What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

Why are you in love with FAC? Turkish navy have enough FAC, untill they are not needed to be upgrade or replaced ther will be no FAC.

Not in love, but remember years ago Turkey wants.to replace the old's.

Not in love, but remember years ago Turkey wants.to replace the old's.

Probably that project is on hold, almost suspended. Burak class will be upgraded instead, as a stop gap solution.I wont be surprised if old FACs are also upgraded and went through a life extension overhauling. There could be Atmaca integration, hopefully on each and some improvizations could be happen too.

New FAC is expensive and technologically challenging for our shipyards, yet years passed none of them actually wants to dip their fingers into the mud. They are more eager for mass steelwork than fine steelwork .

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I highly doubt if its an intelligence gathering /spy ship. I have seen rare examples of conversion from a combatant to spy ship but they were practically emergency conditions and temporary. And after all i dont think a combatant form has suitable room allocation for generators and engines required for a spy ship's electronics. Moreover, milgem has meant to be a combatant, convertible from ASW to ASuW, or even AAW with proper systems attached, but i doubt if it could a service ship.
I rather consider ufuk to be a training and test vessel, not solely but also a " training to manufacture " of the shipyard. More likely a routine has been set and Pendik shipyard assisted the process of building and fitting. The private shipyard will gain the ability and take the load of incoming I class, to relieve Pendik for TF-2000. Moreover, consider it as a +1 in combatant fleet, it wouldnt take weeks to convert it into an operating Milgem ready for combat.

Seeing other examples of Intelligence ships may clearly be a proof of why Milgem wouldnt make a good and efficient platform for this task. And not the ship, but i guess we need a good basis on EW / intelligence gathering equipments. Wouldnt take much effort to design an efficient platform once the equipments are provided. ( after achieving LST/ Milgem / Dimdeg another service ship isnt a big deal for industry)

Aselsan used to have another project related with test vessel to test their own equipment, a vessel meant to have Dynamic Positioning,but they might have been focused on dynamic positioning more than the vessel itself. Finally a vessel which could be used harsly without concerns of captains, freely and actively.

@Neptune so far i can remember Navy or others have their own intelligence units, how active they are in the field? Once intelligence has mentioned our people could mostly think " fisleme :)" could you broaden it for us?

Hi. Sorry for the very late response, I rarely come around here. Well, to begin with, in my opinion this ship is to be used mostly as a test-bed for new naval systems and as well as for SIGINT (signals intelligence) role. Its no wonder how the President strictly emphasized the words "...especially signals intelligence..." during the launching ceremony of the ship. So it is quite likely that the ship will be fitted with systems to emit or collect signals and related transmissions that can be turned into intelligence by the navy to address the requirements to asses potential capabilities and weaknesses of our adversaries at sea. Having said that, I think this would address our naval intelligence needs in Eastern Mediterranean. Imagine that small territory, swarming of warships and submarines of many nations, namely Egypt, Israel, Greece, US, Russia, France and more. That would leave us with huge layers of communications transmissions, emission signatures, sonar signals, radar emissions and a whole chunk of sensors paradise. Trying to collect and assess as much as information we can on the ground would take the navy in an even more advantageous position which we would be needing in near future as the crisis deepens.

As to military intelligence, specifically in regards to navy. I think its better not to talk about it even the basics as this forum has large participation by many people and they like to overreact. But like any other potent military's intelligence units, they focused on gathering intelligence on the military movements of surrounding areas by using available means, counter intelligence, and ISR.

I really hope our Navy doesn't make the mistake and keep the amount of VLS for the TF-2000 Destroyers at 32. A minimun 48 is needed. 64 would be perfect.

Other examples. Type 45 Destroyer: 48 Cells
Horizon Destroyer: 48 Cells

There's a limit to how many missiles the fire control radar can guide missiles on to target. There's no point in having all your 128 eggs in one basket when you can only fry 4 at a time... best to have more baskets :-)

Back
Top Bottom