What's new

Tunnel warfare in WW1

Very informative thread ,@Psychic . Keep up the good work.
Ah yes!
I had read about the yellow canaries which were used as war animals. But then why yellow ones only???

Do you think this could be true?? :wacko:
upload_2015-6-25_11-17-52-png.232412
Could be.

You have a book on tunnel war and u said it was new to you?
No not a book.
I've subscribed to many FB pages which are military/war related, and theres' a lot of amazing stuff that gets posted on such pages. I read about tunnel warfare on one such page. :)

tunnel warfare is actually much older if anyone here has played stronghold series, he will know. In medieval times, ww1, vietnam war, Ghaza conflict even Iraq , Afghan wars but ww1 beats all of them when it is about the scale on which mining is done. Do not know about the color of canaries I think any color is acceptable. BTW you used to do threads like that but now it looks like you don't have much time?
Well it has been around Roman times but actual trench digging warfare stared to develop after advent of cannons,the first true trench was dug in September 1914 on western french,even toady they are used to get shield from splinters,known in India and Pakistan SORANG.

high time you changed your username. :confused:
webby tuned down my past request.

Well it has been around Roman times but actual trench digging warfare stared to develop after advent of cannons,the first true trench was dug in September 1914 on western french,even toady they are used to get shield from splinters,known in India and Pakistan SORANG.

webby tuned down my past request.
Sorang is a general name for tunnels, not necessarily military purpose tunnels.

If am not wrong Romans 're credited for coming up this idea of employing tunnels and trenches for guerrilla-like warfare ......
That is still debated, with defensive tunnels being used by many different civilisation but yes they used it effectively. Also on e of the first examples of chemical warfare was seen in tunnels.

Trench warfare in first world war was hell. Troops would be bogged down in trenches for days at a stretch and have to eat, sleep, defecate there, endure the elements and the incessant enemy shelling and the occasional chemical attacks (it was perhaps the first instance of using poison gas in war). Troops trying to advance would be cut down literally by barb wire or enemy machine gun fire.

It was a hard time for all sides involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom