What's new

Trent Woodhill appointed as Pakistan batting coach

S.U.R.B.

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Trent Woodhill appointed as Pakistan batting coach

Pakistan have appointed the Australian Trent Woodhill as their batting coach for the Champions Trophy. He will join the squad directly in England and will be on probation for three weeks with the national side in June.

Woodhill, 42, is currently part of the support staff with Delhi Daredevils in the ongoing IPL. He was New Zealand's assistant coach till last year and has also been involved with Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League in Australia.

"He was offered a short-term role as batting coach and he has accepted it," Intikhab Alam, PCB Director international cricket, told reporters. "His services will be on trial and if the management is happy with his work his contract will be extended."

The decision to appoint Woodhill followed serious concerns over Pakistan's fragile batting, which flopped during their 3-0 rout in the Tests in South Africa earlier this year. The team also lost the five-match one-day series 3-2. Pakistan had been hunting for a batting coach for the last year and a half but never settled on one candidate.

In response to a PCB advertisement last year, several former players, including Zaheer Abbas and Saleem Malik, applied for the role but the PCB had insisted on hiring a candidate with at least a Level 3 coaching accreditation and a minimum of five years' experience working with top cricketers. Pakistan appointed the former captain Inzamam-ul Haq ahead of the India tour last year but he wasn't retained.

"He (Woodhill) was preferred over the former players in our country only because of his qualification," Alam said. "These days, coaching qualifications have become very necessary. He is an experienced coach and has worked with various teams, but if the experiment goes wrong, it's a three-week contract, not a lengthy one."

157515.2.jpg

Well a new face for me as well.They say,"Woodhill is currently assistant coach at Delhi Daredevils."
Haven't seen IPL probably that's why.
Can somebody comment on how is his team performing in that league?
On the media here the senior lot of circketers are committed to give that guy a hard time right from the start.

Pakistan baffled by new batting coach selection​

KARACHI: Pakistan’s appointment of Trent Woodhill as batting coach for the Champions Trophy has been met with bafflement, with former greats saying they had never even heard of the Australian.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Monday appointed the 42-year-old Woodhill for three weeks after the team’s disastrous performance with the bat on their recent tour of South Africa.
Woodhill is currently assistant coach at Delhi Daredevils.
Former Test captain Hanif Mohammad, one of Pakistan’s all-time great batsman and for many years holder of the world-record first class score of 499, was unimpressed.
“Who is Woodhill?” said Hanif. “I heard his name for the first time in my life. I am surprised how the PCB chose him when his credentials are not known.”
Former wicket-keeper and captain Rashid Latif also claimed ignorance.
“What can I say about a coach whose name I have not heard before?” said Latif. “Pakistan have a batting legend in Javed Miandad who should be helping the batsmen.”
Miandad, Pakistan’s leading Test run-scorer with 8,832, is currently a director general in the PCB. He will help the batsmen during a tune-up camp in Abbottabad before the team’s departure for Britain.
Former captain Moin Khan said Inzamamul Haq should have been given the job.
“Pakistan has so many big names who could have helped the batsmen in a better way than an unknown person,” said Moin.
However, PCB director of international cricket Intikhab Alam defended Woodhill’s appointment for a short stint, saying that he has rich experience as a batting and fielding coach.

Trent Woodhill has worked with Shield sides in Australia, been David Warner's personal batting coach(And warner has improved very much since!) and worked with NZ national team and is currently working in IPL.

He is a level 3 qualified coach.

He's not unknown in the cricketing world. People often tend to think that only former players can make coaches and that good player makes good coaches, but thats not right.

Well a new face for me as well.They say,"Woodhill is currently assistant coach at Delhi Daredevils."
Haven't seen IPL probably that's why.
Can somebody comment on how is his team performing in that league?

They aren't doing very well. But I don't really think his coaching has anything to do with it. You can't judge him from his IPL side's performance.

They aren't doing very well. But I don't really think his coaching has anything to do with it. You can't judge him from his IPL side's performance.

Yep. Donald's side is not doing very well either as far as I know, but that doesnt tell the entire story since Allan Donald is a very good coach!

He's not unknown in the cricketing world. People often tend to think that only former players can make coaches and that good player makes good coaches, but thats not right.

You share my opinion on this thing.
The legends think it's their monopoly,which it isn't and this applies all over the world almost universally in most of the sports.Although they do venture in that field with mixed results.But on the other hand they must realize that to manage a group of players and coach them for different situations require certain amount of knowledge and skills which you need to develop with time.Being an excellent player doesn't mean that you must be able to coach equally good.

You share my opinion on this thing.
The legends think it's their monopoly,which it isn't and this applies all over the world almost universally.Although they do venture in that field with mixed results.But on the other hand they must realize that to manage a group of players and coach them for different situations require certain amount of knowledge and skills which you need to develop with time.Being an excellent player doesn't mean that you must be able to coach equally good.

Exactly. We have a great example in Pakistan.

Javed Miandad - A great legendary player who is the best batsman from Pakistan ever.

His coaching doesnt make a difference. I have noticed that it actually sometimes gets worse :P

He was a great player, but as a batting coach, he is a waste.

Exactly. We have a great example in Pakistan.

Javed Miandad - A great legendary player who is the best batsman from Pakistan ever.

His coaching doesnt make a difference. I have noticed that it actually sometimes gets worse :P

He was a great player, but as a batting coach, he is a waste.

Appointing a senior player of the home team(who have been a part of the team at sometime) can have certain disadvantages that the board mostly ward off or negate before choosing a candidate .Local players come coaches involve themselves too much & become a part of the politics being played to achieve their goals.But that can be discouraging for certain players of the team.Which drops the moral and shuts the door for a competitive and talent friendly environment.

Appointing a senior player of the home team(who have been a part of the team at sometime) can have certain disadvantages that the board mostly ward off or negate before choosing a candidate .Local players come coaches involve themselves too much & become a part of the politics being played to achieve their goals.But that can be discouraging for certain players of the team.Which drops the moral and shuts the door for a competitive and talent friendly environment.

Yep. The risk of politics in the team with locals is high though we should not generalize either, BUT the main difference is that of course the overseas coaches wants to earn money and coach, train the team. They dont get involved in politics.

Back
Top Bottom