What's new

Top 5 Countries to Live In - Which would you prefer?

I've lived in quite a few places around the world

1. Denmark
2. Sweden
3. Canada
4. New Zealand
5. Iceland

I am happy to be Indian. However - the driving, the corruption etc. drive me up the wall. I lived in the US for 6 years and that country too has many problems - gun problems, crime and a pathetic health care system - so am not choosing it. May be 2-3 generations down the line India will be in Top 5. I am just giving an objective answer - not typing list based on patriotism.

That isn't an objective answer I think.

If I was rich and didn't have to worry about making money I would probably live in Muğla Marmaris area, possible and island or a sea side town in Turkey or an island in Greece.

1. Australia - The lucky country, Home
2. US - Living it large
3. New Zealand - Amazing freedom
4. Sri Lanka - Motherland/ Stunningly beautiful, Plentiful would be no 1, If not for it's fucked up people
5. Argentina - Open spaces/ Beautiful people

French Polynesia wouldn't be bad

62651812.jpg

Middle of nowhere far from everything and everybody

If I was wealthy, then some lovely areas in Italy/Spain, right now,

1) Any Northern European nation (if I was more settled, i.e family situation, job situation but im in my 20's, I want to enjoy life before I sedate my mind.
2) Czech republic, Prague mainly, such an awesome country, dirt cheap, great cheap beer, great women, great tourist locations, amazing architecture aswell and a nice central location, its an amazing place if your in your mid 20s to 30s and you want to have fun, Budapest is similar aswell but to many gypsies there for my liking, really awesome place to though for fun.
3) Various places in the Netherlands, such a clean place and such a green place
4) Barcelona, a bit too many dodgey Africans who try to rob you but its another one of them fun places, even have cannabis clubs where you pay a monthly membership and get really cheap high quality stuff, plus football.
5) Somewhere different like Kazakhstan, I was going to teach English there a few years ago but didnt bother, looks like a unique experience.

I base most my list of what the quality of beer/weed is, and women, all of those places have the 3 vital groups in abundance and of high quality at reasonable prices.

I have no desire to remain in the UK but money isnt flowing nor are the opportunities, London would be one of the last places on my list, dirty shithole full of to many ethnicity stuck in their culture, overpriced everything, I know people spending 1/3 of their salary on train travel for fucks sake, what a horrible place full of tourists and economic migrants.

1-5 Iran. If I wanted to live somewhere else, I would be living somewhere else.

I bet Antartica has the highest HDI of all (since its just a few research scientists etc).

Well, no. Antarctica is actually divided into depended parts with are considered sovereign territory of the nations that laid claim to them as per the Antarctic Treaty which recognized these claims and disallows new claims.

Antarctic Treaty

So Queen Maud Land's HDI would be included into that of Greater Norway, as would Arctic claims:

1280px-Norway_in_the_world_(%2Bantarctic_claims_%2Barctic_territories)_(W3).svg.png

Rather than as part of Antarctica itself.

Peter I Isle:
K%C3%BCste_der_Peter-I.-Insel_in_der_Amundsen-See_1994.jpg

Peter_I_Island_in_Antarctica_(Relief).svg

Queen Maud Land:
QM-1119H.jpg

2000px-Antarctica,_Norway_territorial_claim.svg.png

And Bouvetøya - a sub-Antarctic island:
bouvetoyahero.jpg

Bouvet-Location.JPG

Belong to Norway, not Antarctica. But, even if these are included, Norway still has the highest HDI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no. Antarctica is actually divided into depended parts with are considered dependent territory of the nations that laid claim to them... so Queen Maud Land's HDI would be included into that of Greater Norway, rather than as part of Antarctica itself.

Bouvet Island is the only one recognised by the rest of the world as a dependency of Norway.

The other two are subject to the Antarctic treaty. A claim can be made but not operationalised. Hence why many countries claims even overlap, but they are still on friendly terms geopolitically.

Thats also why countries have set up their own research stations in other countries claimed areas, and there is no need for them to seek permission...nor is there any legal avenue for the claimant to pursue action against such stations. Its basically a continuing status quo from before the treaty that is allowed to continue in perpetuity till the situation changes somehow. But while it is in force, Antarctica for all intents and purposes is not owned (as far as recognized by the world at large) by anyone.

Please read article 4 of the treaty in its entirety, a treaty that Norway has signed and ratified:

http://www.ats.aq/documents/ats/treaty_original.pdf

I was just speaking in jest about Antarctica having the highest HDI anyway. Its sort of like dividing by zero....more a mental rather than practical exercise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom