What's new

Too Lively a Wife She Was For Jinnah!

karan.1970

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Well, we spend way too much time rubbishing each others' national heros.. Here's my 2 bits trying to buck the trend.. Came across this awesome article about Jinnah's personal life (I was not aware of this story)..

Jinnah | Too Lively a Wife She Was For Jinnah!

February 20 is not in the days marked for any birth or death anniversary in Pakistan. This day, 112 years back, was born a girl who at age 16 fell for, loved Muhammad Ali Jinnah, eloped with him at age 18, converted to Islam, married him, bore him a daughter, walked out on him at age 28, and died of an overdose of morphine on this very day at the age of 29. She lies buried in the Khoja Shia Isna’Ashari Cemetery, ( Mumbai ).

In the Summer of 1916, a textile magnet of Mumbai, Sir Dinshaw Monockjee Petit Bart’s took along his 16 year old daughter Ruttenbai, whom he fondly called Ruttie, and his 39 year old lawyer friend, Muhammad Ali Jinnah for a vacation at Darjeeling. Jinnah was single but a childhood widower. As a 16 year old student of law in England, his parents back in Karachi had ‘married’ him to a 14 year old bride Begum Emibai.

He never saw his bride. The ‘nikaah’ was performed in England with a male relative ‘representing’ her. The marriage was never consummated. The bride, of Paneli Village ( near Karachi ) was ill-fated to die without having a glimpse of the groom. Muhammad Ali Jinnah returned to Bombay and set up practice. Round about the same time, he plunged into politics and rose in ranks in Mahatma Gandhi’s movement.

Cupid struck at Darjeeling. Fearing Parsee Sir Dinshaw M.P. Bart’s resentment, a clever Muhammad Ali Jinnah was to ask him, one fine day, what the later thought of inter-religious marriages ? Sir Dinshaw reeled of his views: “It would be an ideal solution to inter-communal antagonism.” The suitor had elicited a response in his favour. He didn’t waste time. He asked for Ruttie’s hand. Her father now sensed the questioned cobweb.

Putting it behind, he flew into rage, dismissing the very proposal as “absurd and fantastic”. Ruttie, was not deported to Bombay. But Sir Dinshaw forbade the two to see, meet or talk. He even sought a court injunction. The true love birds held back fire. For, Ruttie was only 16. And the minimum age for wedlock under law was 18. On February 20, 1918, she came of age.

She eloped with Jinnah. Her father disinherited her. After conversion to Islam, she was renamed “Mariam” but it never stuck. Two months later, on April 19, 1918, the ‘nikaah’ was held at Jinnah’s imposing Mumbai mansion ‘South Court’, atop Malabir Hill. Jinnah committed a “mehar’ of Rs 125,000. Sir Dinshaw did not attend. The glitterati of Bombay did. Raja of Mahaudabad gifted the wedding ring.

A glowing compliment for Jinnah came from Sarojini Naidu — the “Nightingale of Bombay”; Ruttie, by then, had the enviable sobriquet “Flower of Bombay”, that “Blue Lily ( Neelofur in Urdu ) Jinnah has plucked”. The Raja of Mahmudabad compared Ruttie to “a fairy of kaus-i-kaaf.’( Caucasia ). Lead lawyer Dewan Chaman Lal said “there is not a women in the world to hold a candle to her for beauty and charm”.

Jinnah-Ruttie had a fairy tale honeymoon in Nainital, and later at Oberoi Maiden’s in Delhi. Shortly after a daughter, Dina ( later Wadia, mother of Nusli Wadia ) was born. Writes Khwaja Razi Haider’s in ‘Ruttie Jinnah’, she was “full of life, pulsating with fiery passions in her veins…radiated her charm and regaled with flashes of wit and repartee.”

Once when Lord Reading lamented, in her presence at Delhi in 1921, that he could not visit Germany due to World War I because “the Germans don’t like the British”, Ruttie retorted; “then how is that you British came to India ?” ( sourced from ‘Freedom at Midnight’ by Larry Collins and Dominique Lappierre.)

The marriage broke up. She walked out on an icy cool, autocratic Jinnah in 1928. Jinnah was to lament: “I seem to be losing her—she was slipping away and I resented this and felt miserable. Many of our little tiffs…were due to background of conflicts. In politics, I was an unhappy, lonely figure…now even my home life was ending.” Ruttie suffered insomnia, hallucinations, took to telepathy, séances and clairvoyance.

A year later, Ruttie was stricken with chronic colitis in France. Jinnah moved her to Mumbai where she breathed her last. He was by her bedside. Sir Dinshaw didn’t attend the funeral. Jinnah broke down as he strew dust on her graveyard.

In August 1947, he paid a last visit to Ruttie’s grave. And wept, a second time. He returned to Delhi, packed up and flew to Pakistan-in-making. In his baggage, was a love letter by Ruttie: “Try and remember me, beloved, as the flower you plucked and not the flower you tread upon.” It’s in a photo-frame at Jinnah’s Mausoleum.

Just a little correction, abt his first marriage...His first Nikah was not performed in London...He performed Nikah, just few days BEFORE, going to England.. So, its not tht both never got to see each other....Emibai was with him, before going to England...His mother, was a typical mother, of those times, who thought her son should get married, before going abroad ke kahin kisi "Angrez se shadi na kar le" .. And yes, he was in England, while his wife fell ill, and she died, while he was in England.. All this, you can read in Fatima Jinnah's book, "My brother"

Abt Ruttie and Jinnah, I read a book, "Ruttie Jinnah: It quoted sources, how they got married, and what could be the reasons of their separation..This is a youtube video, if anyone, is interested abt Ruttie and Jinnah...

Ruttie - Jinnah - YouTube

It also has the letter which Ruttie wrote to Jinnah, in the end.... I read this letter in this book... So this youtube video with screen shots is very very informative abt Ruttie and Jinnah..

All said this particular part of Mr. Jinnah's life remains a tragedy. And something that he never quite overcame.

Both Ruttanbai and Jinnah were very different from each other. He, the perfectly ordered and focussed mind possessed with intellect; while She was the eternally free blithe spirit. I do think that he knew and understood the differences and hoped that it would complement his own personality; maybe that would explain the attraction between them. But the differences overcame them eventually. To my mind, the rough and tumble of politics as well as the turbulence of the freedom movement cast its shadow on their relationship. If Jinnah had continued to remain just a very successful lawyer, they might have remained together.

But then, the history of the Indian Sub-Continent may have been different.

All said this particular part of Mr. Jinnah's life remains a tragedy. And something that he never quite overcame.

Both Ruttanbai and Jinnah were very different from each other. He, the perfectly ordered and focussed mind possessed with intellect; while She was the eternally free blithe spirit. I do think that he knew and understood the differences and hoped that it would complement his own personality; maybe that would explain the attraction between them. But the differences overcame them eventually. To my mind, the rough and tumble of politics as well as the turbulence of the freedom movement cast its shadow on their relationship. If Jinnah had continued to remain just a very successful lawyer, they might have remained together.

But then, the history of the Indian Sub-Continent may have been different.

You are right to an extent.. The book which I read, mentions tht they had beautiful, early years of their marriage.. Both were extremely happy, a perfect fairy tale, as u would call..After having read the book, i think the major reason, which I could gather for their separataion was the fact tht he got too involved in politics .e kept getting busier and busier in his politics.. Infact like a good wife, she used to enthusiastically participate in discussions with him over politics and attend political gatherings and ceremonies with him..but later, as he kept getting busier, obviously couldnt give her much time.. Naturally she felt lonely, and also she was too young.. But I liked the fact tht both respected each other till the very end and even loved each other.. Just tht they couldnt live together, coz she felt lonely... I can understand Ruttie here as well.. I think, such leaders,who are too driven by their mission, cant have a successful married life.. You got to sacrifice one thing or the other..either politics, your aim, or your family life..Such Politics takes out everything from you.....A sad fact... A recent example being Imran Khan...Anyways, as I said, both Jinnah and Ruttie loved each other... Jinnah was a very reserved personality, who would never express his emotions in public.. The only time he broke down in public was her death, where he couldnt control himself...So this shows a lot abt how he still felt for her...I wouldnt say tht it was only attraction between both of them, but they both genuinely loved each other, but circumstances became such, tht they couldnt live with each other..
Thts the reason, I have immense respect for him, as a Pakistani, bcoz he literally gave up everything for his politics/his mission...He had to sacrifice his love/marriage, then also his own life, in a sense, he got TB, but could never take care of himself, coz of his immense busy schedule....so he gave up just everything he had...

in today's scenario, if you become busy in your work Your GF will become frustrated and will fight with you like hell as you dont give her attention and time. Same case were with Mr. And Mrs.Jinnah

Back
Top Bottom