What's new

Trump administration announces $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese goods

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
CNN)President Donald Trump is sharply escalating the American trade war with China.

The United States will impose a 10% tariff later this month on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods, increasing to 25% at the end of the year, the Trump administration announced Monday.

The additional tariffs are on top of penalties enacted earlier this year on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods. Taken together, it means roughly half of the products that China sells to the United States each year will be hit by American tariffs.

In July, the administration published a list of thousands of products that would be subject to the latest round of trade penalties. More than 300 products were removed from that list -- including smartwatches, health and safety devices and children's playpens.

Trump had urged his advisers to press forward with the $200 billion round, even as Washington and Beijing worked to restart trade talks. Trump's decision threatens to upend the possibility of a diplomatic breakthrough with Chinese negotiators.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/us-china-tariff-trade-war/index.html

He should impose a "Wanna sell in the US...No problem...Make it here" Like China is doing...
That will be the real problem solver...

China imports a lot from other countries... So please refrain from exercising your nonexistent logic. Thank you.
Say the one who didn't even know about that...

And here for you even More... "Big/Medium" projects are asked for a certain lvl of ToT to gain access to CN market... To name one... "Boeing..."

But Hey... You learned something today.

Nice! This is going to help Chinese domestic companies very much. I thank you Mr. Trump.

Being ambiguous in your counter remarks doesn’t help you. People will think your brain is a little wrong.

And here for you even More... "Big/Medium" projects are asked for a certain lvl of ToT to gain access to CN market... To name one... "Boeing..."

But Hey... You learned something today.
That’s what all developing countries do... Hey I’m glad you learned somethings too.

Nice! This is going to help Chinese domestic companies very much. I thank you Mr. Trump.

Being ambiguous in your counter remarks doesn’t help you. People will think your brain is a little wrong.

That’s what all developing countries do... Hey I’m glad you learned somethings too.

See... One more post and you acknowledge it... And I still don't understand why you take offense in that... if it's true... ALways the same with you guys... Always.

See... One more post and you acknowledge it... And I still don't understand why you take offense in that... if it's true... ALways the same with you guys... Always.
What? You okay?
I never agreed to your point that China forces every product it buys to be made in China. I only acknowledged that Chinese companies sometimes ask for ToT. The fact that you correlate completely different things ...well, let’s just say in your own words: “Always the same with you guys”.

What? You okay?
I never agreed to your point that China forces every product it buys to be made in China. I only acknowledged that Chinese companies sometimes ask for ToT. The fact that you correlate completely different things ...well, let’s just say in your own words: “Always the same with you guys”.

Bingo. Maybe if you say it for a third time, you may see the correlation btw my "post" and your allegation...

But hey "What can I except from you guys" ;)

I think in the long term, these tariffs might help China.

Giving up Made in China 2025 and complying with US trade demands like the Qing officials of the olden days would be a big mistake. Short term pain for long term expansion of China's technological sector will prove to be worth it in the end.

Bingo. Maybe if you say it for a third time, you may see the correlation btw my "post" and your allegation...

But hey "What can I except from you guys" ;)

Is writing insults all you have been able to do? :rofl:

He should impose a "Wanna sell in the US...No problem...Make it here" Like China is doing...
Your logic: China is making all foreign products, which it buys from foreign sources (meaning they are not made in China if this is a little too much for you)
made in China.

And here for you even More... "Big/Medium" projects are asked for a certain lvl of ToT to gain access to CN market

Your next logic: China does this impossible thing by forcing ToT, again an impossible thing.

You next Logic: you acknowledge that China gets ToT automatically means that you acknowledge China is producing products it imports from other countries made in China.

This is like saying if you are sick, it must mean that you are dead.

I hope you are indeed as cheerful as you try to make it seem:yahoo:

I think in the long term, these tariffs might help China.

Giving up Made in China 2025 and complying with US trade demands like the Qing officials of the olden days would be a big mistake. Short term pain for long term expansion of China's technological sector will prove to be worth it in the end.
I agree with you. The tariffs and investment/component restrictions have changed Chinese business’s view of American products. Chinese companies no longer view US products, especially semiconductor as normal products. They are now all looking to find domestic replacements and increasing RnD to de-Americanize their supply chain. This provides a lot of opportunities for Chinese companies.

It is impossible to have all value added of the supply chain for every product to be made in one country nowadays due to specialization and productivity levels. For that to happen, some industries would need to be sacrificed.

