What's new

Trial of missile defence system likely by year-end

Can these missiles really give an advantage to India against Pakistan's nukes? As the article says the range of interception is 50km and 100km. But Pakistan and India share a border, isn't the distance is very small???

Great new indeed. But this part of news is bragging.

"The first successful test was carried out in November 2006. “If successful, India’s BMD system would be way ahead compared to that of US and China, in terms of simultaneous intercepting and handling of multiple targets by multiple interceptors in a hit-to-destroy mode at such long distances,” said a senior DRDO official.""

Once again you are comparing India with US which is decades ahead in terms of technology as against rest of the world. even US had its own share of recurrent failures in realizing BMD .

Well it's complicated science ....so I am content with pace of progress ....

Each new test is expected to bring something new , afresh to work station ...

I think people who are working hard for this needs to be cheered up ....!!!

Other important aspect is that it puts spotlight on the issue ....makes agencies answerable ....

Believe me India media is worse than hound ....if test is failure , they will chase DRDO like nothing .so it generates kind of public pressure on Agencies to deliver .

I think it serves as both Carrot and stick ....

If you succeed you are eulogized ...if you fail you are bashed up very next moment !!!

You may see this as boon or bane of Indian media ...depending upon your perspective !

Can these missiles really give an advantage to India against Pakistan's nukes? As the article says the range of interception is 50km and 100km. But Pakistan and India share a border, isn't the distance is very small???

I think these are interception altitudes ....journalist who reported seems to have goofed up !

Same reports says Phase I tested for missiles of range 1000 km .....Phase II will test to intercept missiles with 5000 Km ...!!!

Great news!!!

Currently Indian missile defence system is comparable with the U.S. Patriot 3 system, which was successfully used during the 1990 Gulf War against Iraq and with further tests under phase II, it should assure all round protection from the long range ballistic missile threats too....

Once again you are comparing

I think these are interception altitudes ....journalist who reported seems to have goofed up !

Same reports says Phase I tested for missiles of range 1000 km .....Phase II will test to intercept missiles with 5000 Km ...!!!
What is the range of these intercepters???
I am curious that the distance b/w major cities of Pakistan and India is very small especially distance b/w capitals. So can this BMD shield really give advantage against Pakistan???
As distance b/w Dehli and Beijing is quite long and these missiles can be advantage against china.

What is the range of these intercepters???
I am curious that the distance b/w major cities of Pakistan and India is very small especially distance b/w capitals. So can this BMD shield really give advantage against Pakistan???
As distance b/w Dehli and Beijing is quite long and these missiles can be advantage against china.

My knowledge is as good as yours ....

BMD is supposed to give advantage against Pakistan's arsenal ....I am not sure how much protection BMD will give against China's missile on-slought ...especially given their 'stated' MIRV capability ....

Be assured that the need to use BMD or missile will not arise ....unless some madman has the reins in hand to do so ....

which is very unlikely in India !!!

Once again you are comparing India with US which is decades ahead in terms of technology as against rest of the world. even US had its own share of recurrent failures in realizing BMD .

Well it's complicated science ....so I am content with pace of progress ....

Each new test is expected to bring something new , afresh to work station ...

I think people who are working hard for this needs to be cheered up ....!!!

Other important aspect is that it puts spotlight on the issue ....makes agencies answerable ....

Believe me India media is worse than hound ....if test is failure , they will chase DRDO like nothing .so it generates kind of public pressure on Agencies to deliver .

I think it serves as both Carrot and stick ....

If you succeed you are eulogized ...if you fail you are bashed up very next moment !!!

You may see this as boon or bane of Indian media ...depending upon your perspective !

I'm not comparing anything, I'm just quoting from the article. Stop putting words into my mouth when I'm just quoting the article. Go read the article again.

BMD is supposed to give advantage against Pakistan's arsenal
How???? that is my point???
Just suppose that Pakistan has launched a missile, the Indian system will first detect it and then launch an interceptor. That interceptor will surely take some time to reach full speed (no matter how short) but Pakistani missile(as it is launched earlier) has achieved its maximum speed and heading towards the target. Now given that the very small distance b/w Pakistan and Dehli, how this interceptor will protect the capital???

I'm not comparing anything, I'm just quoting from the article. Stop putting words into my mouth when I'm just quoting the article. Go read the article again.

I am sorry . I didn't realize that you had quoted from article ....I had missed that last para of article. My apologies ....!!!

Yes , I am too not sure about validity of that statement !

How???? that is my point???
Just suppose that Pakistan has launched a missile, the Indian system will first detect it and then launch an interceptor. That interceptor will surely take some time to reach full speed (no matter how short) but Pakistani missile(as it is launched earlier) has achieved its maximum speed and heading towards the target. Now given that the very small distance b/w Pakistan and Dehli, how this interceptor will protect the capital???

I don't know specifics ....I only know that BMD interceptors have successfully intercepted incoming Prithvi missile : mimicking enemy missile - at speed and altitude a missile with 1000 km rage will have. since Majority Pakistani missiles are in that range ...They could be neutralized ....

I understand your query ....distance between Karachi and Mumbai is 800 km .....

The reaction time for BMD placed for Mumbai will be very small ....

I am not sure how exactly BMD works in this scenario .....

But Offensive capability can always overwhelm defensive capability ....which is the greatest fallacy of any defensive system !!!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom