What's new

Turkey: SCO is no alternative for NATO membership

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Head of the Presidency's Foreign Relations Department Ayşe Sözen Usluer said the April 16 referendum will be the beginning of a new era in foregin relations. She underlined that the U.K., despite leaving the EU is still a part of the Western alliance and the same will be applied for Turkey. She also said Turkey doesn't see the Shanghai Cooperation Organization as an alternative for NATO or the EU

DS: As the future of relations with the EU are being questioned, some are suggesting that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) as an alternative. What is your take on this subject?

Turkey sees the SCO as an alternative for neither NATO nor the EU. I don't believe that we are in an age where we have to choose between the SCO and the EU. On the contrary, I think that Turkey is a country that diversifies its foreign policy and employs its capacity. Turkey is definitely one of the countries that has benefited most from the multipolar system that emerged at the end of Cold War. The SCO is one of the examples of the diversification of foreign policy.

https://www.dailysabah.com/eu-affai...-everything-to-be-reexamined-after-referendum

SCO isn't a military alliance.

it's an alternative to the EU but NATO?? I don't think so.

Turkey will never be allowed into the EU, and the EU actually should be absolved tbh. NATO should have be absolved after the collapse of the USSR as well.

farage-taylor-wessing.jpg

Ab

Turkey will never be allowed into the EU, and the EU actually should be absolved tbh. NATO should have be absolved after the collapse of the USSR as well.

Absolved or dissolved?

The US should also be absolved. California for example would do better alone.

Turkey should certainly not give up its NATO membership, but at the same time expanding ties with the East is not a bad idea, especially as the economic center of the earth increasingly gravitates towards Asia. The SCO is not a military alliance unlike NATO, so I see no reason why Turkey cannot be a member of both. Yes if it was a member of the EU then things would have been more complicated, but as it stands Turkey should make the most of its geo-strategic importance, and develop closer economic ties with not only with its kin in Central Asia through the SCO platform, but also with the other larger markets in the organization. Meanwhile ties with the West through NATO serves Turkey's interest well too.

Turkey plans about SCO is mainly related with economic and geopolitics.I dont see a bright future for EU and the main issue is population. Their population is not increasing as their competitors and getting older. EU will have big social and economic problems if they go on the way as they did at the past.
In a few years we wont need too much NATO support as we needed at the past.We are developing our defence technology like we are single country on defence and we were under secret umbergo of Nato counries at critical defence products.Now it is not secret thats why we consider Russia and China technology transfer of critical weapon systems such as S-400.It is a stop gap solution for Turkey until we develop our own system which is in development phase.
Can we use S-400 against Russia ?So for which countries? This only shows Turkey doesnt trust to Nato.

Back
Top Bottom