What's new

Top 5 Holiday Spots in India

Foo_Fighter

Reaction score
This list has been created by me as I love to travel a lot. This list contain places where one could stay and enjoy the local culture (just not must see or must visit). I do agree that people would agree and disagree with my choices here, however those who disagree and travel like me could post their Top 5 would be great.

5. Pondicherry
Best time to Visit
October to February is the best time to visit for Pondicherry. October is beautiful just before the heaven’s open up in November when there are heavy rains. December and January are important months for the locals who celebrate Christmas and New Year with aplomb. These are also the months when activity at the Ashram increases because of the birth and death anniversaries of Shree Aurobindo and The Mother. Weather wise it is pleasant until March after which it gets hot.

Culture of Pondicherry
With a resident population that is truly multi-national and multi-ethnic, Pondicherry’s culture is a cosmopolitan one with strong ties to the indigenous culture of the region. A direct consequence of the exposure to so much diversity has been a secular attitude that is characteristic of the native of Pondicherry.

2ur9i6o.jpg

4. Gangtok
Best time to Visit

The climate in Gangtok in the months of September and October is cordially mild and pleasing. The temperature during this time of the year nestles at a range from 15 degree to 20 degree and offers spectacular foliage. The temperature slightly drops to 12 degree during the months of November and the temperature in Gangtok in December and January ranges between 2 degree and 8 degree, which is freezing cold. In the spring, from February to March, the Gangtok weather receives a mild temperature that cuddles at 15 degree to a maximum of 22 degree.
During the summer that are from April to June the temperature in Gangtok ranges from 20 degree to a maximum of 27 degree and is the ideal time when one can find and discover a relishing holiday.
Culture of Gangtok
Culture-1.jpg

The People of Sikkim consist of three ethnic groups, that is, Lepcha, Bhutia and Nepali. Communities of different hues intermingle freely in Sikkim to constitute a homogenous blend. Hindu Temples coexist with Buddhist Monasteries, Churches, Mosque and Gurudwara. The predominant Communities are Lepchas, Bhutias and Nepalese. These myriad Cultures has produced a quintessential Sikkimese Culture that encompasses all ways and walk of life, but has also managed to preserve their own identity. These can also be seen in the various places of Worship, Festivals and Cultural dances that are celebrated through the year.
27y8pvt.jpg

3. Kerala

Best time to Visit
Kerala experiences pleasant weather throughout the year. It is a paradise for tourists. If you were thinking about the ideal time to visit Kerala, then the best time to visit Kerala would be in the months of October to March. These months are usually the peak season for Kerala visit. Though this period is age old, now Kerala is thronged with tourists all year around.

Usually people used to avoid June and July due to heavy monsoons. But now, coming to Kerala during monsoons is considered as an experience in itself. Monsoons are also an ideal time to go for nice and warm massages. The whole atmosphere looks like it has been cleaned spic and span. There is not a speck of dust in the air. The trees look lush green and the hills can't look less mystified. It seems as if entire Kerala has been dipped in water and taken out.

Kerala does not have very harsh weather conditions. That is all the more reason for visitors to come here during any time of the year. Summers and winters are pleasant with very slight variations in temperature. Thus, Kerala can be visited any time of the year.

Culture of Kerala

The music, dance and language of Kerala are same to that can be seen in rest of Thamizhagom. The arrival of Vasco da Gama, coming of foreign traders and invation by Portuguese defined a new cultural heritage in its people.

The mother tongue of Kerala is Malayalam and the natives are known as Malayalees. It is believed that Parasurama is the creator of Kerala. He converted a portion of sea into land by throwing his axe.

Kerala has a rich cultural heritage. Its diverse culture is influenced by three main religions of Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. Exquisite sculptures, music and dance forms can be seen in the historic development of Kerala's cultural traditions.
The traditions of Kathakali and Mohiniattam are highly developed art forms that have developed from their folk origins into highly evolved classical dance forms. Kathakali is a 300-year-old dance form developed exclusively in Kerala combiningthe performing art forms of opera, ballet, masque, and pantomime. The dance is a beautiful blending of color, dance, music, drama, and expressions. In a sense, a lot of the fame that the state has gained is mainly due to the popularity of this dance form. Other dance forms of Kerala are Krishnanattom, Mohiniyattom, Thullal, Koodiyattom, Kolkkali, Thiruvathirakali, Kakkarishi Natakom, Oppanna, and Chavittunatakom. Panchavadyam, Nadanpattu, Omanathinkal Kidavo and many more music forms have evolved over the centuries in Kerala.​
6ghjyt.jpg

2. Munsiyari (Uttranchal)
Best Time to Visit Munsiyari
The months of March to June and mid-September to October are thebest time for visiting Munsiyari as the days are pleasant with ambient temperatures being in the 25 - 30 degree C range and the nights being a little cooler. This period is also best for trekking in the surrounding mountains. The monsoon starts in July and carries on till early September and visiting in these months are best avoided, because of the dampness and incessant rains.

November is very pleasant and sees the onset of winter with December and January being the coldest months and temperatures dropping drastically.

Culture of Munsiyari
For the local tribal inhabitants of this frontier settlement Munsiyari represents the “place of snow “. Surrounded by high snow caped mountains and several glacial springs, the small town of Munsiyari is also the gateway to the famous Milam, Ralam and Pachu glaciers. It is also the only access to one of India’s highest mountains – Nanda Devi East (24829 feet).

The journey itself to this “last frontier” is packed with excitement: along the route are some of the best waterfalls of the region. The valley is dotted by quaint hamlets with a cultural life style steeped in tradition and simplicity. Almost every village surrounding Munsiyari town is rich with traditional handicrafts – hand woven carpets, pashmina shawls, sheep wool blankets, wooden artifacts, and so on. Traditional folk dances like the Jhora, Cholia, and Chhapelli are great to watch. For people in search of high adventure, Munsiyari is the starting point for some of the best legendary high altitude treks that are listed in the Lonely Planet!
23v2j8.jpg

1. Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Best time to visit Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Andaman has a moderate temperature all through the year within the range of 23°C to 31°C. It has a tropical climate. There are no severe climate conditions except for tropical storms and rains in late summers and monsoons.

• Summers (March to May): warm but pleasant with sea breeze and have humidity level about 80%. It is suitable for all kinds of tourist activities.
  • Monsoon season is also recommended for visit to Andaman & Nicobar Islands as tourist can have more options both indoors and outdoors. There is no water logging or traffic jams. The lush green vegetation and scenic beauty of the islands are more predominant in monsoon.Monsoons (May to August) and Post Monsoons (September to November) accompany medium to heavy rainfalls.Hoteliers in Andamans offer attractive discounts during monsoon seasons.June to September is prone to heavy rains.
  • Winters (December to February) are not chilly and ideal for sight seeing.
Culture at Andaman & Nicobar Islands
The most distinguishing aspect of Andaman and Nicobar culture are the culture of the indigenous people of the islands. Andaman and Nicobar islanders can be divided into two major groups. The inhabitants of the Andamans are of Negroid origin and migrated from Africa thousands of years ago, way back in the later Paleolithic age. The main ethnic groups are:
  • Andamanese
  • Onge
  • Jarawa
  • Sentinalese
The inhabitants of Nicobar are equally old, if nor older. They are however of a Mongoloid origin. The main groups of Nicobar tribes are the Nicobari (Nicobarese) and Shompen. All these tribes have continued with their indigenous culture at Andaman and Nicobar islands, and still continue to do so. The relative isolation of these tribes have helped to preserve these streams of Andaman and Nicobar culture.

ipazrr.jpg

This list has been created by me as I love to travel a lot. This list contain places where one could stay and enjoy the local culture (just not must see or must visit). I do agree that people would agree and disagree with my choices here, however those who disagree and travel like me could post their Top 5 would be great.

5. Pondicherry
Best time to Visit
October to February is the best time to visit for Pondicherry. October is beautiful just before the heaven’s open up in November when there are heavy rains. December and January are important months for the locals who celebrate Christmas and New Year with aplomb. These are also the months when activity at the Ashram increases because of the birth and death anniversaries of Shree Aurobindo and The Mother. Weather wise it is pleasant until March after which it gets hot.

Culture of Pondicherry
With a resident population that is truly multi-national and multi-ethnic, Pondicherry’s culture is a cosmopolitan one with strong ties to the indigenous culture of the region. A direct consequence of the exposure to so much diversity has been a secular attitude that is characteristic of the native of Pondicherry.
2ur9i6o.jpg

4. Gangtok
Best time to Visit

The climate in Gangtok in the months of September and October is cordially mild and pleasing. The temperature during this time of the year nestles at a range from 15 degree to 20 degree and offers spectacular foliage. The temperature slightly drops to 12 degree during the months of November and the temperature in Gangtok in December and January ranges between 2 degree and 8 degree, which is freezing cold. In the spring, from February to March, the Gangtok weather receives a mild temperature that cuddles at 15 degree to a maximum of 22 degree.
During the summer that are from April to June the temperature in Gangtok ranges from 20 degree to a maximum of 27 degree and is the ideal time when one can find and discover a relishing holiday.
Culture of Gangtok
Culture-1.jpg

The People of Sikkim consist of three ethnic groups, that is, Lepcha, Bhutia and Nepali. Communities of different hues intermingle freely in Sikkim to constitute a homogenous blend. Hindu Temples coexist with Buddhist Monasteries, Churches, Mosque and Gurudwara. The predominant Communities are Lepchas, Bhutias and Nepalese. These myriad Cultures has produced a quintessential Sikkimese Culture that encompasses all ways and walk of life, but has also managed to preserve their own identity. These can also be seen in the various places of Worship, Festivals and Cultural dances that are celebrated through the year.
27y8pvt.jpg

3. Kerala

Best time to Visit
Kerala experiences pleasant weather throughout the year. It is a paradise for tourists. If you were thinking about the ideal time to visit Kerala, then the best time to visit Kerala would be in the months of October to March. These months are usually the peak season for Kerala visit. Though this period is age old, now Kerala is thronged with tourists all year around.

Usually people used to avoid June and July due to heavy monsoons. But now, coming to Kerala during monsoons is considered as an experience in itself. Monsoons are also an ideal time to go for nice and warm massages. The whole atmosphere looks like it has been cleaned spic and span. There is not a speck of dust in the air. The trees look lush green and the hills can't look less mystified. It seems as if entire Kerala has been dipped in water and taken out.

Kerala does not have very harsh weather conditions. That is all the more reason for visitors to come here during any time of the year. Summers and winters are pleasant with very slight variations in temperature. Thus, Kerala can be visited any time of the year.

Culture of Kerala

The music, dance and language of Kerala are same to that can be seen in rest of Thamizhagom. The arrival of Vasco da Gama, coming of foreign traders and invation by Portuguese defined a new cultural heritage in its people.

The mother tongue of Kerala is Malayalam and the natives are known as Malayalees. It is believed that Parasurama is the creator of Kerala. He converted a portion of sea into land by throwing his axe.

Kerala has a rich cultural heritage. Its diverse culture is influenced by three main religions of Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. Exquisite sculptures, music and dance forms can be seen in the historic development of Kerala's cultural traditions.
The traditions of Kathakali and Mohiniattam are highly developed art forms that have developed from their folk origins into highly evolved classical dance forms. Kathakali is a 300-year-old dance form developed exclusively in Kerala combiningthe performing art forms of opera, ballet, masque, and pantomime. The dance is a beautiful blending of color, dance, music, drama, and expressions. In a sense, a lot of the fame that the state has gained is mainly due to the popularity of this dance form. Other dance forms of Kerala are Krishnanattom, Mohiniyattom, Thullal, Koodiyattom, Kolkkali, Thiruvathirakali, Kakkarishi Natakom, Oppanna, and Chavittunatakom. Panchavadyam, Nadanpattu, Omanathinkal Kidavo and many more music forms have evolved over the centuries in Kerala.​
6ghjyt.jpg

2. Munsiyari (Uttranchal)
Best Time to Visit Munsiyari
The months of March to June and mid-September to October are thebest time for visiting Munsiyari as the days are pleasant with ambient temperatures being in the 25 - 30 degree C range and the nights being a little cooler. This period is also best for trekking in the surrounding mountains. The monsoon starts in July and carries on till early September and visiting in these months are best avoided, because of the dampness and incessant rains.

November is very pleasant and sees the onset of winter with December and January being the coldest months and temperatures dropping drastically.

Culture of Munsiyari
For the local tribal inhabitants of this frontier settlement Munsiyari represents the “place of snow “. Surrounded by high snow caped mountains and several glacial springs, the small town of Munsiyari is also the gateway to the famous Milam, Ralam and Pachu glaciers. It is also the only access to one of India’s highest mountains – Nanda Devi East (24829 feet).

The journey itself to this “last frontier” is packed with excitement: along the route are some of the best waterfalls of the region. The valley is dotted by quaint hamlets with a cultural life style steeped in tradition and simplicity. Almost every village surrounding Munsiyari town is rich with traditional handicrafts – hand woven carpets, pashmina shawls, sheep wool blankets, wooden artifacts, and so on. Traditional folk dances like the Jhora, Cholia, and Chhapelli are great to watch. For people in search of high adventure, Munsiyari is the starting point for some of the best legendary high altitude treks that are listed in the Lonely Planet!
23v2j8.jpg

1. Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Best time to visit Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Andaman has a moderate temperature all through the year within the range of 23°C to 31°C. It has a tropical climate. There are no severe climate conditions except for tropical storms and rains in late summers and monsoons.

• Summers (March to May): warm but pleasant with sea breeze and have humidity level about 80%. It is suitable for all kinds of tourist activities.
  • Monsoon season is also recommended for visit to Andaman & Nicobar Islands as tourist can have more options both indoors and outdoors. There is no water logging or traffic jams. The lush green vegetation and scenic beauty of the islands are more predominant in monsoon.Monsoons (May to August) and Post Monsoons (September to November) accompany medium to heavy rainfalls.Hoteliers in Andamans offer attractive discounts during monsoon seasons.June to September is prone to heavy rains.
  • Winters (December to February) are not chilly and ideal for sight seeing.
Culture at Andaman & Nicobar Islands
The most distinguishing aspect of Andaman and Nicobar culture are the culture of the indigenous people of the islands. Andaman and Nicobar islanders can be divided into two major groups. The inhabitants of the Andamans are of Negroid origin and migrated from Africa thousands of years ago, way back in the later Paleolithic age. The main ethnic groups are:
  • Andamanese
  • Onge
  • Jarawa
  • Sentinalese
The inhabitants of Nicobar are equally old, if nor older. They are however of a Mongoloid origin. The main groups of Nicobar tribes are the Nicobari (Nicobarese) and Shompen. All these tribes have continued with their indigenous culture at Andaman and Nicobar islands, and still continue to do so. The relative isolation of these tribes have helped to preserve these streams of Andaman and Nicobar culture.

ipazrr.jpg

I've been to both Andaman and Nicobar and Pondicherry, whereas A&N is simply awe inspiring, Pondichery is like walking along the roads of Southern France, people even speak French, elegant and beautiful.

Well I went to Pondi last year, didnt find much other then good sea food and french colony, paradise beach is also good.

I want to go to A&N Island... K hear it has a great views

Some how Pondichery doesnt ft in my list..... Probably goa could have been a better choice....... I been to pondy few times, I felt mahabalipuram better than pondy......

anybody been to Lakshadweep? I believe is no lesser than Maldives..

my serious all time top 5 ok ?

1. koorg/kodagu

2. andamans

3. sundarbans

4. kottayam only (in kerala). maybe wayanad too.

5. north bengal. it has darjeeling. suck on that ! :lol:

@Foo_Fighter what should I choose for the upcoming holiday season (new year holidays). I have 2 small kids (< 5 years old)

Dear indiatester,

As per my knowledge, I would recommend the following 3 holidays for children (holiday also depends on your stay duration which I am presuming is at least more than 2 nights):

1. Jim Corbett National Park
2. Munnar in Kerala
3. Of-course my own Pithoragarh

regards

1) Lahore
2) Goa
3) Kashmir
4) Bombay
5) Hill stations

These are the top 5 places in India

anybody been to Lakshadweep? I believe is no lesser than Maldives..
Looks same..But culture,language and peoples are different..Lakshadweep peoples are overhemly ethnic Malayali Muslims..

Back
Top Bottom