• I agree but,....

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't agree

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the moment its became more than 2 hours since last election info come out of Anatiolian Agency its clear who won Istanbul but lets see what kind game they will try to pull.

What I found interesting is that votes started to come in strong late for the CHP candidate. Really strong. This is like in Amerika where the Democratic polling stations come in last in the inner cities to switch things late. But this was more severe.

That said, Erdogan won everything but two mayor seats, and those mayor seats are in progressive lefty cities. Having about 52% of total votes is a mandate. The two next parties failed reach 40% combined.

I was concerned with the economic war on Erdogan, there would be some cracks, but there was nothing.

İt's obvious CHP won Istanbul. Even Erdos speech was such as confession.
Can I ask what happens if Edrogan has lost major cities? His party is still in the majority though with Alliance party MHP?

(I am new here in this topic, just trying to get a better understanding of whats happening)

AKP+MHP 52% oy aldı ... oy kaybı yok
gecmiş olsun ABD/FETO yine kaybettin .. kirli oyununuzu bu aziz millet yine bozdu

artık 4,5 yıl secim yok ... tüm enerjimizi ekonomik saldırıların actıgı yaraları sarmak ve PKK/YPG - FETO Terör örgütlerini tepelemeye devam etmek için harcayacagız

Can I ask what happens if Edrogan has lost major cities? His party is still in the majority though with Alliance party MHP?

(I am new here in this topic, just trying to get a better understanding of whats happening)

The AKP has held them for decades under very popular support of the AKP for decades. Now that there is no shift in national vote, just two more liberal cities go CHP, the CHP thinks this is some victory, when they did not gain any new support nationwide. Extend the mayoral races to the entire province, and the AKP would win by landslides. There used to no big difference between cities and towns. Now that is polarizing as a result of the economic war on Erdogan.

AKP+MHP 52% oy aldı ... oy kaybı yok
gecmiş olsun ABD/FETO yine kaybettin .. kirli oyununuzu bu aziz millet yine bozdu

Like the two previous presidential elections.

In Turkey where the GDP is very asymmetrically distributed three big cities plus several other industrial cities such as Kocaeli, Bursa, Gaziantep, Kayseri, Denizli etc. command huge amounts of funds compared to other cities in rural areas. This is important for several reasons: first one being that Turks believe if you can rule over İstanbul you can pretty much rule the whole country, so this can be used for a stepping stone for bigger things and a chance to actually prove that you can govern. (Actually this is how President Erdoğan proved himself as well by succeeding in İstanbul) Since these cities command huge budgets (I'm pretty sure that İstanbul's is probably bigger than most of the 3rd world countries) throughout the history of the republic political parties used these money to create their own economic elite.

Also prestige. Even the plate number of İstanbul commands some respect in the rural cities. If you lose İstanbul you lose the financial capital of the country, if you lose Bursa you lose one of the biggest automotive producing cities in Europe, if you lose Gaziantep you lose the most industrialized city in Levant etc.

In Turkey where the GDP is very asymmetrically distributed three big cities plus several other industrial cities such as Kocaeli, Bursa, Gaziantep, Kayseri, Denizli etc. command huge amounts of funds compared to other cities in rural areas. This is important for several reasons: first one being that Turks believe if you can rule over İstanbul you can pretty much rule the whole country, so this can be used for a stepping stone for bigger things and a chance to actually prove that you can govern. (Actually this is how President Erdoğan proved himself as well by succeeding in İstanbul) Since these cities command huge budgets (I'm pretty sure that İstanbul's is probably bigger than most of the 3rd world countries) throughout the history of the republic political parties used these money to create their own economic elite.

Also prestige. Even the plate number of İstanbul commands some respect in the rural cities. If you lose İstanbul you lose the financial capital of the country, if you lose Bursa you lose one of the biggest automotive producing cities in Europe, if you lose Gaziantep you lose the most industrialized city in Levant etc.

If there is a carry over, the President won't face any change, but the Parliament will. No super-majorities. A 55% majority in the Parliament. So less than now.

If there is a carry over, the President won't face any change, but the Parliament will. No super-majorities. A 55% majority in the Parliament. So less than now.

Chp didn´t won it by it self, they have made a coalition with 3 parties. I am curious what kind agreement they have made with hdp. With out hdp they couldn´t win Istanbul and Ankara, so ther will be a price.

Did you even understand what I am talking about? Never mentioned anything about the majority in the parliement or never have I mentioned about the president facing with charges. This is not a parliamentary elections anyway to begin with so there is no majority involved. @Hiraa asked about what the big three of Turkish cities means to the average Mehmet and I explained just that.

It would be pretty logical to think that when talking about Turkey a Turk would have a better idea compared to someone who is living abroad and/or doesn't even carry Turkish passport to start with.

Did you even understand what I am talking about? Never mentioned anything about the majority in the parliement or never have I mentioned about the president facing with charges. This is not a parliamentary elections anyway to begin with so there is no majority involved. @Hiraa asked about what the big three of Turkish cities means to the average Mehmet and I explained just that.

It would be pretty logical to think that when talking about Turkey a Turk would have a better idea compared to someone who is living abroad and/or doesn't even carry Turkish passport to start with.

They can all be gained back next election. There was no national movement against the AKP. No real changes in the votes.

I studied political science in the university. Including comparative politics around the globe.

Did you even notice that nearly all the CHP candidates look Galatian or Maygar, except the CHP leader. And nearly all the MHP/AKP candidates look Southern Italian to Lebanese (ie: like native Anatolians).

I know far more about the real dynamics of Turkish politics than you.

Last edited:
They can all be gained back next election. There was no national movement against the AKP. No real changes in the votes.

I studied political science in the university. Including comparative politics around the globe.

Still, never mentioned about anything related to AKP. What I try to explain is about unwritten rules of Turkish politics, which every Turk knows that losing İstanbul kinda tells something, where the election results are debatable right now. Even so, never talked anything about whether the ruling party lost or whether this is a win for the opposition. My post is only and only about what the big three of Turkish cities means to the average Mehmet and I explained just that.

What this discourse of yours is called refuting the central point in the literature where you knowingly/unknowingly miss my main point and make it convoluted so that you can actually prove your point. I honestly couldn't care less what you studied, I study Computer Science but that doesn't mean that a piece of paper given from some university around the globe would make you have a better opinion about the country I grown up in. So, feel free to add anything if you think that you can actually contribute something meaningful to @Hiraa's question earlier, which was about what would it mean to lose Ankara or İstanbul for AKP.

Edit: oops, made a mistake

An Early election seems to be soon.
Furthermore Erdoğan started his career as mayor of İstanbul city 25 years ago. He has always been related with İstanbul . Istanbul has been his castle . But today he lost İstanbul. Most of his supporters from country side.

An Early election seems to be soon.
Furthermore Erdoğan started his career as mayor of İstanbul city 25 years ago. He has always been related with İstanbul . Istanbul has been his castle . But today he lost İstanbul. Most of his supporters from country side.

Why call an early election, when your party won the majority, but without a landslide victory. Early election, if Erdogan won Istanbul and Ankara. CHP wants an early election, to build on the mayor races. No reason for the AKP to comply, no need to be overly concerned when there was not any real loss in numbers as %, only marginal 1-2% loss.

CHPs candidate didn't win his rival BinAli he indeed defeated Erdoğan.
Little political character defeated Erdo because AKP used in election campaign Erdoğans photos and charisma in every where.

Also CHPs candidate is mighty because he is able to have Anatolian news agency blocked!!!!!
It is the first time in Turkish political history Anatolian News Agency's agents stopped entering information which is in front of themm

Why call an early election, when your party won the majority, but without a landslide victory. Early election, if Erdogan won Istanbul and Ankara. CHP wants an early election, to build on the mayor races. No reason for the AKP to comply, no need to be overly concerned when there was not any real loss in numbers as %, only marginal 1-2% loss.
Early election is fear of Erdo who mentioned about balcony speech.

There are very reasonable reasons for Turkish citizens who feel immensely economic and political crises.
At least it's time to abolish presidential system which doesn't allow state intitutes to work .

Did you even notice that nearly all the CHP candidates look Galatian or Maygar, except the CHP leader. And nearly all the MHP/AKP candidates look Southern Italian to Lebanese (ie: like native Anatolians).
Turks are mixed much more than you think, there are 2 million Circassians which are actually hardcore AKP supporters, 5 to 8 million Turks from Balkan descent and approximately 4 million people from Crimean Tatar stock which believe or not all look very European, add them to the local stock of Greek/Thracian genes in the Aegean and in the Black Sea and you would have a fairly sizeable population with Slavic looking features, whereas in the East you have Iranic features and in the inner Anatolian regions you have classic features of a Central Asian nomad. And this argument of yours is called racism in the more sane parts of the world, just so you know.

I know far more about the real dynamics of Turkish politics than you.
Yeah, sure. This is my last reply to you.

Back
Top Bottom