What's new

Two Indians held for link to Mumbai case: Evidence of home-grown terrorism?

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Two Indians held for link to Mumbai case: Evidence of home-grown terrorism?

KOLKATA, Dec 6: Police arrested two Indian men accused of illegally buying mobile phone cards, allegedly used by militants in the Mumbai attacks, in the first known arrests since the bloody siege ended last week, officials said on Saturday.

It was not immediately clear whether the two had prior knowledge of the attacks. If they did, the arrests could represent evidence of home-grown ties to the attacks and be a blow to Indian officials who have blamed the massacre entirely on Pakistani extremists.

Police said another Indian citizen who was arrested in February in northern India carrying hand-drawn sketches of hotels, the train terminal and other sites that were later attacked was being brought to Mumbai for renewed questioning.

One of the arrested men, Tauseef Rahman, allegedly bought SIM cards by providing fake documents, including identification cards of dead people, senior police official Rajeev Kumar said in Kolkata.

Rahman of West Bengal state later sold them to Mukhtar Ahmed, Kumar said. Both men were arrested on Friday and charged with fraud and criminal conspiracy. The SIM cards were allegedly used by the gunmen later.

Police said they were still investigating how the 10 gunmen obtained the SIM cards, and declined to offer more details.

Most large Indian cities, including Kolkata, where the SIM cards were purchased, have thriving black markets for mobile phone cards and cheap phones.

Also on Saturday, Mumbai police said they were transporting Faheem Ansari, the man arrested in February, from custody in northern India to Mumbai to answer more questions, hoping he could shed more light on the attacks.

Rakesh Maria, a senior Mumbai police officer, said he believed there was a definite connection between Ansari and the Mumbai attacks. “Ansari was trained by Lashkar-e-Taiba and sent to do reconnaissance,” Maria said.

The interrogation of the lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai attacks revealed that the gunmen had detailed pictures of the locations, Maria said.

“They were pretty elaborate photographs,” he said, adding that they had also used maps from Google to study the targets.

News of the February arrest has added to a torrent of criticism about missed warnings and botched intelligence.

Meanwhile, explosives were found at a private nursing home in the western Indian city of Nagpur, prompting the evacuation of dozens of people, local media reported on Saturday.

A sniffer dog located what the police bomb detection and disposal squad called “a live bomb” wrapped in a plastic bag at the facility, the Press Trust of India news agency said.

‘Undercover officer’

Officials say one of the two Indians arrested for illegally buying mobile phone cards used by the gunmen in the Mumbai attacks is a counter-insurgency police officer who may have been on an undercover mission.

A senior police official in occupied Kashmir says the man, identified as Mukhtar Ahmed, is part of a semi-official counter-insurgency network whose members are usually drawn from among former militants.

The official says Kolkata police, who are holding Ahmed, have been told he is “our man and its now up to them how to facilitate his release.” The officer spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the information.—Agencies

After reading this I am not surprised but I have made a deduction.

Those bags are way too nice to cover their faces.

They were initially saying that no locals were involved. Now they are coming up with locals. So it would had been wise if they would had waited a bit before reaching conclusion.

December 07, 2008

Claims he has evidence to prove that local leaders were involved and will reveal all in right time.

Narayan Rane, suspended by the Congress for his outburst against Sonia Gandhi when he didn’t get the CM’s post, launched another broadside on Saturday, this time alleging the involvement of local political leaders in the terrorist attack on Mumbai. “I have concrete information that anti-national elements were provided logistics and financial support by political leaders.” According to him, no terrorist operation of this magnitude was possible without support from local political leaders. He did not name the leaders or their party. He only said he would disclose details “at an appropriate time”.

Reacting to the charge, BJP general secretary Vinod Tawde said, “We have always maintained it was the ruling Congress-NCP administration’s failure on all fronts. But if somebody from the Congress is levelling such a charge, it cannot be overlooked.”

A senior Congress minister said, “I think the anti-terrorism squad (ATS) officials should immediately interrogate Rane to ascertain the facts. If he has concrete information, he should immediately share it with the investigating officials. And if he’s lying Rane should be dealt accordingly.”

