What's new

Timothy Geithner: China 'Very, Very Aggressive' In Stealing U.S. Technology

But China is coming out as winner here! It recognized very early that American people will sell their family for extra dollar. We destroyed our manufacturing capability, turned 50% American into working poor and now we have regrets? Too late. Now average blue collar worker is fighting for 10 dollar job and believes that is as good as it is going to get.
So does everyone else throughout history.

Jdme, you have to realize that the Chinese philosophy is " why spend years and money on developing your own tech when you can steal the information and get to print faster". this is not my opinion by a stated fact of how they see it and why they lead in economic and military espionage

This article which is almost 5 pages long is must read if you have the time. But the highlighted part shows that China considers its immigrants in other countries as spies for the motherland. It speaks in length as to how china is all about stealing both economic and military secrets, firmly believing that why spend money on R&D when you can steal secrets and get it done faster.

China’s Growing Spy Threat

Beijing fiercely denies it. Much of the world ignores it. But according to analysts and officials, the communist-controlled People’s Republic of China operates the single largest intelligence-gathering apparatus in the world—and its growing appetite for secrets has apparently become insatiable.

From economic and military espionage to keeping tabs on exiled dissidents, China’s global spying operations are rapidly expanding. And, therefore, so is the threat. Some analysts even argue the regime—which is also gobbling up such key natural resources as farmland, energy, and minerals—has an eye on dominating the world.

Estimates on the number of spies and agents employed by the communist state vary widely. According to public statements by French author and investigative journalist Roger Faligot, who has written several books about the regime’s security services, there are around two million Chinese working directly or indirectly for China’s intelligence apparatus.

Other analysts say it would be impossible to count the exact number. ‘I doubt they know themselves,’ says Richard Fisher, a senior fellow on Asian military affairs at the Washington-based International Assessment and Strategy Center. Regardless, the number is undoubtedly extraordinary. ‘China can rightly claim to have the world’s largest, most amorphous, but also most active intelligence sector,’ he says.

That’s partly because it operates very differently from most. ‘When you consider that China’s intelligence community views any foreign-deployed Chinese citizen, any Chinese delegation, all Chinese criminal networks, and all overseas Chinese with any tangible affinity or connection to the Motherland as a target for recruitment, then you have to find a different way to measure,’ Fisher explains. ‘This has to start with the consideration that any Chinese, especially those from China, from student to CEO, are potential active intelligence assets.’

China’s Growing Spy Threat | The Diplomat

Jdme, you have to realize that the Chinese philosophy is " why spend years and money on developing your own tech when you can steal the information and get to print faster". this is not my opinion by a stated fact of how they see it and why they lead in economic and military espionage

It is not a winning strategy. If US falters, what then?

It is not a winning strategy. If US falters, what then?

They don’t start production themselves? I mean they steal proven tech and the unproven ones - they just wait till it matures before trying it themselves or simply have a go at it themselves-- way cheaper that using their stock to come up with ingenuity. Think about if India did this--part of a reason India does not because unlike Chinese, India gets access to tech way more advanced.

cut copy paste in short "ccp"

I feel from today Americans should start relying on their own industry n stop depending on chineese industries to prodcues good..

Manufacture in USA,Sell in USA, people will get jobs...economy will become stable again..

They don’t start production themselves? I mean they steal proven tech and the unproven ones - they just wait till it matures before trying it themselves or simply have a go at it themselves-- way cheaper that using their stock to come up with ingenuity. Think about if India did this--part of a reason India does not because unlike Chinese, India gets access to tech way more advanced.

has there been even one court case where a Chinese company was convicted of technology theft?

last time a US company tried to sue, it was countersued, found guilty, and forced to pay 200 million dollars in fines :lol:

Motorola Drops Trade Secrets Case, Agrees to Pay Huawei for IP

Sorry...But there is no direct correlation between the two acts: Investments and Theft. The former is a legitimate business strategic consideration. The latter is considered immoral by any society throughout history.

No relationshiop between Investments and Theft? Fool's joke again! Economically stealing the 3rd world is morally accepted in Western standards.

The Insider

Joseph Stiglitz / The New Republic 17apr00

JOSEPH STIGLITZ is professor of economics at Stanford University (on leave) and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. From 1997 to 2000, he was chief economist and vice president of the World Bank. He served on the president's Council of Economic Advisers from 1993 to 1997.

The global economic crisis began in Thailand, on July 2, 1997. The countries of East Asia were coming off a miraculous three decades: incomes had soared, health had improved, poverty had fallen dramatically. Not only was literacy now universal, but, on international science and math tests, many of these countries outperformed the United States. Some had not suffered a single year of recession in 30 years.

But the seeds of calamity had already been planted. In the early '90s, East Asian countries had liberalized their financial and capital markets—not because they needed to attract more funds (savings rates were already 30 percent or more) but because of international pressure, including some from the U.S. Treasury Department. These changes provoked a flood of short-term capital—that is, the kind of capital that looks for the highest return in the next day, week, or month, as opposed to long-term investment in things like factories. In Thailand, this short-term capital helped fuel an unsustainable real estate boom. And, as people around the world (including Americans) have painfully learned, every real estate bubble eventually bursts, often with disastrous consequences. Just as suddenly as capital flowed in, it flowed out. And, when everybody tries to pull their money out at the same time, it causes an economic problem. A big economic problem.

The last set of financial crises had occurred in Latin America in the 1980s, when bloated public deficits and loose monetary policies led to runaway inflation. There, the IMF had correctly imposed fiscal austerity (balanced budgets) and tighter monetary policies, demanding that governments pursue those policies as a precondition for receiving aid. So, in 1997 the IMF imposed the same demands on Thailand. Austerity, the fund's leaders said, would restore confidence in the Thai economy. As the crisis spread to other East Asian nations—and even as evidence of the policy's failure mounted—the IMF barely blinked, delivering the same medicine to each ailing nation that showed up on its doorstep.

I thought this was a mistake. For one thing, unlike the Latin American nations, the East Asian countries were already running budget surpluses. In Thailand, the government was running such large surpluses that it was actually starving the economy of much-needed investments in education and infrastructure, both essential to economic growth. And the East Asian nations already had tight monetary policies, as well: inflation was low and falling. (In South Korea, for example, inflation stood at a very respectable four percent.) The problem was not imprudent government, as in Latin America; the problem was an imprudent private sector—all those bankers and borrowers, for instance, who'd gambled on the real estate bubble.

It's not fair to say that IMF economists don't care about the citizens of developing nations. But the older men who staff the fund—and they are overwhelmingly older men—act as if they are shouldering Rudyard Kipling's white man's burden. IMF experts believe they are brighter, more educated, and less politically motivated than the economists in the countries they visit. In fact, the economic leaders from those countries are pretty good—in many cases brighter or better-educated than the IMF staff, which frequently consists of third-rank students from first-rate universities. (Trust me: I've taught at Oxford University, MIT, Stanford University, Yale University, and Princeton University, and the IMF almost never succeeded in recruiting any of the best students.) Last summer, I gave a seminar in China on competition policy in telecommunications. At least three Chinese economists in the audience asked questions as sophisticated as the best minds in the West would have asked.

What I Learned at the World Economic Crisis. The Insider Joseph Stiglitz / The New Republic 17apr00

Joseph Stiglitz is also a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (2001).

This is a long article. Read on to feel how so called "investments" are politically motivated and economically a fact of stealing!

BTW, I love this type of Jews!

No relationshiop between Investments and Theft? Fool's joke again! Economically stealing the 3rd world is morally accepted in Western standards.
So China is stealing...errr...I mean 'investing' in Africa today? Guess we know who China thinks are the fools over in that part of the world, eh?

has there been even one court case where a Chinese company was convicted of technology theft?

last time a US company tried to sue, it was countersued, found guilty, and forced to pay 200 million dollars in fines :lol:

Firstly given you tender age (you fessed up) I will keep in mind to not take you seriously much of the time anymore. I like your spunk but despise your many racist postings here. Now- are you telling us the American companies will get any justice in your courts? Secondly, we are talking about stealing tech through spying...a govt mandated function. Lastly, you have to have a suspension of belief when 99.999999% of the world and companies outside of China say that you guys counterfeit technology

You mean like these...

Data theft case may test US, China ties - Boston.com
Major US corporations, such as Microsoft Corp., Motorola Inc., and Cisco Systems Inc., have pursued cases against Chinese companies over intellectual property, winning court judgments or settlements to regain control of their technologies, according to news reports.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Firstly given you tender age (you fessed up) I will keep in mind to not take you seriously much of the time anymore. I like your spunk but despise your many racist postings here. Now- are you telling us the American companies will get any justice in your courts? Secondly, we are talking about stealing tech through spying...a govt mandated function. Lastly, you have to have a suspension of belief when 99.999999% of the world and companies outside of China say that you guys counterfeit technology
You got that right...

BBC News - German firms fear China technology theft
"We gave them our description of the product we wanted - all the photographs, everything we used in order to to sell it over here in Germany" he says, recalling how a company he was involved with started making components in China.

"We asked them to manufacture it. They did that, but after half a year very, proudly they came back to us and showed us their own product, which they intended to sell in Germany.

"And it was a copy-cat of what we did, so they copied all our material. They took our photographs. They took our descriptions. Everything."

Firstly give a bit of spacing to your sentences.

Secondly disputes between international companies are settled in international courts.

Thirdly it matters little what people say.What happens in reality is that Western companies have tried to sue Chinese companies for IP theft in Western courts and have failed. Instead they get counter sued and pay the Chinese company money for IP theft.

Firstly give a bit of spacing to your sentences.

Secondly disputes between international companies are settled in international courts.

Thirdly it matters little what people say.What happens in reality is that Western companies have tried to sue Chinese companies for IP theft in Western courts and have failed. Instead they get counter sued and pay the Chinese company money for IP theft.
This is the reality...

China Forcing Technology Transfer | Economy In Crisis
He Huawu, chief engineer at the Ministry of Railways in China, did confirm that China’s trains are based on foreign technology, and greatly modified by Chinese engineers. He pretend though that the transfer of technology was not forced.

Under the assistance of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), Peter Navarro authored the book “Manufacturing a Better Future for America” which deals with current challenges facing the Unites States’ manufacturing sector. In the chapter entitled “Benchmarking Foreign Advantages”, Navarro investigates the issue of forced technology transfers in Chinese contract negotiations.

“One of the most potent weapons China has used to move up the value chain is forced technology transfer,” writes Navarro. “It is only through the acquisition (rather than internal development) of sophisticated technologies that Chinese companies have been able to rapidly enter and expand in sophisticated industries such as automobiles, aircraft, pharmaceuticals and other high-tech areas.”

Back
Top Bottom