What's new

Turkish Industry, Science and Technology

Aselsan developed new Electric Initiator for 35mm and 40mm airburst munitions.

guzel.jpg

if Aselsan is sold we riot
Aselsan's current strategy is to expand by way of acquiring other companies foreign and domestic, with money it raised from an 'initial public offering' (IPO). So it's strategy is to expand, a company with aspirations and capital like that is highly unlikely to be sold. Not to mention that Aselsan is a company of strategic importance which is also active within the defence industry, all this basically means it is damn near impossible for the company to be sold to anyone. And if it does get financial problems in the future, then it would get bailed out by the state or the state would find another solution to keep it afloat because of its strategic importance.

And I do hope that Phillips & Zorlu will partner up to create medical equipment. Aselsan and GE, would be great if they partnered up as well but not sure if Aselsan is looking for a foreign partner in this sector because from my understanding Aselsan is pretty successful in it's development process of the equipment within this sector and has been exploring (and is) working with established companies and startups to work on specific medical equipments (so for each equipment/product, it is working with a different partner).

Last edited:
In my opinion, Aselsan should form a company which produces tech products for end-users, especially focusing on items which make us giving huge trade deficit.

In my opinion, Aselsan should form a company which produces tech products for end-users, especially focusing on items which make us giving huge trade deficit.
It's not exactly about the formation of a new company, but I think you will like what the source-link has to say because it is about the localization of 15000 parts that Aselsan uses on it's own products, and therefore battling the trade deficit:
http://finans.gazetevatan.com/haber-detay/gundem/aselsandan-yerlilestirme-hamlesi/87827/

It's not exactly about the formation of a new company, but I think you will like what the source-link has to say because it is about the localization of 15000 parts that Aselsan uses on it's own products, and therefore battling the trade deficit:
http://finans.gazetevatan.com/haber-detay/gundem/aselsandan-yerlilestirme-hamlesi/87827/

This is also good move but mostly about intermediate products/goods. I mean end-user products like Aselsan 1919. Well, it's just an example, cellphone market is more complex and competitive now, but let's say Aselsan's new company can produce drones for market which is dominated by foreign companies.

Aselsan's current strategy is to expand by way of acquiring other companies foreign and domestic, with money it raised from an 'initial public offering' (IPO). So it's strategy is to expand, a company with aspirations and capital like that is highly unlikely to be sold. Not to mention that Aselsan is a company of strategic importance which is also active within the defence industry, all this basically means it is damn near impossible for the company to be sold to anyone. And if it does get financial problems in the future, then it would get bailed out by the state or the state would find another solution to keep it afloat because of its strategic importance.

And I do hope that Phillips & Zorlu will partner up to create medical equipment. Aselsan and GE, would be great if they partnered up as well but not sure if Aselsan is looking for a foreign partner in this sector because from my understanding Aselsan is pretty successful in it's development process of the equipment within this sector and has been exploring (and is) working with established companies and startups to work on specific medical equipments (so for each equipment/product, it is working with a different partner).
"Aselsan and GE, would be great if they partnered up"

Then it will be impossible to be bailed out in case of a financial crisis since it will not be a state owned company with strategic importance anymore but more like a joint venture whose ultimate aim is to profit.

I hope, at least this time they dont do such a mistake like selling Aselsan.. as they did to Türk Telekom.

Edit:
I assume you meant any partnership other than technologic on some specific projects.

Last edited:
"Aselsan and GE, would be great if they partnered up"

Then it will be impossible to be bailed out in case of a financial crisis since it will not be a state owned company with strategic importance anymore but more like a joint venture whose ultimate aim is to profit.

I hope, at least this time they don't do such a mistake like selling Aselsan.. as they did to Türk Telekom.

Edit:
I assume you meant any partnership other than technologic on some specific projects.
A partnership more in the sense of a joint venture, as in establishing a new company owned 50/50 by GE/Aselsan and Zorlu/Phillips. But partnerships can in be other ways too. GE and Phillips want to enter the medical machinery sector in Turkey (according to the source), this means that they want to enter the Turkish market.

This can be either by acquisition (of a Turkish company), joint-venture or a green field investment. The acquisition of Zorlu and Aselsan by these companies is impossible as Zorlu/Aselsan have a too big of a market cap. And GE had financial trouble this past year. So that either leaves a greenfield investment or a joint venture which is the easiest way to enter the market. As far as I know, GE has a big presence in Turkey already actually so it might not be to difficult for them to enter the Turkish medical machinery market, be it by JV or greenfield investment.

TEI is partially owned by GE as well (it is a JV between TAI and GE) and TEI is also a strategic company.

A company doesn't have to be wholly owned by the state or even by indigenous/local investors for it to be strategic. In that case, the company would still get bailed out, but there could be some sort of deal brokered (like giving the state some shares or whatever).

In the case there is no bail-out, the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund of Turkey (TMSF) can take the company (and its debts) over temporarily, to make sure the company doesn't go bankrupt, and sell it's shares to private investors down the road (this could be by way of a tender). The goal of TMSF here isn't to make profit in this process, but rather to save the company and it's continuity and future.
We had a similar example a couple of years ago with BMC, because of BMC being a strategic company, TMSF intervened and saved the company from bankruptcy and it's shares got sold by way of tender.

GE To Develop 3-D Manufacturing Tech For Aviation In Turkish Lab
November 19, 2018
IMG_5931.JPG

Image: GE Additive
General Electric has opened a new laboratory in Turkey to develop new digital-based production models with the help of additive manufacturing technologies for aviation.
"Our total investment in the center has exceeded $15 million with this laboratory. In the GE Aviation Additive Manufacturing Technologies R&D Laboratory, where we will conduct technology development programs as part of a global team, we will make contribute to the design and development activities of aircraft engine components in line with the additive manufacturing technologies," GE Aviation Turkey Technology Center General Manager Aybike Molbay was quoted as saying by Daily Sabah Sunday.
In this laboratory where research and development (R&D) activities of both materials and different geometries will be conducted in the field of additive manufacturing, Turkish Industry and Technology Minister Mustafa Varank said that designs of Turkish origin will be developed and these designs can be used in many different areas from aviation to automotive, from home appliances to energy and will serve directly to the priority of high value-added production.
The new laboratory set up in the northern Marmara province of Kocaeli aims at supporting technology development activities, train engineers and researchers and strengthen its solution-based partnership on additive manufacturing technologies, the news daily stated.
The facility is one of GE’s three global laboratories.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/23...Tech_for_Aviation_in_Turkish_Lab#.W_J-rRahmaM

I'm pretty sure it's intended for civilian market? According to modulermakina, they will make it electric/hybrid and it will be modular (which is it's unique selling point).

Why you need an expensive remote contolled variant in civil?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom