What's new

Tornado attacked , 8 died and about 300 injured

@Azazel:On the other hand,in West Bengal the phenomenon called Kal Baishakhi which used to appear in May-June has suddenly disappeared for the last few years. It's really strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Azazel:On the other hand,in West Bengal the phenomenon called Kal Baishakhi which used to appear in May-June has suddenly disappeared for the last few years. It's really strange.

Is it some form of Norwesters??I read somewhere that Indian Norwesters are some what similar to those deadly storms in US midwest,And they do accompany a lot of tornadoes.

^yes,they are norwesters called kalbaisakhi.It was a mess when i was a kid. But for the last ten years or so it has vanished slowly from this regions.

We have got kalboishakhi still. Their season is about to begin.
Strange its reducing day by day.
But kalboishakhi and tornadoes are different.

My father did not surprised by this Tornado, he said he witnessed many Tornadoes in his childhood.

(Reuters) - A tornado swept through nearly two dozen villages southeast of the Bangladeshi capital, killing at least 20 people, tearing roofs off houses and uprooting trees and power pylons, officials said.

The death toll could rise sharply as more than 300 people were injured when the twister struck Brahmanbaria district, more than 100 km (60 miles) southeast of Dhaka, on Friday evening.

More than 500 dwellings suffered damage. Rescue teams were dispatched to the area, but uprooted trees and wrecked vehicles closed large stretches of highway and rail lines.

Among the damaged buildings was Brahmanbaria jail, which partially collapsed, killing a guard. But officials said all inmates remained inside the facility and were safe.

"It destroyed everything I had. Nothing is left," Mohammad Nizam, a village resident, told Reuters. "We found ourselves rolling in the mud within minutes."

Tornado kills 20 people in Bangladesh | Reuters

(Reuters) - A tornado swept through nearly two dozen villages southeast of the Bangladeshi capital, killing at least 20 people, tearing roofs off houses and uprooting trees and power pylons, officials said.

The death toll could rise sharply as more than 300 people were injured when the twister struck Brahmanbaria district, more than 100 km (60 miles) southeast of Dhaka, on Friday evening.

More than 500 dwellings suffered damage. Rescue teams were dispatched to the area, but uprooted trees and wrecked vehicles closed large stretches of highway and rail lines.

Among the damaged buildings was Brahmanbaria jail, which partially collapsed, killing a guard. But officials said all inmates remained inside the facility and were safe.

"It destroyed everything I had. Nothing is left," Mohammad Nizam, a village resident, told Reuters. "We found ourselves rolling in the mud within minutes."

Tornado kills 20 people in Bangladesh | Reuters

very sad to see this kinda new disasters in our sub-continent... .....

@madx: That's scary.Reminded me the movie Twister.People who are on the street were putting their lives in risk I think.Because that funnel could move fast to them.

Hi @Jako:onek din bade:wave:

I used to enjoy destroyed in second program on discovery where they show this types of tornado.
But unfortunately we are the victim now.

The sad thing is The Super power itself unable to face this kinda natural disaster......

but happy thing is we don't go for wooden house like western.....which can't withstand with tornadoes ... I don't know about the BD.... unfortunately victims will be poor.... because most of this disaster happens near villages or large open places.... the only thing we can do is... Building house strong... at-least constructing strong shelters in rural areas to protect mass from natural disaster ...

Back
Top Bottom