What's new

Trads: The extreme Hindu nationalists inspired by alt-right memes

One thing I know is that Hindus never cross the line. They are peaceful, understanding and accomodative. The right wing rise is verbal and cultural in nature and not communal and harming physically as the west liberals are trying to portray.

I am surprised to see you making an obvious mistake. A glaring one.

These creatures are creations of the media. They can do nothing, except form a lunatic fringe that howls at the full moon.

It is the rot within the administrative infrastructure, including the personnel manning the infrastructure, that should worry the hell out of people.

Even there, there is a saving grace.

These 'influentials', the engine room people, will be totally neutralised by the stupidity of the ruling party. Try to think it through. When people - Indian AND Pakistani alike - have only one idea in their minds, and that idea is one of hate, they can't work their way out of a paper bag.

All that is happening now is that the poor are getting poorer, the rich are getting nearer, the hopeful are getting more hopeful, the pessimists are getting more pessimistic.
Sir, would disagree here. This is a part of global world resurgence of right wing extremism just like @That Guy is stating. The fact that the media is a part of it is also integral but in another way: the traditional media coverage adds fuel to the fire and the internet culture spreading it is a cause for concern. There is considerable academic focus on this phenomenon since 2016 and it is not a particularly Indian or South Asian problem but a global one.

Sir, would disagree here. This is a part of global world resurgence of right wing extremism just like @That Guy is stating. The fact that the media is a part of it is also integral but in another way: the traditional media coverage adds fuel to the fire and the internet culture spreading it is a cause for concern. There is considerable academic focus on this phenomenon since 2016 and it is not a particularly Indian or South Asian problem but a global one.
You are right, and my answer was incomplete to that extent.

It IS a global phenomenon, one of resurgent nationalism, and very unpleasant right wing tendencies, and there are common patterns.

Your point about the role of the traditional media - lighting the flame - and the internet culture - spreading the flame - is well articulated; I shall, with your permission, be including this in my commentary going forward.

As for the rest of it, to be honest, it is small comfort to be told that this is a global phenomenon and we are only seeing a part of it, the part that plays out in our lands. Clearly correct, equally clearly disappointing.

A fair analysis.

As for hostility, it honestly seems like with increasing right wing rhetoric in India, and a decrease in Pakistan that the hostility is now coming from India rather than Pakistan.

Bit I suspect we may not completely see eye to eye on this part. 😅
Liberalism has lost its credibility and the elites are now in desperation mode. It lost because for decades it was used as a cynical charade as a cover for MIC warmongers and billionaire plunderers while the middle class was left to rot. Now the chickens are coming home to roost and god knows when the wheels are coming off. A takeover of the right in America will mean usher in an unending phase of racial and cultural civil war.

Back
Top Bottom