What's new

Type 055 DDG News & Discussions

Then it's a real sense Cruiser than a Destroyer.
it is a destroyer. No need to brag.
China will never built cruiser. We are a nation who love peace. The aim of developing armament is to defense our territory and interest.
Pls no more Chinese language. There are some foreigners of Chinese descendent who can understand what you said.

China will never built cruiser. We are a nation who love peace. The aim of developing armament is to defense our territory and interest.
Pls no more Chinese language. There are some foreigners of Chinese descendent who can understand what you said.
Actual its a frigate:toast_sign:

Actual its a frigate:toast_sign:

image.jpeg
If Japanese call this is a helicopter frigate then type 55 is just covette per their standard.

How hypocritical is that!

But isn't Zumwalt of 15,000 tonnage?
Buzz, lets have a civil discussion. US is not exactly an Asian country and Zumwalt is designed for different roles. It is primarily a solo hero, utilizing stealth to do critical naval strike. 055 is designed for accompanying naval battle groups. Furthermore, we all know the problems plaguing the Zumwalt.

Then it's a real sense Cruiser than a Destroyer.

Type 055 is a Destroyer with Cruiser's Firepower and Capabilities :enjoy:

With 12,000 Tonnes Normal Displacement and Full Displacement 14,000 Tonnes , DAMN !

China's Navy classified Type 055 as Destroyer, but US Dod in their 2017 report classified Type 055 Renhai Class as a Cruiser :D

By the way, there is someone post regarding Type 055 in this matter. Worth to read, Credit to @jobjed

Jobjed post regarding Type 055 Destroyer:
The PLAN didn't introduce a fleet-command function onto the 055 so much as they improved it. I've told you this before; all PLAN destroyers have task force-command capabilities but only some have fleet-command capabilities. While the Burkes have no fleet-command capabilities, the 052Ds do, as do other select ships in the PLAN destroyer fleet. Of note, a Type 051 antique and DDG 112 are two of those 'select' ships. The rest of the 051s and DDG 113 do not have those command facilities and are handicapped in that regard like the Burkes.

That is how the PLAN does things; integrate fleet-command facilities into select destroyer hulls. It might be different to how the USN does things but these are PLAN ships and they can delegate to them whatever roles they want. The Type 055 is classified as a destroyer and will be employed like one so it's a destroyer to me. The USN can call it whatever they want when they talking amongst themselves but they're not the ones who conceptualised, developed, built, and will be operating it so their classification is not authoritative beyond USN circles.

As a analogy, if I classified the Burke as neither a destroyer or cruiser, but as an Aegis yatch, the USN isn't going to care how I've classified it because I'm not the one who conceptualised, designed, built, and operated the Burke so my classification is not authoritative. I can call the Burke a yatch when I'm talking to my friends but outside my circle, the Burke is a destroyer, not a yatch. Likewise, outside USN circles, the 055 is a destroyer, not a cruiser.

Last edited:
It is not installed yet, but it doesn't mean the platform is not capable.

Just like the Atago class is more advanced than the Kongo class. However, the Kongo class is equipped the SM-3 missiles, while the Atago class is not.

It depends, but the ultimate goal of the HQ-26 is being capable to intercept the ICBM.
the 'capability' of firing cruise missile, TBM or IRBM or whatever is consists of many things, having the tube and VLS is one thing, but how about software, battle management system and conduct codes?? well, as far as I know, the current 055 does not have those things installed or implemented yet`````maybe on the later version````but it is the most advanced air defense ship the world has ever seen so far!

What Sonar system does it used? Why isthe sooner hull is far more smaller than those US' DDG??
arry arry arry arry````very powerful!

Back
Top Bottom