Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkey to produce regional passenger aircraft with Ukraine
ALI ÜNAL
ANKARA
Published 18 hours ago
1421105810722.jpg

After negotiating with 11 different companies from the aviation industry, Turkish Aerospace Industries agreed to sign a deal with Ukraine’s state-owned aircraft company, Antonov, to produce regional passenger aircraft
Producing its own regional passenger jet is listed among Turkey's goals for 2023 to be achieved by the centennial of the establishment of the Turkish Republic. According to respectable sources from the aviation industry, Turkey and Ukraine have decided to form a joint venture and the final agreement is expected to be signed during the upcoming visit of a Turkish delegation to Ukraine in March.

Turkey has been devoting continuing efforts to build its own medium-range civilian aircraft for a few years and so far Turkish authorities have conducted talks with 11 different companies from the aviation industry. During the recent months the Transportation Ministry announced that the number of foreign companies on Turkey's shortlist has been reduced to four. In the past years Turkey held talks with Brazil's Embraer and Canada's Bombardier, however these talks failed to bear fruit. On the other hand, industry sources indicated that ongoing talks between Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) and Ukraine's state-owned aircraft company Antonov have reached maturity and the companies agreed on the details of a joint venture agreement to develop medium-range aircraft. The industry sources also added that a Ukrainian company agreed to a technology transfer, which is considered a vital issue by Turkish officials.

In September 2013, then prime minister, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, took part in the presentation of the new generation Antonov aircraft AN-158 and examined the plane. The 99-passenger capacity AN-158 is designed to travel up to 3,000 kilometers. It was developed based on the AN-148 regional new generation jet. In addition, Transportation Minister Lütfi Elvan announced in September 2014 that Turkey's project to produce regional passenger planes is coming to its final stages and that the planes will be designed as narrow-body aircraft able to carry up to 120 passengers. The final agreement between TAİ and Antonov is expected to be signed during the upcoming visit by a Turkish delegation to Ukraine in March, sources also added.

The Turkish aviation sector is enjoying a boom in passenger numbers with 166 million passengers by the end of 2014 and the country is ranked 11th worldwide in terms of passenger traffic. This contrasts sharply with the years before as in 2003 the number of passengers was only 34 million.

During the last year, passenger numbers increased 4.6 percent throughout Europe, according to a European Aviation Union report. Two percent of this growth has been contributed by Turkish Airlines. Turkey is aiming to increase this figure to 350 million by 2023 as one of the goals of the 100th anniversary of the Turkish Republic.

Turkey to produce regional passenger aircraft with Ukraine - Daily Sabah

Turkey needs more cooperation with Ukraine especially in air defence missile and aviation technology. This regional jet is a good start hopefully one day we will see cooperation on military transport aircraft.

Iran also has good relations with Antonov ... Iran produces its own version of An-140.
Iran is only assebling the parts, the production is in Ukraine, i hope we wont do the same and call it ''indigenous'' plane.

HESA IrAn-140
The IrAn-140 is a license-built version of the An-140, assembled by HESA in Shahin Shahr, Iran, from complete knock-down kits supplied by Antonov.[3] As of 2008, 13 aircraft per year were planned to be constructed. There were plans to produce maritime patrol (IrAn-140MP) and freighter (IrAn-140T) versions. 100 aircraft in total were planned to be build; 20 of them were to be acquired by the Iranian government for border patrol and surveillance.[9]
On 9 November 2010, during his opening speech of the Kish air show, the Iranian transport minister announced that 14 IrAn-140 aircraft had so far been completed;[10] the first six entered commercial service on 19 February 2011, after a ban on the operation of the Tupolev Tu-154 came into effect.[11]

Antonov An-140 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

''indigenous''
how can you claim that regarding any kind of product ?

iran never claimed that IrAn-140 was an indigenous plane which BTW it is , considering the fact that Knock-down kits were only delivered before 2007 (between 2003 and 2007) and iran only receives the TV3 engines afterwards .

but then again , our ongoing project to build national Airliner jet with 150 seat capacity with national engine comes to mind .

Go turkey go .

how can you claim that regarding any kind of product ?

iran never claimed that IrAn-140 was an indigenous plane which BTW it is , considering the fact that Knock-down kits were only delivered before 2007 (between 2003 and 2007) and iran only receives the TV3 engines afterwards .

but then again , our ongoing project to build national Airliner jet with 150 seat capacity with national engine comes to mind .

Go turkey go .
You got me wrong, i didnt say Iran claimed its indigenous, i said i hope we wont do the same as Iran by assebling and then call it indigenous.

What Turkey needs is a narrow body 120 seat capacity passenger jet to be flown inside of country. Antonov AN-158 is just 99 seat capable aircraft. Turkish nation enjoys with comfort of Airbus and Boeing class airliners and It is a certain that Quality, insulation and comfort standarts of Antonov passenger jets are not equal with European and USA rivals so I think Turkey will put serious efforts on 120 seat project to be equal with Airbus A320 class.

What Turkey needs is a narrow body 120 seat capacity passenger jet to be flown inside of country. Antonov AN-158 is just 99 seat capable aircraft. Turkish nation enjoys with comfort of Airbus and Boeing class airliners and It is a certain that Quality, insulation and comfort standarts of Antonov passenger jets are not equal with European and USA rivals so I think Turkey will put serious efforts on 120 seat project to be equal with Airbus A320 class.
Her seyden once hayirli olsun You have a point there Cabatli . but overall its a smart move.The key word is tech transfer , i am sure Ukranians are more open to tech transfer than a year ago. Lets hope tech transfer includes engine production as well. Their Progress engines are not the best in the market in terms of fuel efficieny but its better than nothing. Turkey has the tech capacity to absorb the knowledge fast .
Lets hope TAI and TEI can marry soviet tech with western standarts.Because first attempt to do this failed miserably just look at the Italian Russian Superjet story

P.S Antonov's drooping designed shoulder wings gotta go . its just wrong for a passenger plane

Her seyden once hayirli olsun You have a point there Cabatli . but overall its a smart move.The key word is tech transfer , i am sure Ukranians are more open to tech transfer than a year ago. Lets hope tech transfer includes engine production as well. Their Progress engines are not the best in the market in terms of fuel efficieny but its better than nothing. Turkey has the tech capacity to absorb the knowledge fast .
Lets hope TAI and TEI can marry soviet tech with western standarts.Because first attempt to do this failed miserably just look at the Italian Russian Superjet story

P.S Antonov's drooping designed shoulder wings gotta go . its just wrong for a passenger plane

It dosent look bad at all

Attachments

• an218.jpg
    an218.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83
No body asked you about your fantasy works... Keep your gibberish to yourself.
good luck with your projects . you are at the exact same place we were one and a half decade ago and i must admit , this is pretty impressive .

good job

good luck with your projects . you are at the exact same place we were one and a half decade ago and i must admit , this is pretty impressive .

good job

Yeah, importing kits and assembling them are quiet a feat. :lol:

the only bad part about AN is it's pretty much a deathtrap , lets hope with it being a joint project
something closer to the quality of western aircraft can be produced .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom