What's new

Tipping 25,000 Rupees To Waiters

Once I was accompanied with traders/shopkeepers in my city and a poor man came and begged for money saying he is not a beggar but he doesn’t have money to feed his children and if someone could help him buy food for his family and he will repay when he has the money. Mostly people give Dua and ask them to leave but one of the trader used very harsh language to him saying these are tactics used by you people and go away. I didn’t like the way he spoke but I stayed quiet as I was probably the youngest among them… after 5 minutes I went to find him on my bike as my guess was that he must be on the same road and upon finding him… I said because you are not a beggar as you claimed… I am giving you 1000 rupees which I hope you will return when you have the money… you know where I was sitting so come and give it back to me when you have it… he cried so much after receiving the money that it pierced my heart…

After a month or so… he came back and returned 1000 rupee… moral of the story is… sometime people are truly in need and we should not discard them assuming beggars tactics

I was living in Hong Kong in early 90s.
Engaged in Guangzhou and paid very well but apartment and wife in Hongkong that I come back for weekends as Guangzhou in early 90 was not an attractive place to live in.

In winter of 92, I was walking with my wife back to our apartment late at night, I saw an elderly lady wearing thin dress and with a collection of drink cans she was gathering.

It was very chilly that night .

I thought I give her something to cheer her up. I took out a HK$500 note. A good road side meal will cost HK$20 then.
I gave her that and spoke to her in Cantonese a little something for you.

She looked at what I gave her in surprise that turned into shock and revulsion.
She shouted she was not a beggar and needed nothing from anyone and dropped that note on the floor and walked quickly away with her bag of drink cans.

If my memory is correct I was somewhere in Lahore in 2014 and I saw a child begging on the street outside a restaurant… I felt so sorry for him and I ended up giving him 500 or 1000 rupees I don’t remember now.. after 2 minutes I saw the same child pointing towards me and enters 5-10 beggars all at once coming on my table and asking for money… I told them that I gave your share of money to that child who directed you all to me…

I felt so sorry for the child so out of love I decided to help him and upon this act I felt so disgusted.

Now I feel … end of the day they were all beggars and it wouldn’t have harmed me much if I gave 10-50 rupees to each of them

There are beggar mafias in Pakistan. If you were down on your luck and tried asking for money at the wrong spot in bigger cities, they would come and break your legs if you didn’t pay their tax.

No tipping in Australia. The price you see is the price you pay (it already includes the tax). Tipping is seen as a vulgar American custom that is best left over there.

Tipping is essentially the business owner shifting part of his cost to you so they can put a lower price on the menu item. In Australia, service staff get a good wage. Even fast food people make $15-22 per hour.

No tipping in Australia. The price you see is the price you pay (it already includes the tax). Tipping is seen as a vulgar American custom that is best left over there.

Tipping is essentially the business owner shifting part of his cost to you so they can put a lower price on the menu item. In Australia, service staff get a good wage. Even fast food people make $15-22 per hour.
It's the same in European countries.

Common Person

$1-2
Bucks for Pizza Delivery Guy , During pandemic it increased to $5-$7
$5-$6 to Barber during pendemic it increased to $10 as places were closed most of time
2-3% to your Waiter based on your bill when you sit and eat someone serves
$2-$5 Your Taxi or Cab on Top of your Ride Bill
$1-$2 if someone helps you carry your luggage , on top of their service charges

When you are on Group table at restaurant , everyone on
table has to pay a certain % equally 2-3% of their share

So typically the waiter or waitress is extra polite for Group Table or Company Table guests

People are fee to Tip depending on norms of their society If someone is very rich they can certainly even tip $5,000 (Movie Stars of factory owners etc.)

A Tip is a thank you gesture for great customer service, someone has done some work for you and you are very happy at the work quality

Tip & Begging are two different items

No wonder you are called The Calculator of PDF! Hahahah! Anyway, it is good to spread the wealth!

PS. If you are talking about the tips in American dollars in Pakistan then not bad? But when I go to Pakistan and try to tip by converting from Dollars to Rupees, family members have often tried to stop me, saying you will go back to America, but after raising expectations here such a Rupees 500 tip over a small order. Hahaha!

In Indonesia, we dont have tip culture

Back
Top Bottom