What's new

Two nuclear power plants to be commissioned by 2016

Why isn.t china providing pakistan higher capacity reactors, like the 750 or 1000 MW types? I think the 330 MW types are outdated,though I may be wrong.

I think there r 2 main reasons for that :
1. Money - 1000MW Reactor means billions of Dollars.

2. Fuel - Neither Pak got any sizeable Uranium Reserves nor it can buy Uranium from world market.

Mate you are an idealist. This project not only caters to our "energy needs", it also has other benefits. Every time we put up a new reactor (assemble / commission), our knowledge in this field multiplies manifolds. We are at the cusp of manufacturing our very first PWR reactor. All of this practical knowledge aids in that goal...

I don't like this project. You have better and cheaper resources like Thar coal and Kalabagh Dam which are sufficient to not only meet the demands of today's Pakistan but enough to export it too. Kalabagh Dam would not only provide electricity but manage the water follow. If the dam was built, billions worth loss would have been avoided during the flash floods in the last three consecutive years.

Thar coal however, would provide cheapest electricity and would be ideal for export which would give a huge boost to Pakistan's exports hence economy. Watch the interview of Dr. Samar Mubarakband on this matter.

@arp2041, any geological map with thorium occurrence (India)? I want to see if it's geographically close to Pakistan. To check it from international databases for Pakistan is useless, as they'd purposely not show it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@arp2041, any geological map with thorium occurrence (India)? I want to see if it's geographically close to Pakistan. To check it from international databases for Pakistan is useless, as they'd purposely not show it.

India's Thorium reserves are in Southern India; mainly in Kerala. That is about as geographically far from Pakistan as it can get.
Unless the "continental drift" brings the Kerala Coast next to Karachi.....:azn:

Thanks, just needed an idea. Btw, if my memory serves me right, Thorium is more abundantly available (compared to uranium) around the world, is that true?

Lemme research a bit about it.... :D

India's Thorium reserves are in Southern India; mainly in Kerala. That is about as geographically far from Pakistan as it can get.
Unless the "continental drift" brings the Kerala Coast next to Karachi.....:azn:

Edit: seems it's spread in the central, Eastern and Southern states.

Thanks, just needed an idea. Btw, if my memory serves me right, Thorium is more abundantly available (compared to uranium) around the world, is that true?

Lemme research a bit about it.... :D

For starters; try this link:
Reserve estimates of thorium around the world | Thorium Forum

Excerpt from that link:

Present knowledge of the distribution of thorium resources is poor because of the relatively low-key exploration efforts arising out of insignificant demand. There are two sets of estimates that define world thorium reserves, one set by the US Geological Survey (USGS) and the other supported by reports from the OECD and the International Atomic Energy Agency (the IAEA). Under the USGS estimate, USA, Australia and India have particularly large reserves of thorium.

Both the IAEA and OECD appear to conclude that India may actually possess the lion's share of world's thorium deposits. The Government of India's latest estimate, shared in the country's Parliament in August 2011, puts the recoverable reserve at 846,477 tonnes.

OECD assessment
India and Australia are believed to possess about 300,000 tonnes each; i.e. each country possessing 25% of the world's thorium reserves.[65] However, in the OECD reports, estimates of Australia's Reasonably Assured Reserves (RAR) of thorium indicate only 19,000 tonnes and not 300,000 tonnes as indicated by USGS. The two sources vary wildly for countries such as Brazil, Turkey, and Australia. However, both reports appear to show some consistency with respect to India's thorium reserve figures, with 290,000 tonnes (USGS) and 319,000 tonnes (OECD/IAEA).

Apropos Thorium reserves world wide:

rare earths resources. Country Tonnes % of total
India 846,000 16
Turkey 744,000 14
Brazil 606,000 11
Australia 521,000 10
USA 434,000 8
Egypt 380,000 7
Norway 320,000 6
Venezuela 300,000 6
Canada 172,000 3
Russia 155,000 3
South Africa 148,000 3
China 100,000 2
Greenland 86,000 2
Finland 60,000 1
Sweden 50,000 1
Kazakhstan 50,000 1
Other countries 413,000 8
World total 5,385,000

The source for this info is:
Thorium

Dude, as said by Capt. Popeye, the Thorium reserves are present in the southern Indian states mainly Kerala.

If the 3 stages nuclear program of India gets succeeded we will be soon utilizing the Thorium reserves to produce energy from our breeder reactors.

Mind You, India will be called KSA when it comes to Thorium reserves ;)

Yea, and Turkey will be known as the USA of the new world......again THE Emperor shall come first... :omghaha:

Dude, as said by Capt. Popeye, the Thorium reserves are present in the southern Indian states mainly Kerala.

If the 3 stages nuclear program of India gets succeeded we will be soon utilizing the Thorium reserves to produce energy from our breeder reactors.

Mind You, India will be called KSA when it comes to Thorium reserves ;)

Edit: seems it's spread in the central, Eastern and Southern states.

The best quality Thorium reserves are in the Monazite Beach sands in Kerala. This is on the basis of Reasonably Assured Reserves (RAR) Studies. Though there are reserves scattered all over India.

we need to put some fund into any agency for possible thorium reserves in pakistan

as china succeed in FBR..we can strike deal with them to manufacture the FBR in pakistan instead of uranium fueled one.

i guess no step is taken to discover thorium in pakistan yet

Back
Top Bottom