What's new

Turkey to serve as protecting power for US in Libya

Pax Ottomana

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkey will serve as a “protecting power” for the United States in Libya, senior State Department officials told CNN on Sunday.

usa-turkey.jpg

As a protecting power, Turkey will represent the United States in Libya, including acting as consular officers on behalf of U.S. citizens in Libya and looking after American diplomatic facilities in the country.

Turkey can also pass messages between the United States and Libya, as what little communication remains between the two countries is likely to come to a grinding halt now that the United States is bombing Libyan targets as part of enforcement of a no-fly zone.

Although the United States has not formally suspended ties with Libya, the U.S. State Department shuttered its embassy earlier this month and withdrew all of its diplomats from the country. The State Department also ordered the Libyan Embassy in Washington closed and ordered its diplomats to leave the country. It recognized Ali Aujali – the former ambassador who resigned from the regime in protest of its violence against citizens and joined the opposition – as the legitimate representative of the Libyan people.

Officials said Libya has not yet identified a protecting power for its interests in the United States.

Turkey to serve as protecting power for US in Libya | TRDEFENCE

very good move by US. let turkey be the protector.

Same formulae could have been applied to Afghanistan.

I believe it's equivalent to keeping the back channels open, to avoid a complete disaster, somewhat like in the movie "sum of all fears".

After what the arab league did, I am not sure Libya will ask one of the arab countries to take on the role. And with EU bombing Libya the candidates for the role seems non-existing.

I just hope this'll be over quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom