What's new

TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF INDIAN SUBCONTINENT

That was just an example. These others are just that sort. I object to playing Holi, and nobody fiddles with me. That's because it's Calcutta. In Delhi, I wouldn't get away, I'd get destroyed.

So you are ok with us celebrating everyone's religious festivals out on the street?

Great. :)

We are Indians Joe. We do it on the street. Together.

We are not Germans.

So you are ok with us celebrating everyone's religious festivals out on the street?

Great. :)

We are Indians Joe. We do it on the street. Together.

We are not Germans.

Properly licensed. Controlled. Regulated. Gestuert, reguliert.

Joe I said Biryani not to offend Hindu sensibilities.

On Eid, like on any of our other festivals, we are out on the road.

They have food stalls on the road. Selling the most delicious beef dishes.

No one chucks color if you glare man. If they do, chase them. If they are bigger than you, go home and change your shirt quietly.

Same with bombs. Though I draw the line on morons throwing them under bikes.

We are a loud people Joe. You are going non-religious mulla on us I am afraid.

We have the right to be religious, just as you have the right not to.

Since there are more of us who are, and very inclusively, we are the majority, and in a democracy, that just means you need to grin and bear it or sit at home.

I am sorry dada but your recipe is nowhere close to "true" secularism.

I do not buy into this true secularism spiel to be honest.

We will do it our way. And we will do it better. For us.

That's all that's really important.

It is,as much as mine,

Just disagreeing.

That's OK, then.

Joe I said Biryani not to offend Hindu sensibilities.

On Eid, like on any of our other festivals, we are out on the road.

They have food stalls on the road. Selling the most delicious beef dishes.

No one chucks color if you glare man. If they do, chase them. If they are bigger than you, go home and change your shirt quietly.

Same with bombs. Though I draw the line on morons throwing them under bikes.

We are a loud people Joe. You are going non-religious mulla on us I am afraid.

We have the right to be religious, just as you have the right not to.

Since there are more of us who are, and very inclusively, we are the majority, and in a democracy, that just means you need to grin and bear it or sit at home.

I am sorry dada but your recipe is nowhere close to "true" secularism.

I do not buy into this true secularism spiel to be honest.

We will do it our way. And we will do it better. For us.

That's all that's really important.

And that's why you have every single sliver congregation out whenever their particular branch of whatever it is that they are up and excited about gets worked over - in their minds, and it doesn't have to be real, they have to feel it's real, that's all.

And that's why you have every single sliver congregation out whenever their particular branch of whatever it is that they are up and excited about gets worked over - in their minds, and it doesn't have to be real, they have to feel it's real, that's all.

I agree on that one Joe.

Now we are talking.

Uniform Civil Code?

Too Draconian?

I agree on that one Joe.

Now we are talking.

Uniform Civil Code?

Too Draconian?

I don't get that one. We already have the option for every single citizen to use a non-religious code. Many of us use it. My wife and I got married thrice, the Bengali way, the Iyengar way, and a civil ceremony. The civil ceremony overrules everything. My daughter is using only a civil ceremony, though her fiancee is a Bengali Hindu as well. We didn't do the sanskars for my dad because he specifically forbade it. We can write a will, and it is valid.

So what is wrong with getting everyone to join it when theyare good and ready?

So what is wrong with getting everyone to join it when theyare good and ready?

Because the Indian state is made up of the Indian legislature, and as a secular state, has no business drafting different sets of laws according to different faiths.

That and the fact that left to themselves, some people will never be ready. And those amongst them will keep getting exploited. On our watch.

Because the Indian state is made up of the Indian legislature, and as a secular state, has no business drafting different sets of laws according to different faiths.

That and the fact that left to themselves, some people will never be ready. And those amongst them will keep getting exploited. On our watch.

And where exactly are people drafting different sets of laws according to different faiths? AFAIK, there have only been amendments to existing law. The only new law has been anti-conversion laws in several states, which I believe will not stand judicial challenge.

I am with you on this one doc but unfortunately I can't write detailed post till evening. Sit

And where exactly are people drafting different sets of laws according to different faiths? AFAIK, there have only been amendments to existing law. The only new law has been anti-conversion laws in several states, which I believe will not stand judicial challenge.

I meant different sets of laws governing marriage, divorce, inheritance, and property rights for people of different faiths.

Why are those needed?

I am with you on this one doc but unfortunately I can't write detailed post till evening. Sit

Tchah! And one more rat deserts the sinking ship!

I meant different sets of laws governing marriage, divorce, inheritance, and property rights for people of different faiths.

Why are those needed?

Because every faith defines these differently.Whenever members of two different faiths marry, it is the civil law that applies, so why are some of us obsessed with what happens between consenting adults?

Back
Top Bottom