What's new

Turkish Armed Forces has been ranked the 6th strongest in the world!

Most of the people doesn't even know just how many MPA aircraft Japan has. They even have more MPAs than the total numbers of most airforces out there... I would have placed them 4th above India as well

This is my top 15:
  1. US
  2. China
  3. Russia
  4. Japan
  5. India
  6. UK
  7. France
  8. South Korea
  9. Italy
  10. Turkey
  11. Israel
  12. Spain
  13. Australia
  14. Canada
  15. Indonesia
But being battle-ready is an another thing tho. It can easily turn the list upside down.

I think Brazil should also be up there

I think Brazil should also be up there
Yeah Brazil came across my mind too but don't forget that all of these are debatable. You cannot fit all of these countries in numbers. They all have pros and cons compared to each other. They all have built their militaries acc to their own needs and doctrines... This is why sites like this and Globalfirepower are beyond stupid. Also I think Indonesia has a more modern military but they can be replaced by Brazil like as you said.

Yeah Brazil came across my mind too but don't forget that all of these are debatable. You cannot fit all of these countries in numbers. They all have pros and cons compared to each other. They all have built their militaries acc to their own needs and doctrines... This is why sites like this and Globalfirepower are beyond stupid. Also I think Indonesia has a more modern military but they can be replaced by Brazil like as you said.

The thing I dislike about Globalfirepower is that it's all about numbers. At least this website considers quality and training as well. However you are right a lot of countries build their armies according to their needs.

I hope they make this list even more comprehensive and perhaps add even more countries in the future.

Where? These are meaningless without a frame of reference. Turkey is incredibly strong in defending Turkey, ok. But attacking Syria? Iraq? Israel? Egypt?

Or even defending a base far away from the homeland? This is essentially true for everyone. And you can't really measure this properly. Mobilizing an army is more then how many land bridges and ships you have. The planning and coordination is what matters and in that case experience trumps everything else.

You could argue that France is less powerfully then Turkey in Libya, but much more powerful in Algeria.

Or KSA might have the advantage over Turkey in Yemen.

Or Egypt would fall flat in the Mediterranean but easily dismantle Turkey from Somalia.

These things are meaningless, don't put weight into them.

Where? These are meaningless without a frame of reference. Turkey is incredibly strong in defending Turkey, ok. But attacking Syria? Iraq? Israel? Egypt?

Or even defending a base far away from the homeland? This is essentially true for everyone. And you can't really measure this properly. Mobilizing an army is more then how many land bridges and ships you have. The planning and coordination is what matters and in that case experience trumps everything else.

You could argue that France is less powerfully then Turkey in Libya, but much more powerful in Algeria.

Or KSA might have the advantage over Turkey in Yemen.

Or Egypt would fall flat in the Mediterranean but easily dismantle Turkey from Somalia.

These things are meaningless, don't put weight into them.

The USA could do better in most of the world, but couldn't beat Russia near Russian territory. Does that mean that the USA isn't more powerful?

The fact is that militaries vary greatly in their training, equipment, numbers, tactics, experience, etc.

If you have all those things going for you than you have an advantage over most other countries.

Egypt for example has a lot of equipment and troops but sh!t training. They could literally only defend. However in an actual cross border operation they would do horribly.

European armies are much smaller but have a lot better training.

America has everything, Russia and China are catching up however we don't know how well the Chinese military would perform in a limited conflict. Of course in a war of attrition they would do very well.

Turkey has a lot of the boxes ticked across the board. So does South Korea.

The USA could do better in most of the world, but couldn't beat Russia near Russian territory. Does that mean that the USA isn't more powerful?

The fact is that militaries vary greatly in their training, equipment, numbers, tactics, experience, etc.

If you have all those things going for you than you have an advantage over most other countries.

Egypt for example has a lot of equipment and troops but sh!t training. They could literally only defend. However in an actual cross border operation they would do horribly.

European armies are much smaller but have a lot better training.

America has everything, Russia and China are catching up however we don't know how well the Chinese military would perform in a limited conflict. Of course in a war of attrition they would do very well.

Turkey has a lot of the boxes ticked across the board. So does South Korea.
I agree and that was sort of the point I was making. The US example you gave actually illustrates the point greatly.

If the US is more powerful then Russia then that means they should be able to defeat Russia everywhere. If for example Russia has the upper hand in scenario A (like motherland Russia) then that means the whole point of ranking militaries without a reference point is moot.

Instead it should be "in Libya the power ranking is as follows:" and "in Syria it's like this" etc.

Then that would make much more sense. As countries with actual better militaries would rank higher in more scenarios overall and you could make sense of it.

But a flat list like this tells us nothing really.

And Egypt is a prime example. On paper it has everything - in practice it would crumble trying to intervene anywhere except next door - and even then it would only be WHEN other countries would have a hard time logistically reaching it (like Somalia). But they would still be in trouble if other countries could logistically do better (like Libya) even though both these countries are geographically next door to them.

I hope this makes better sense?

Most of the people doesn't even know just how many MPA aircraft Japan has. They even have more MPAs than the total numbers of most airforces out there... I would have placed them 4th above India as well

This is my top 15:
  1. US
  2. China
  3. Russia
  4. Japan
  5. India
  6. UK
  7. France
  8. South Korea
  9. Italy
  10. Turkey
  11. Israel
  12. Spain
  13. Australia
  14. Canada
  15. Indonesia
But being battle-ready is an another thing tho. It can easily turn the list upside down.
Pakistan should be above Turkey

Pakistan should be above Turkey
And this is why these lists are full of crap, anyone can list any country they want above others... Don't get me wrong brother but without the nukes and the ballistic missiles, Turkey is mor than twice the powerful than Pakistan. But as I've said countless of times before; every country on Earth builds their own militaries according to their own needs.

After US Japan has the best navy that’s a fact at least for now(of course in very near future China will take the second place)
Maybe they should’ve changed India and Japan
Being battle hardened is probably the most important gamechanging factor
Turkish army is one of the few armies around the world continuously fighting on the field for the last 40 years in the Middle East and Europe only israelis have such achievement so despite being tiny state in terms of territory I would put them definitely in top 10

https://www.*************************/top-20-military-powers

According to World Military Database TSK is currently the 6th most powerful in the world. Unlike Globalfirepower it appears as if they both qualitatively and quantitatively rank countries instead of just calculating numbers.

:-):-):enjoy:
Why is North Korea not in the list. As a nuclear armed country it should have been in the top 20. @GlobalMillitary96

This is my top 15:
  1. US
  2. China
  3. Russia
  4. Japan
  5. India
  6. UK
  7. France
  8. South Korea
  9. Italy
  10. Turkey
  11. Israel
  12. Spain
  13. Australia
  14. Canada
  15. Indonesia
Your list looks fairly decent. I'd move Italy down, move up Turkey and Israel and put Brazil somewhere in that lot removing Indonesia

Back
Top Bottom