While ATS and crime branch officials maintained silence, a minister close to NCP president Sharad Pawar expressed shock: “Doesn’t he realise the impact it will have in international fora?”

Refusing to divulge his gameplan, Rane made it clear that he was ready to engage in a long drawn out battle with Deshmukh, he said, “I am going to expose his misdeed every day. Waiving a copy of a CAG report. Deshmukh invited adverse remarks for misappropriation of Rs1.19 crore invested in Vilasrao Deshmukh Latur Institution.”

They were initially saying that no locals were involved. Now they are coming up with locals. So it would had been wise if they would had waited a bit before reaching conclusion.

Those were initial speculations by Media. It is never possible to do such an attack with out local help. But in the above case, they have either provided logistics, information or some other kind of assistance. I'm sure there will be some more locals get caught sooner than later.

Those were initial speculations by Media. It is never possible to do such an attack with out local help. But in the above case, they have either provided logistics, information or some other kind of assistance. I'm sure there will be some more locals get caught sooner than later.

sounds like a change of position.

What change of position?. Did I say the terrorists of attack were not Pakistani?. Please point out if I did so.

He might be true that locals might have provided logistics. But making such a statement now is only because he is a sore loser. He will not carry much weight.

It would be wise of Indian officials to interrogate him first and find what "claimed evidence" he has.

Also he needs to be kept in tight security as whistle blowers often get killed "mysteriously".

He might be true that locals might have provided logistics.

He is not only talking about ordinary locals. He is very much clear that "local politicians" were involved.

Truth can only be relieved after investigation.

He is not only talking about ordinary locals. He is very much clear that "local politicians" were involved.

Truth can only be relieved after investigation.

These politicians change their colors when they don't get what they want. He didn't get CM position and now he is crying foul. If he was really sincere he should have alerted authorities much before. It is nothing but political drama by such dimwits.

All indian media was saying that 10 men came in boats & attack on mumbai ..

now local people came ...

1 American Senator ( Dont know his Name ) once said :

" Indians are very Intelligent Peoples except when it comes to PAKISTAN "

Rather than being a thorn in the backside, and without gloating about the Mumbai massacre, maybe Pakistan can come aboard and jointly help India in reducing/eliminating terrorism from the sub-continent.
I see many Pakistanis in self denial about the terror attacks. Pakistan is also a victim , more so than India. Every sector of Pakistan be it hotels, army cannts, railways , shops have been attacked by terrorists.
Now its the time to acknowledge that the ISI and Pak establishment in general have nurtured terrrorists like LET , Jaish E Mohomed, Taliban who are now trying to destroy , Pakistan and India.
So therefore,its in both nations interest to destroy this evil before it engulfs our both nations ! I hate to say it, but if Pak stays smug about this, one day , nuke bombs supplied by rogue ISI agents to terrorist orgs would result in 'tabahi' over Islamabad and Delhi

Rather than being a thorn in the backside, and without gloating about the Mumbai massacre, maybe Pakistan can come aboard and jointly help India in reducing/eliminating terrorism from the sub-continent.
I see many Pakistanis in self denial about the terror attacks. Pakistan is also a victim , more so than India. Every sector of Pakistan be it hotels, army cannts, railways , shops have been attacked by terrorists.
Now its the time to acknowledge that the ISI and Pak establishment in general have nurtured terrrorists like LET , Jaish E Mohomed, Taliban who are now trying to destroy , Pakistan and India.
So therefore,its in both nations interest to destroy this evil before it engulfs our both nations ! I hate to say it, but if Pak stays smug about this, one day , nuke bombs supplied by rogue ISI agents to terrorist orgs would result in 'tabahi' over Islamabad and Delhi
Here comes another ******* without any proof whatsoever.....What the **** are you talking about dude?I think you're in denial.We've been willing to help unfortunately Indians are arrogant and have denied Pakistan's help and regarding nukes..they're safe.You will only see nukes in Delhi and in your hometown if you attack Pakistan.For **** sake just increase Raw budget and (quality) and stop crying about ISI...
Thanks........

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom