What's new

Toxic cough syrup kills 16 in Pakistan: officials

Reaction score
Country
India
At least 16 people have died after drinking a toxic cough syrup in the Pakistani city of Lahore, forcing authorities to close three pharmacies and a medicine factory, officials said on Monday.

The deaths occurred in the low-income Shahdra Town neighbourhood between Friday and
Sunday with the victims mostly drug addicts who took the syrup to get high, said local police station chief Atif Zulfiqar.
The scandal comes after around 100 heart patients died in January in Lahore, Pakistan's second largest city, after taking faulty medicine made locally.

"At least 16 people, mostly drug addicts, have died after taking the toxic syrup," Zulfiqar said, updating an earlier death toll of 13.

"Some of the victims were found dead in a graveyard where addicts used to take different kinds of drugs," he said. Seven others died in hospital.

Three pharmacies have been shut down and their owners arrested, he added.

The health adviser for Punjab province, Khawaja Salman Rafiq, said the syrup would be confiscated from all pharmacies.

He said inspectors had shut down a drugs factory and sent samples to a laboratory for detailed analysis.

"Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif has ordered an inquiry and a report will be submitted to him within 72 hours," Rafiq said.

Doctor Tahir Khalil at Lahore's Mayo Hospital said 20 victims aged 15 to 45 had been admitted after drinking the syrup and most had a history of addiction.

"One of the victims who was in critical condition died today and the total deaths in hospital are seven," Khalil said.

"Six people were saved and were discharged after treatment, while seven others were still admitted to hospital," he added.

Toxic cough syrup kills 16 in Pakistan: officials - Hindustan Times

The people responsible should be hanged. RIP to the poor people.

why every year a health issue comes in punjab, doctors strike almost every month, fake medicenes, dengue and now this. is that governce of so called khadim e aala

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3642408 said:
so you are suggesting to waste our resources for as simple thing as this when we are already loaning money from IMF?

is getting medicine for the sick considered a waste of money in Pakistan?

There is line of casualties from wrong medications in Lahore another serious very incident .. May the Dead rest in peace and those responsible are dealth with severly punished.

These are cough syrups having sedative effects and these killings are due to overdose of these drugs,mostly used for sedative purposes in high doses....
R.I.P to the dead people..

These are cough syrups having sedative effects and these killings are due to overdose of these drugs,mostly used for sedative purposes in high doses....
R.I.P to the dead people..

Those doses must not be able to kill.... There might have been an overdose...

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3642408 said:
so you are suggesting to waste our resources for as simple thing as this when we are already loaning money from IMF?

India are the cheapest producers of generic drugs. Indian companies can be invited to invest in pakistan, if ur govt wishes

Those doses must not be able to kill.... There might have been an overdose...

India are the cheapest producers of generic drugs. Indian companies can be invited to invest in pakistan, if ur govt wishes

i think in this environment when pakistani locals are fearing investment, i dont think indians would find a perfect environment for investment

personally i dont mind indian investment, it would generate environment for competition, but it should be with certain conditions that it doesnt hurt our own local investment

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3643197 said:
i think in this environment when pakistani locals are fearing investment, i dont think indians would find a perfect environment for investment

personally i dont mind indian investment, it would generate environment for competition, but it should be with certain conditions that it doesnt hurt our own local investment

In that case local manufacturers have to form a JV with Indian ones.

Some people will always misuse the medicine. Sleeping pills are used for suicide, Cough syrup is used to get high in Bangladesh, and Indian made prescription pain killer, Tramadol, is used as a drug in gaza.

Even though people don't die by overusage of cough syrup. It must be spurious coughsyrup, similar to the spurious heartmedicine used in Karachi.

Stringent time -to time check are required to monitor the product from the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom