What's new

Two More Pinaka variants under development :OFB Chief.

Gandalf

BANNED
Reaction score
Two More Pinaka variants under development :OFB Chief.
Published January 5, 2013 | By admin

After the success of the Pinaka multiple rocket launcher, ordnance factories are now developing two more of its variants, Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) chairman Sudhir Kumar Beri said here on Friday.

At present, there are two variants of the Pinaka and efforts are on to develop two more variants that can strike targets at double the existing range. A Detailed Project Report (DPR) was already sent to the government for approval, Mr. Beri said.

This apart, there are plans to enhance the production of the existing Pinaka rocket launchers from 2,000 to 5,000 per annum, he told The Hindu on the sidelines of 42nd All India Ordnance and Ordnance Equipment Factories Annual athletic meet 2012-13 at the Medak ordnance factory.

On the delay in overtaking the ailing Hindustan Cables Limited (HCL)’s three units in Hyderabad, Rupnarayanpur in West Bengal and Naini in Allahabad, Mr. Beri replied that the government was expected to take a decision by February.

“We are hopeful that it will be a positive decision. About Rs. 1,500 crore has to be spent on these units for creating necessary facilities,” he said.

It will be an advantage for the OFB to acquire the three HCL units as 1,400 acres of land is available with the units.

Besides, there are quarters, power infrastructure and water supply as well. Barring the machinery, the infrastructure will help the OFB set up an ammunition production unit or night device equipment production unit, he explains.

He said the government sanctioned Rs. 15,000-crore for the modernisation and enhancement of the production capacity of ordnance factories under the 12th Five Year Plan.

Two More Pinaka variants under development : OFB Chief | idrw.org

WTF, just double???? existing is 40km

while there were reports that new pinaka mbrls would be having a range of 120+ km........

1. Does the Pinaka trials you are referring to concern the extended range Pinaka Mk2 with a range of 120 km or just heavier payload

2. Dont you think it will be more prudent to sign ToT and develop the 6 barrel version of Smerch M in India which is much lighter and can be useful as part of the upcoming Moutain Strike Corps

In 2005, ARDE announced that it was developing a 7.2 metre rocket for the Pinaka MBRL, which reach a distance of 120 km and carry a 250 kg payload [14]. These new rockets can be ripple fired in 44 seconds, have a maximum speed of Mach 4.7, rise to an altitude of 40 km before hitting its target at Mach 1.8 and can destroy an area of 3.9 sq km [15]. The rocket's range is enhanced by a unique dual thrust system, which will be used in the initial thrust at the time of launch and will be reduced substantially during flight time [16]. Integrating UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) with the Pinaka is also in the pipeline, as DRDO intends to install guidance systems on these rockets to increase their accuracy [17]. Development and trials will continue and the rocket is only expected to enter service by 2012 [18].

Is it only me or everyone thinks that ToT is a HOGWASH !!!! I mean we can't develop the product any more. What is the use of the design documents then ?

Is it only me or everyone thinks that ToT is a HOGWASH !!!! I mean we can't develop the product any more. What is the use of the design documents then ?

I am not a expert in this but the range of the rocket depend on the propulsion system and amount of fuel. For extended range we need better and efficient propulsion system. What we get in TOT is for 40Km range. And OFB is supposed to develope 60/80 km range rockets with that. For higher range say 120km + we are buy Smerch from Russia. I am not sure what is going to be called but it's not Pinaka -2.
Pinaka -2 will be derivative of Pinaka-1 with extended range ( 60-80 km)

WTF, just double???? existing is 40km

while there were reports that new pinaka mbrls would be having a range of 120+ km........

1. Does the Pinaka trials you are referring to concern the extended range Pinaka Mk2 with a range of 120 km or just heavier payload

2. Dont you think it will be more prudent to sign ToT and develop the 6 barrel version of Smerch M in India which is much lighter and can be useful as part of the upcoming Moutain Strike Corps

The representation has been inaccurate.

Right now there are 2 versions of Pinaka with 30-35km and 39.4km respectively.

The 3rd one is a full 40km version with improved systems and accuracy, the 4th one
will be a 120-km MBRL, a new design, and no, its name wont be Pinaka, it'll have a
different name. And its calibre will be around 300-350mm, not 214mm.

Earlier there were plans to build a 60km version too but now that plan is shelved,
40km and then 120km itself.The present variants will begin to replace the 122mm
BM-21 Grad MBRL in the following decade, the 120-km version will replace the
Smerch-M 300mm MBRL.

i think Smerch has operational range of 850 km, i am not sure what is indian Smerch range?

India should try to get hand on 9A52-4 Tornado,it is equipped with GLONASS satellite navigation system,which will make it more lethal. As india will have GLONASS access for military use, so india should get few 9A52-4 Tornado system too. Its lightweight and more mobile.

The representation has been inaccurate.

Right now there are 2 versions of Pinaka with 30-35km and 39.4km respectively.

The 3rd one is a full 40km version with improved systems and accuracy, the 4th one
will be a 120-km MBRL, a new design, and no, its name wont be Pinaka, it'll have a
different name. And its calibre will be around 300-350mm, not 214mm.

Earlier there were plans to build a 60km version too but now that plan is shelved,
40km and then 120km itself.The present variants will begin to replace the 122mm
BM-21 Grad MBRL in the following decade, the 120-km version will replace the
Smerch-M 300mm MBRL.
What is the point of just increasing range by .6 KM. It does not make any sense.

i think Smerch has operational range of 850 km, i am not sure what is indian Smerch range?

India should try to get hand on 9A52-4 Tornado,it is equipped with GLONASS satellite navigation system,which will make it more lethal. As india will have GLONASS access for military use, so india should get few 9A52-4 Tornado system too. Its lightweight and more mobile.

The top-line variant of the BM-30 Smerch rockets,,,the 9M528, has a max effective range of 90km only.

Im sure any MBRL can be easily transported by jets like C-17 Globemaster-III, so, I dont see any
requirement for the 9A52-4 version. India's Smerch has a max range of around 70km I think, but Im not
sure, it could be upto 90km.

What is the point of just increasing range by .6 KM. It does not make any sense.

Its not compulsory for an improved variant to have 10-20km more effective range than its predecessor.

The improvements are in other areas, like software & electronics.

Back
Top Bottom