What's new

Type 055 DDG News & Discussions

Never mind, my friend. That's good, when ppl compare China Type 055 with America Arleigh Burke-III ... here nobody has interest to discuss a old DDG with Arleigh Burke. The new-designed Type 055 DDG (new VLS cell, new missile, new S-band/X-band AESA radar) is the most powerful warship China ever built, as far as I know the position of Type 055 in PLAN will as same as Arleigh Burke in U.S Navy, US need the "Arleigh Burke" and PLAN need more Type 055 DDGs to protect our interests on sea. Looking for the gap between both, after type 055 DDGs China can design better, future will be new class DDG. 8-)

What protection it has against super sonic and hypersonic cruise missile like Brahmos and Brahmos Mk2?

Isn't the Chinese VLS capable of quad-packing more than just an ESSM-sized missile? meaning bigger missiles?
Yes, the VLS on 055 has better performance than MK57 that used on DDG1000, which only have 80 units.
the MK41 on KDX3 is old and small, can't compare with MK57, let alone the VLS on 055.

Sorry I need to correct the price tag: the price PLAN get 052d Destroyer is 500 millions USD, and 800 millions USD for type 055 Cruiser.
should be 600M and 900M I think.

:hitwall:I forget the decimal

the 10 billion RMB(1.5B USD) cost is only guesswork of that "expert". :blah:

Only for things I claim, not for thing I didn't claim.
Besides, I'm doing this for recreation, don't HAVE to do anything and you cannot make me do anything.

However, as indicated, if Raytheon comes up with a concept involving a large (probably steel) structure atop the bridge with 3 radar arrays, while retaining 3 AN/SPG-62s in their original places (a concept which I assume they wouldn't put forward if it wasn't technically feasible), I don't see why a different modification involving a sleek and light structure (e.g. alu) with a four faced APAR isn't possible e.g behind the second stack.

The above deck weight of Thales APAR is lt. 11 tons.

bilde_zps08b04230.jpg%7Eoriginal

T

For Arleigh Burke-class 9K ++ tons size ship add 10 tons to structure is nothing, is no issue for that.
main issue is Arleigh Burke-class is power system and internal space no enough for entire new AMDR system. they need change entire power system, colling system, control system design to increase electric power about 50% in order AMDR S-band & X-band work concurrently, means more space for electric generator (add more or change much large model), addition cooling module, control module and other accessories, this is 30% change of ship design .. means cost increase huge (RnD cost too).
Also my view AB class Flight I already use for 20+ year, it maybe will retire in 8-15 years (assume 35 year lifespan), so no point major upgrade to AMDR.
US Navy should start design new destroyer. after cancel remaining DDG1000.
055 destroyer take advantage due to new design form fresh, so all new radar spec requirement just simply design and fit in.

Yes, the VLS on 055 has better performance than MK57 that used on DDG1000, which only have 80 units.
the MK41 on KDX3 is old and small, can't compare with MK57, let alone the VLS on 055.

MK41 not small, 25 in (635mm) just very ideal size balance missile and space.
well mk41 size is there advantage, in other word china VLS too big, it due to china missile technologies limitation can't make small missile yet, so china have to come out bigger VLS. bigger VLS means need bigger ship to install VLS due to VLS taking more space and pass through more layer of deck.
like MK41 the size provide flexibility to install many kind of small and medium warship, no issue install 3000 tons warship, even like MK56 can install in 900 tons ship.
Bigger VLS also hard for china export VLS due generally china export warship below 3000 tons. even china VLS 3.3 meter, but it too short length, seriously i'm surprising China VLS size is 850mm, it should not more than 700mm or Max 750mm and no 5.x meter class VLS version.
for warship VLS size/weight is matter, due to every space/weight is counting.

well mk41 size is there advantage, in other word china VLS too big, it due to china missile technologies limitation can't make small missile yet, so china have to come out bigger VLS. bigger VLS means need bigger ship to install VLS due to VLS taking more space and pass through more layer of deck.
like MK41 the size provide flexibility to install many kind of small and medium warship, no issue install 3000 tons warship, even like MK56 can install in 900 tons ship.
Bigger VLS also hard for china export VLS due generally china export warship below 3000 tons. even china VLS 3.3 meter, but it too short length, seriously i'm surprising China VLS size is 850mm, it should not more than 700mm or Max 750mm and no 5.x meter class VLS version.

1. Most advanced/sci-fi tech/mighty DDG-1000 installed MK-57 VLS, why? for fun?
2. Bigger VLS can fit 4-in-1 pack small diameter missiles.
3. China has "small" VLS, on 054A ship.

1. Most advanced/sci-fi tech/mighty DDG-1000 installed MK-57 VLS, why? for fun?
2. Bigger VLS can fit 4-in-1 pack small diameter missiles.
3. China has "small" VLS, on 054A ship.

1)MK57 still much smaller than China VLS
2)MK41 "small" also enough to quadpack 4-1 ESSM missile, future CAMM.
3)That Small VLS is in 4500 tons warship.

For Arleigh Burke-class 9K ++ tons size ship add 10 tons to structure is nothing, is no issue for that.
main issue is Arleigh Burke-class is power system and internal space no enough for entire new AMDR system. they need change entire power system, colling system, control system design to increase electric power about 50% in order AMDR S-band & X-band work concurrently, means more space for electric generator (add more or change much large model), addition cooling module, control module and other accessories, this is 30% change of ship design .. means cost increase huge (RnD cost too).
Also my view AB class Flight I already use for 20+ year, it maybe will retire in 8-15 years (assume 35 year lifespan), so no point major upgrade to AMDR.
US Navy should start design new destroyer. after cancel remaining DDG1000.
055 destroyer take advantage due to new design form fresh, so all new radar spec requirement just simply design and fit in.
:tup:
•The AMDR-X radar will provide horizon search, precision tracing, missile communications, and final illumination guidance to targets.
•The AMDR-S radar will provide wide-area volume search, tracking, Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) discrimination, and missile communications. While CG (X) and its DDG-51 Flight III replacement are both “blue water” ships, requirements do call for defense against very low observable/very low flyer (VLO/VLF) threats in heavy land, sea, and rain clutter, where S-band has some advantages.
•The back-end Radar Suite Controller (RSC) will perform all coordination, ensuring that the radars work well together.

AMDR S-band and X-band radars work together, that need more electric power supply.

What protection it has against super sonic and hypersonic cruise missile like Brahmos and Brahmos Mk2?
Current defence method is CIWS + RAM(HHQ-10) + Missiles in VLS (HQ-9B or HQ-26 maybe) ... but that need Brahmos from india to prove it work.:mod:

Last edited:

Since when China is intend to export things like 055DDG?

China wont export J-20, and same can be said for 055DDG, nor do China export their strategic UAVs.Larger VLS can accommodate larger missiles, which translated into larger payload/better radar/electrics/longer range and more flexible/better upgrade potentials.

You can always wish that Brahmos may not work. Because once it is fired, it will be the only defense you will have. You guys are communist so parheps you will not pray got but you can certainly wish that it may not work.

Nobody give a damn about your bromos whatever crap, you can feel free to leave.

You can always wish that Brahmos may not work. Because once it is fired, it will be the only defense you will have. You guys are communist so parheps you will not pray got but you can certainly wish that it may not work.
Well, before Brahmos born out ... China already produced & served YJ series supersonic anti-ship missiles in PLAN, if u read carefully U.S National Defence White Paper from the Pentagon, u can find out it mostly emphasizes the threat from China Missiles not Brahmos ... my suggestion is try Brahmos to Type055, after that it's YJ missiles turn back and see who left on water surface.

YJ-18 serving in PLAN
yj-18.gif

YJ-12 serving in PLAN, watch the 'S' attack-track from China official news
22460659.gif

YJ12.gif

Last edited:

Nope, I ain't a Communist... Communism, Marxism is an ideology.

I am simply an agnostic. Does it make any difference then? :-) lol

To say it seriously, a military force is having a serious problem when all they can do is praying, praying and praying!

Not sure you're aware or not, the Chinese people has a saying: "Pray to God, but keep rowing toward the shore."

Last edited:
Well, before Brahmos born out ... China already produced & served YJ series supersonic anti-ship missiles in PLAN, if u read carefully U.S National Defence White Paper from the Pentagon, u can find out it mostly emphasizes the threat from China Missiles not Brahmos ... my suggestion is try Brahmos to Type055, after that it's YJ missiles turn back and see who left on water surface.

YJ-18 serving in PLAN
View attachment 379201

YJ-12 serving in PLAN, watch the 'S' attack-track from China official news
View attachment 379204
View attachment 379205

very interesting gifs. what shall they show? YJ-18 and YJ-12? which one is which?

1. both video stills don't belong together. makes sense when both are different weaps.
2. the two stills with view from above, for sure no impacts. I would say a delayed igniter. It's pretty funny, the yield of the warhead is wasted to the outer side of the ship. Can't imagine this as a success. So that one would not have been a kill.
3. In contrast, the first gif shows an unitkill.

so again, what is the claim, these stills are showing?

Mighty brahmos will definitly sink every targets, include Chinese ships, be happy. :cheers:

very interesting gifs. what shall they show? YJ-18 and YJ-12? which one is which?

1. both video stills don't belong together. makes sense when both are different weaps.
2. the two stills with view from above, for sure no impacts. I would say a delayed igniter. It's pretty funny, the yield of the warhead is wasted to the outer side of the ship. Can't imagine this as a success. So that one would not have been a kill.
3. In contrast, the first gif shows an unitkill.

so again, what is the claim, these stills are showing?

the target in GIF is a small boat, you can tell this from the size of the missile.
In real combat, target of YJ12/18 should have double or even triple body width of that small target boat.

your reply style is called "I'm smarter than designer style" in China forum. :lol::lol:

Mighty brahmos will definitly sink every targets, include Chinese ships, be happy. :cheers:

the target in GIF is a small boat, you can tell this from the size of the missile.
In real combat, target of YJ12/18 should have double or even triple body width of that small target boat.

your reply style is called "I'm smarter than designer style" in China forum. :lol::lol:

Thanx for telling me what my reply style is like. I was wandering the whole life how it is. Now i can die wise, because of you very very knowing guy. Thank you very much master...

And I am realy impressed from you, seeing from a roughly pixle picture the size of object. Again, you are so wise, I thank you very much. Please share more of your great knowledge and enlight us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom