What's new

To vitamin or to not?

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Well, I have been reading a few articles regarding vitamins recently...

Do we actually need extra vitamin supplements? Or is what is in our food enough?

What do you guys know and think?

What Harm Can Vitamins Do? Studies Find a Few
816c345c4308e5d217bf1e2a31263913._.jpg

Vitamin supplements may do more harm than good in some cases, two studies show.(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

October 11, 2011 Two studies published this week add to a growing body of evidence that some supplements sold to improve health may in fact be killers.

On Tuesday, researchers reported that men who took fairly moderate doses of vitamin E -- 400 international units a day -- had more prostate cancers than men who took a placebo. And a Finnish study published on Monday found that older women who took dietary supplements, including multivitamins, folic acid, iron and copper, appeared to be more likely to die early than women who didn’t.

Supplement makers have long argued that their products cannot hurt, and that they likely boost health. The Council for Responsible Nutrition, a lobby group for supplement makers, says 150 million Americans take supplements.

Vitamin companies battled for years with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration over regulation and finally triumphed in 1994 with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, which Congress has renewed ever since. It makes the manufacturers -- not the FDA -- responsible for the safety of their products. That means these products are not subject to FDA review.

For the prostate cancer study, researchers reviewed data from a big study in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada called SELECT, and found that for every group of 1,000 men, 76 of those given vitamin E supplements got prostate cancer over seven years, compared to 65 similar men who were given a placebo. That’s a 17 percent rise in the risk of prostate cancer over seven years, they reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

"Based on these results and the results of large cardiovascular studies using vitamin E, there is no reason for men in the general population to take the dose of vitamin E used in SELECT as the supplements have shown no benefit and some very real risks," Dr. Eric Klein, a physician at the Cleveland Clinic who worked on the study, said in a statement.

The SELECT study was begun in 2001 after a Finnish study found in 1998 that male smokers who took vitamin E had a lower prostate cancer risk.

"SELECT has definitively shown a lack of benefit from vitamin E and selenium supplements in the prevention of prostate cancer and has shown there is the potential for harm," said Dr. Lori Minasian, acting director of NCI's Division of Cancer Prevention, who also worked on the study. "Nevertheless, this type of research has been critically important to understanding the potential benefits and risks from supplements."

In the study involving women, Jaakko Mursu of the University of Eastern Finland and the University of Minnesota and colleagues used data collected during the Iowa Women's Health Study from 38,772 women, whose average age was about 62. More than 62 percent of the women said they took some kind of supplement daily in 1986, but this rose to more than 85 percent in 2004.

Most supplements did little to help these women live any longer than women who didn’t take them, and some appeared to raise the risk of death, Mursu’s team reported.

Multivitamins, vitamin B6, folic acid, iron, magnesium, zinc, and copper were all associated with increased risk of death, while calcium supplements seemed to lower it.

"Based on existing evidence, we see little justification for the general and widespread use of dietary supplements," the researchers wrote in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

The Council for Responsible Nutrition said Mursu’s study was “a hunt for harm.” It did not denounce the prostate study. “Men shouldn’t rush to judgment about vitamin E based on this study, but instead should consider the body of evidence, the amount being taken, and their individual medical history,” said the group’s Duffy MacKay.

What Harm Can Vitamins Do? Studies Find a Few - NationalJournal.com

Vitamins and Supplements May Lead to Earlier Death
Karen Rowan, MyHealthNewsDaily Managing Editor | March 12, 2012

8b6bea910f9ef17ff0889cc6738f8f9b.jpg

People taking vitamins or supplements are more likely to die over a given period than people not taking them, a new study from Finland says, adding weight to recent findings from the U.S. along those lines.

In the new study, researchers gathered data on nearly 1,800 people between the ages of 62 and 74 who were participating in a prospective, population health study of the residents of one town in Finland.

Over a 10-year period, 59 of the 221 people (26.6 percent) taking a vitamin or supplement died, whereas 281 of the 1,553 people (18.1 percent) of the nonusers died.

After the researchers took into account other factors that can affect a person's risk of dying — such as age, gender and smoking — they found that people taking vitamins or supplements were 50 to 70 percent more likely to die over the course of the study than those not taking them, said study researcher Dr. Tomi-Pekka Tuomainen, of the University of Eastern Finland.

The findings are in line with a recent study from University of Minnesota researchers, who looked at 38,000 women who were around age 62 at the study's start, and found a slight increase in mortality among those taking vitamins or supplements. They found, for example, that 40.8 percent of 13,000 women taking a daily multivitamin died over the 19-year study, whereas 39.8 percent of the 10,000 women who hadn't taken a daily multivitamin had died.

Both studies showed an association, not a cause-and-effect link.

The Minnesota study had prompted ideas that supplement users were a "self -selected" group, Tuomainen told MyHealthNewsDaily. It could be that people who take supplements tend to have more health problems than nonusers to start with, or are more likely than nonusers to have close relatives with health problems (which could mean they are at greater risk for developing later problems themselves).

But the new study suggests that those hypotheses may not explain the increased death risk, Tuomainen said. He and his co-authors adjusted their analysis to account for people who reported pre-existing diseases and a family history of the "major killer" diseases, he said.

The adjustment brought down the increased risk of dying seen among the supplement users, but did not make it disappear, he said.

Part of the reason behind the link may be that taking vitamins or supplements that include more iron or copper than the body needs are harmful for health, Tuomainen said. These metals are pro-oxidants, and may trigger the type of stress in the body (oxidative stress) that is associated with chronic diseases, though more work is needed to show this.

The findings are published today (March 12) in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine.

Vitamins and Supplements May Lead to Earlier Death | Benefits & Risks of Vitamins & Supplements

Water soluable vitamins in excess dont cause harm as they are excreted in the urine however fat soluable vitamins in excess means trouble. You can almost never get ur daily requirements met by eating normal daily food. Always take a multi vitamin daily

Water soluable vitamins in excess dont cause harm as they are excreted in the urine however fat soluable vitamins in excess means trouble. You can almost never get ur daily requirements met by eating normal daily food. Always take a multi vitamin daily
You do know multi vitamins come with mixture of water and fat solubles...daily would just push you to death, no?

You do know multi vitamins come with mixture of water and fat solubles...daily would just push you to death, no?
Dont take those which have 100% daily requirements in one tablet, go for like 25-33%. Yeah and dont go for supra physiological doses plz

Dont take those which have 100% daily requirements in one tablet, go for like 25-33%. Yeah and dont go for supra physiological doses plz
I dont even know what is the normal and low dose so how would I know what is high?
I just bought this water soluble tablets...gonna just take one in a week....just to be safe.... :p:

I dont even know what is the normal and low dose so how would I know what is high?
I just bought this water soluble tablets...gonna just take one in a week....just to be safe.... :p:
Hehe dont worry they are pretty safe, look at the back of the bottle they will have daily requirement met pet serving in percentage. Usually most have fat soluable vitamins in the 25-30% range

Hehe dont worry they are pretty safe, look at the back of the bottle they will have daily requirement met pet serving in percentage. Usually most have fat soluable vitamins in the 25-30% range
Ok thats useful what abt these "studies" ...are they wrong?

I mean I know in Scandanavia almost everyone takes supplements they have been told by health dept or something (cant remember what that lady told me)...coz they dont get enough sunlight....makes them fatigue....though I am brown and might just absorb better than them............

Ok thats useful what abt these "studies" ...are they wrong?

I mean I know in Scandanavia almost everyone takes supplements they have been told by health dept or something (cant remember what that lady told me)...coz they dont get enough sunlight....makes them fatigue....though I am brown and might just absorb better than them............
I take them because i cant cook even if my life depended on it, and since i have a very busy schedule i eat whatever i can lay my hands on. So my daily intake is very skewed. I never took them in india, since i always ate home cooked food :p:

I take them because i cant cook even if my life depended on it, and since i have a very busy schedule i eat whatever i can lay my hands on. So my daily intake is very skewed. I never took them in india, since i always ate home cooked food :p:
Oh I cook...I dont eat out...always a prob with Halal and not to forget to mention all that bland food :sick: its like putting goo in yourself....

Oh I cook...I dont eat out...always a prob with Halal ...

Oh my God...

Singapore has 15% Malay Muslims beside Tamil Muslims.
Hawker places in SG are rife with such food.
Halal food is available in SG in plenty!
I wonder if you are fake Singaporean flag?
Lol

I have been 5 times to Singapore...

vit ADEK s' amount should be monitored particularly if you are taking some extra of these for skin/hair. Generally the dose / day is 3tabs of most of the multi vitamin brands at gnc store-- take one tab for getting a comprehensive list of vitamins -- then you can add selective vitamins for nerves/ hair/ nailes etc without going overboard.

Minerals are also important. theragran ultra touches all the vitamins/minerals but in low amounts. centrum or some vitamins like mega-men from gnc can be used.

Again, if you have cramps, muscular pains, you can up the dose of sodium, potasium,calcium, manganese, magncicium

If you go to the gym, and put stress of bones/ joints .. gnc's triflex is one of the top3 supplements for joints/ligaments etc -- supplement it with calcium from a good company otherwise its just chalk. -- liquid calcium-manesium supplement is also present ------- again find the tabs which need 3tablets/single dose.. so that you can control the daily dose you put in your body

taking whey particularly the one obtained from milk and containing both isolates/concentrates gives a comprehensive amino acids and you wont need to take seperate branched chain a.a etc . eg whey gol standard

EFAs are very important particularly if you dont take fish weekly, take fish oil daily

There is no credible study proving oral [not injection] glutathione whitens skin

iron/copper shouldnt be taken more than needed - its also stored in body

Last edited:
vit ADEK s' amount should be monitored particularly if you are taking some extra of these for skin/hair. Generally the dose / day is 3tabs of most of the multi vitamin brands at gnc store-- take one tab for getting a comprehensive list of vitamins -- then you can add selective vitamins for nerves/ hair/ nailes etc without going overboard.

Minerals are also important. theragran ultra touches all the vitamins/minerals but in low amounts. centrum or some vitamins like mega-men from gnc can be used.

Again, if you have cramps, muscular pains, you can up the dose of sodium, potasium,calcium, manganese, magncicium

If you go to the gym, and put stress of bones/ joints .. gnc's triflex is one of the top3 supplements for joints/ligaments etc -- supplement it with calcium from a good company otherwise its just chalk. -- liquid calcium-manesium supplement is also present ------- again find the tabs which need 3tablets/single dose.. so that you can control the daily dose you put in your body

taking whey particularly the one obtained from milk and containing both isolates/concentrates gives a comprehensive amino acids and you wont need to take seperate branched chain a.a etc . eg whey gol standard

EFAs are very important particularly if you dont take fish weekly, take fish oil daily

There is no credible study proving oral [not injection] glutathione whitens skin

iron/copper shouldnt be taken more than needed - its also stored in body
Ahh yes that is what I wanted to buy....used to take some as a kid but never regular ...so it does feel awkward when people pop pills in themselves :unsure:

Ok finally managed to use google translate to translate what the catalog online says:

Ingredients
Citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, mannitol, sorbitol, vitamins, orange and lemon flavoring, sweetener (sodium saccharinate), coloring (beta carotene), magnesium stearate veg. sweetener. Excessive consumption may have a laxative effect.

Nutrition Per tablet
Vitamin A800 ľg
Vitamin D5.0 ľg
Vitamin E9.0 mg
Vitamin C60 mg
Thiamine1.3 mg
Riboflavin1.5 mg
Niacin17 mg
Vitamin B61.4 mg
Folic acid300 micrograms
Vitamin B122.0 ľg

Back