As for being made in the US and having some value added in the US, this is currently being done by some Chinese companies operating in the US. It only really works for higher value products compatible with the labor environment of the US. Low value industry products would have little to no Americans workers interested in those positions. In essence, America would have to import those products one way or another.

Chinese companies like Sany heavy industries already have American manufacturing for the local market using some American components like Cummins engines. They have a facility in Peachtree City, Georgia.

Some Chinese textile companies are moving production to the US like Tianyuen Garments Co. They have a 100,000 sq ft facility in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Fuyao Glass moved part of its production to Moraine, Ohio to serve the American auto supply chain because it is simply cheaper to do it this way, rather than export from China. Competitive factors include lower taxes, cheap energy and land.

Rapid offshoring of low end industries from China had been happening since 2010 but factories in Southern China still find it hard to hire enough staff, driving up wages and helping automation. Labour in China is being shifted to the service industry and higher value manufacturing.

High value, low value lines are not so clear cut. For example Jier exports auto manufacturing lines to America because it has in some customers' perspective a competitive edge over its local competition. Sometimes it is not possible to manufacture fully due to the lack of local expertise even if taught because there is a knowledge capacity limit, one factor is the limited amount of skilled workers in that specialization.
http://www.jier-na.com/installations.html
https://www.aristeo.com/projects/pr...turing/Ford-Motor-Company-Woodhaven_AE45.html

It is impossible to have all value added of the supply chain for every product to be made in one country nowadays due to specialization and productivity levels. For that to happen, some industries would need to be sacrificed.

As for being made in the US and having some value added in the US, this is currently being done by some Chinese companies operating in the US. It only really works for higher value products compatible with the labor environment of the US. Low value industry products would have little to no Americans workers interested in those positions. In essence, America would have to import those products one way or another.

Chinese companies like Sany heavy industries already have American manufacturing for the local market using some American components like Cummins engines. They have a facility in Peachtree City, Georgia.

Some Chinese textile companies are moving production to the US like Tianyuen Garments Co. They have a 100,000 sq ft facility in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Fuyao Glass moved part of its production to Moraine, Ohio to serve the American auto supply chain because it is simply cheaper to do it this way, rather than export from China. Competitive factors include lower taxes, cheap energy and land.

Rapid offshoring of low end industries from China had been happening since 2010 but factories in Southern China still find it hard to hire enough staff, driving up wages and helping automation. Labour in China is being shifted to the service industry and higher value manufacturing.

High value, low value lines are not so clear cut. For example Jier exports auto manufacturing lines to America because it has in some customers' perspective a competitive edge over its local competition. Sometimes it is not possible to manufacture fully due to the lack of local expertise even if taught because there is a knowledge capacity limit, one factor is the limited amount of skilled workers in that specialization.
http://www.jier-na.com/installations.html
https://www.aristeo.com/projects/pr...turing/Ford-Motor-Company-Woodhaven_AE45.html

My post was more targeted at US businesses, Than CN manufacturers/Brands.

Few examples I'm familiar with.

Inflatable manufacturer in CN have a 5-10% added margin than one in the US (when Adding Taxes/Shipping etc...)
Another exemple, Wax Casting. Same 2-3% Added Margin if Made in CN than in the US.
Textile Industry too, Where Automation can go up to around 80-95% (Jeans/Shirts/Shoes etc...) and Having a slightly longer Return of Investment... But still many prefer making it elsewhere (Bangladesh/Vietnam/Ethiopia etc...)

Few may say, the cost of "installation" is high and therefore prefer doing outside or by someone else, But a good Majority of them doesn't need that much.
Ex: A full Wax/Gold/Silver casting Line, will only cost you around 25-30k with 3-4 ppl min (Capacity per month around 10k pcs at retail prices 0.20-6$/pcs "depends of the size/object/Type of metal)
Ex: Inflatable Manufacturing line, around 20K, with an output of 20-30pcs/month with 4ppl min (Medium pcs around 5-6K with 500$-700$ in products) -- Same product in CN around 4.5-5K+600-700$ shipping+10%tx

It doesn't need to be high Ends products, A good Majority of low End/Automated product could be Made in the US at almost the same price than in CN nowadays.

So, I believe a directed agenda on many "Small/Medium manufacturers" could Help in keeping the manufacturing flow at home, without bleeding too much.

Last edited:
Everything is fine in America! Verge of collapse in China!:-):-)

Back
Top Bottom