What's new

Turkey blunts NZ's Security Council bid

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Turkey blunts NZ's Security Council bid

Turkey's decision to join the race for a United Nations Security Council seat might have lessened New Zealand's chances of winning one, but the Government says it is pleased with the support it is getting from other countries.

The council is made up of five permanent members - the United Kingdom, France, China, Russia and the United States - with 10 temporary representatives elected by member nations.

Prime Minister John Key announced at the UN General Assembly in New York last year that New Zealand would make a bid for one of two Western Europe and Others Group seats in 2015-2016.

Spain had been the only other country in the running until last week, when Turkey announced it would also stand.

Turkey had previously made a commitment to support New Zealand in its bid for a seat.

A spokeswoman for Key said yesterday that Turkey's decision to run for a seat was disappointing.

"We have not raised the question of Turkey's vote since their announcement, and that remains a decision for Turkey to take," she said.

"For our part, we are pleased at the level of support already shown for New Zealand's candidature across the United Nations membership."

There were no plans for Key to meet Turkish ministers or officials.

Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully over the weekend spoke with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, who confirmed Turkey would be making a bid for a seat.

"He acknowledged that would bring them into competition with both Spain and New Zealand, both good friends of Turkey," McCully said.

"He emphasised this was in no way a reflection on Turkey's relationship with New Zealand or the friendship that he and I have."

McCully said he had conveyed his sense of disappointment with the decision, but had not spoken about whether Turkey would still be supporting New Zealand's bid.

"I'm operating on the assumption that Turkey will honour their commitment to New Zealand."

New Zealand previously said it would give its second vote to Spain, and McCully said he had made it clear that would not change in light of Turkey's decision.

"We regarded the commitments we entered into in this respect as important to our international reputation and we would not be reviewing our commitments."

McCully said New Zealand's chances of winning the seat were damaged by Turkey's entering into the race.

"If there had to be a contested race we would have chosen some competitors that were somewhat easier propositions than both Spain and Turkey," he said. "It's not too hard for people to work out who the little guy is in this context."

While other countries have previously been reported to have spent millions in fights to win security council seats, McCully said New Zealand would not be spending money on its campaign.

"We're not going to be spending any money on this race in the sense that I'm not asking for any budgetary provision to be set aside," he said.

"We cannot buy a seat on the security council, virtually everybody else has bigger pockets than we have anyway. But the idea that we might have to buy support is not something that either the Prime Minister or I have been prepared to contemplate."

Turkey blunts NZ's Security Council bid | Stuff.co.nz

why is it so important with a seat here?

and can someone give me some info about this UNSC.

why is it so important with a seat here?

and can someone give me some info about this UNSC.
Ability to participate decisions that are utmost importance to world. Also, it brings prestige and high-profile for a country.

new zealand, turkey for 'security council seat??? wow :rofl::rofl:

Ability to participate decisions that are utmost importance to world. Also, it brings prestige and high-profile for a country.
Congratulations to my Turkish Brother But what decisions are you talking here Like sanctioning Muslim countries and Depriving them to exercise their liberty and making policies in accordance with US interests..... thats how I see UN these days:pop:

new zealand, turkey for 'security council seat??? wow

What is so funny in this....they are far far more well off THEN pAKISTAN NOW.............AT least Turkey is and deserves it too..

What is so funny in this....they are far far more well off THEN pAKISTAN NOW.............AT least Turkey is and deserves it too..

u have to bring pakistan into every thing dont you, was i talking about pakistan??

i wonder whats your problem with Turkey?you are always negative about it..its not natural,you are pushing yourself to say negative things.

i believe countries like italy, germany, brazil, australia deserve more than turkey

i believe countries like italy, germany, brazil, australia deserve more than turkey

i wasnt only talking about this subject..

i think you had an experience with some ultra-Turkists in the net,and you finally "overly-nationalized" like them..whatever..

i hope you wont get obsessive.

i wasnt only talking about this subject..

i think you had an experience with some ultra-Turkists in the net,and you finally "overly-nationalized" like them..whatever..

i hope you wont get obsessive.

hello you seem to be ultra gentle, but, i didnt get you, i rarely comment on turkey, i am pisssed off at some kemalists though, but this topic is different, i actually laughed esp on NZ...

To my mind, Turkey does deserve a seat in the west Asia/ middle East block. It has been historically a big player in this region and in eastern Europe. It is a big player today. But I am not so sure of NZ. Do they meet any of the criteria to claim membership in the most exclusive and powerful club of nations? With a GDP of 138 Billion, ranking at 51 and a practically non existent military, what exactly do they have to offer to the world? Neither are they in a position to provide funding nor can they contribute militarily to UNSC efforts around the world.

hello you seem to be ultra gentle, but, i didnt get you, i rarely comment on turkey, i am pisssed off at some kemalists though, but this topic is different, i actually laughed esp on NZ...

no,i wasnt offended or sth..i just wondered whats the problem..i remember you from this thread:http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/94514-heart-warming-experience-turkish-people.html

you are free to laugh at anything you want,of course.if i understand the reason,the rest is sth that i dont care.

no,i wasnt offended or sth..i just wondered whats the problem..i remember you from this thread:http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/94514-heart-warming-experience-turkish-people.html

you are free to laugh at anything you want,of course.if i understand the reason,the rest is sth that i dont care.

well, what i said was encounter with some turkish members, which they said, here and other places, but i really dont have anything against them, i was clearifying the matter to you as i find you one of the sane turkish members...

new zealand, turkey for 'security council seat??? wow :rofl::rofl:
Well, Turkey was a sitting member of Security Council from 2009 to 2011. Also to understand why Turkey wants this position and won the bid of her previous membership, just take a careful look at what Turkey accomplished in last 10 years in such areas as civil society, liberal economy, individual rights, international engagement, conflict solution. Please write your arguments and explain a bit more so I and everyone else can see what you really think about.

Back
Top Bottom