What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

"After many thouch and go tests, the pilots were able to land the C-130 and came to a complete stop withint 80 meters."

And 107 meters wasnt enough for this C130 .

You are mixing experiments with operational tasks.

Last edited:
what was the modifications on that plane and why Americans decided not to pursue this . How many c130 are landing on LHDs today ? What is the minimum take off and landing distance for F35A's ? How many F35A's has took off from USS Wasp LHD so far. Why stupid Americans decided to create 3 diff version of F35s for different ships and requirements.
We should agree at this point firstly;
F35A is conventional version, hasnt meant to take off and land from a carrier.
F35B is meant for LHD like vessels which doesnt host and launching and landing assistance systems ( wires etc. ). Meant to use vtol capabilities during both.
F35C is the naval version, to be launched by catapult with a strengthened frame to bear catapult and arresting load.

Basically, its not deck of a vessel which restricts landing or take off, its the airplane itself. I can sense you either have a little bit knowledge on ships. Since approaching angle, sea conditions and sinking speed ( relatively) is unknown for a ship during design process, those kinds of variables taken into account statistically and the design has been made for the worst case. The weight, or impact of a jet wouldnt matter much for deck of Anadolu.
For Americans its useless to take off an F35A from Wasp, those vessels are meant for off- shore operations. As in our case, we didnt form a landing / carrier group yet. If needed, F35A could be used temporarily for operations by dispatching for single hit/run on targets . Without TF-2000 and ASW frigate or some proper hunter/ submarine its a little bit useless to talk about sustainable operation of F35s on Anadolu,which is meant to happen a decade later . Until then it will operate as a LHD like Canberra class.
C-130 on a carrier, why not if you actually need it? There is always a solution for a problem occuring in wartime, those special C-130s isnt built for fun but functionality, if its needed a way could have been found to land it on there.

We should agree at this point firstly;
F35A is conventional version, hasnt meant to take off and land from a carrier.
F35B is meant for LHD like vessels which doesnt host and launching and landing assistance systems ( wires etc. ). Meant to use vtol capabilities during both.
F35C is the naval version, to be launched by catapult with a strengthened frame to bear catapult and arresting load.

Basically, its not deck of a vessel which restricts landing or take off, its the airplane itself. I can sense you either have a little bit knowledge on ships. Since approaching angle, sea conditions and sinking speed ( relatively) is unknown for a ship during design process, those kinds of variables taken into account statistically and the design has been made for the worst case. The weight, or impact of a jet wouldnt matter much for deck of Anadolu.
For Americans its useless to take off an F35A from Wasp, those vessels are meant for off- shore operations. As in our case, we didnt form a landing / carrier group yet. If needed, F35A could be used temporarily for operations by dispatching for single hit/run on targets . Without TF-2000 and ASW frigate or some proper hunter/ submarine its a little bit useless to talk about sustainable operation of F35s on Anadolu,which is meant to happen a decade later . Until then it will operate as a LHD like Canberra class.
C-130 on a carrier, why not if you actually need it? There is always a solution for a problem occuring in wartime, those special C-130s isnt built for fun but functionality, if its needed a way could have been found to land it on there.

Thanks for the comments. Clarify couple of things on my side as well.

The whole discussion was about F35A and Anadolu . My deck comment was based on landing f35A on Anadolu and being ironic about a creating hole (Ucagi indirmekle cakmak arasindaki ironi), As I mentioned before I respect your knowledge but I still have my doubts about taking off F35A (MTOW) from Anadolu since numbers are not adding up.

You claim that the 100-meter aircraft deck is too short to land a 27-ton jet fighter. A C-130 Hercules easily weighs 60 tons with fuel. There was absolutely no adjustment made to the carrier for a C-130 landing. After many thouch and go tests, the pilots were able to land the C-130 and came to a complete stop withint 80 meters. They did take off and land the plane without the support of a catapult and arresting gear. Also F-4's took off and landed on USS Forrestal. With that weight difference the jets didnt even need a long runway to take off with full payload or land.

You talk straight up bs about the number of meters that a flight deck needs to land or take off jets.

It was more about the meters a jet needs to take off or come to a complete stop after landing. This with a catapult and arresting gear ofc. I dont know if they gonna implement this kind of features in the future. But there is also a very short take off video of a mig29 jetfighter:

What is the thrust of that plan (C-130)?

if anyone think that F35B will operate off the first Turkish LHD is dreaming fanboy

can someone show me where the landing aids will be fitted, the ammunition storage the aviation fuel have Turkish even replaced fighter jet engine at sea? which landing spot has been allocated for deck, even more which material has bee used for deck coating for heat down wash?

you cannot go from zero to hero and start flying F35B off TCG Anadolu its not a Harrier

160 RAF personal have been training on 11 x F35B in Beaufort for 6 years, thousands of hours F35B is a very very sophisticated aircraft and Queen Elizabeth only took its first landings last year and is still 2-3 years away from first operational deployment, Turks can do it quicker than the people who built the jet? No

Canberra class is too small and not big enough to be optimised for fixed wing, unless they build a second LHD and use one for rotary and one for fixed wing maybe after 10 years

and now I will wait for the usual responses on how it will be done

if anyone think that F35B will operate off the first Turkish LHD is dreaming fanboy

can someone show me where the landing aids will be fitted, the ammunition storage the aviation fuel have Turkish even replaced fighter jet engine at sea? which landing spot has been allocated for deck, even more which material has bee used for deck coating for heat down wash?

you cannot go from zero to hero and start flying F35B off TCG Anadolu its not a Harrier

160 RAF personal have been training on 11 x F35B in Beaufort for 6 years, thousands of hours F35B is a very very sophisticated aircraft and Queen Elizabeth only took its first landings last year and is still 2-3 years away from first operational deployment, Turks can do it quicker than the people who built the jet? No

Canberra class is too small and not big enough to be optimised for fixed wing, unless they build a second LHD and use one for rotary and one for fixed wing maybe after 10 years

Nobody is saying we will do it tonight, Rainman. For god’s sake we havent even ordered them yet.

Naval navigation and platform management systems in Turkish naval programs.

7FF96E2A-AEF1-4B77-A040-3C46F8B92E1A.jpeg

Allright we have been over this subject months ago,and years ago. Guess this is 4th or 5th time you are coming up with the same topic and triggering it again?.
Its not like we are going to commission LHD tomorrow and test F35B the day after tomorrow. There are at least 4-5 years to commisison the ship,yet another 5 years until deploying and operating F35B which makes it legit.

We have long talked about space allocation for flight deck, hangars and operations. One more time,its not an aircraft carrier, its an LHD with restricted abilities of fixed wing craft handling.

Finally, Japan and Italy is also seeking for F35B for deploying on similar platforms but why are you targeting Turkish Navy by questions of whether the aircraft could be operated but not others? they are also planning to use the same aircraft on similar vessels and Japan has already decided to modify an existing LHD(which is not even designed for handling vertical landing) so that it can carry F35B and even operate it. While TCG Anadolu has been built from scratch to have such a feature.

If you were going to criticize, had better its constructive.

Sorting things out so you can get it easier:

First of all, It is not Canberra class,

Secondly, Not only us but Italians and Japanese are also interested in F35B on their LHD.

Third , Japanese is modifying and existing LHD with similar dimensions to operate an LHD,they also dont have any experience on such thing.

Fourth and last, Noone (not a reliable source) has told we are getting F35Bs on Anadolu in 2-3 years. yet, Anadolu wont be commisioned before than 4 years (at least)

And bonus, UK has been spending all of those sources for SRVL (which you might already know with all extends) to operate F35Bs as their main asset on Aircraft Carriers.

You do release the JMSDF modification even if going ahead is going to be on the Izumo class if not a totally new designed LHD only for F35B

And no RAN is not considering F35B for their LHD

This is simply a ridiculous idea that members throw around every now and again

Back
Top Bottom