What's new

Tillerson calls for regime change in Iran

With all due respects to Iranis. They should limit the powers of Supreme Leader. Limit him to a ceremonious role like Emperor of Japan and Queen of England. And Vest all Powers to President and Parliament. And remove the Rules of Mullahs choosing which candidates can contest in elections and which cannot. Instead give this power to legal body formed under Supreme court or something on Basis of Qualifications not preferences.
And everybody will be happy with Iran

I can not understand the relation btw the powers of Supreme Leader and American policy of regime change .. many countries (actually no country except Iran) don't have Supreme Leader as we do but they've been subject of military coup or other type of American meddling in their internal affairs for example American military coup in Iran back in 1953 ,there was no supreme leader back then:

STEPHEN KINZER: This was a hugely important episode, and looking at it from the prospective of history, we can see that it really shaped a lot of the 50 years that have followed since then in the Middle East and beyond. But yet, it’s an episode that most Americans don’t even know happened. As I was writing my book, I had the sense that I was dredging up an incident that had been largely forgotten. During my work, I realized early on that Mossadegh, the prime minister of Iran, had been the Man of the Year for Time magazine in 1951. And after I realized that, I went to some trouble and I finally located a copy of that Time magazine. And I framed it, and I have it up on my wall. And it gave me the feeling that, not only am I digging up this episode again, but I’m bringing back to life this figure of Mossadegh. He was really a huge figure in the world of mid-century. This was a time, bear in mind, before the voice of the Third World, as we now call it, had ever really been raised in world councils. This was a time before Castro, before Nkrumah, before Sukharno, before Nasser. Mossadegh actually showing up in New York and laying out Iran’s case and by extension the case of poor nations against rich nations was something very, very new for the whole world. And what a figure he was. This book is full of amazing characters. Not just Kermit Roosevelt, the guy who planned the coup. But Mossaugh—tall, sophisticated, European-educated aristocrat—but also highly emotional, a guy who would start sobbing and sometimes even faint dead away in Parliament when giving speeches about the suffering of the Iranian people. When he embraced the national cause of that period, which was the nationalization of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, he set himself on a collision course with the great powers in the world. And that collision has produced effects which we’re still living with today.

As far as I know Queen of England ain't a symbolic position and base on constitution cabinet should be approved by her, wars must be initiated by her or the fact that she is immune from prosecution ...
When the British government declares war, or regulates the civil service, or signs a treaty, it is doing so only on her authority.
She is the only person in the United Kingdom who doesn't legally need a license to drive or a number plate on her cars, according to Time. :lol:
The Queen's consent is necessary to turn any bill into an actual law. Once a proposed law has passed both houses of Parliament, it makes its way to the Palace for approval, which is called "Royal Assent."
All information about the royal family is exempt from Freedom of Information requests.
Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Church of England, Britain's state religion first established after King Henry VIII split away from the Catholic Church in Rome in the 16th century.

I can not understand the relation btw the powers of Supreme Leader and American policy of regime change .. many countries (actually no country except Iran) don't have Supreme Leader as we do but they've been subject of military coup or other type of American meddling in their internal affairs for example American military coup in Iran back in 1953 ,there was no supreme leader back then:

STEPHEN KINZER: This was a hugely important episode, and looking at it from the prospective of history, we can see that it really shaped a lot of the 50 years that have followed since then in the Middle East and beyond. But yet, it’s an episode that most Americans don’t even know happened. As I was writing my book, I had the sense that I was dredging up an incident that had been largely forgotten. During my work, I realized early on that Mossadegh, the prime minister of Iran, had been the Man of the Year for Time magazine in 1951. And after I realized that, I went to some trouble and I finally located a copy of that Time magazine. And I framed it, and I have it up on my wall. And it gave me the feeling that, not only am I digging up this episode again, but I’m bringing back to life this figure of Mossadegh. He was really a huge figure in the world of mid-century. This was a time, bear in mind, before the voice of the Third World, as we now call it, had ever really been raised in world councils. This was a time before Castro, before Nkrumah, before Sukharno, before Nasser. Mossadegh actually showing up in New York and laying out Iran’s case and by extension the case of poor nations against rich nations was something very, very new for the whole world. And what a figure he was. This book is full of amazing characters. Not just Kermit Roosevelt, the guy who planned the coup. But Mossaugh—tall, sophisticated, European-educated aristocrat—but also highly emotional, a guy who would start sobbing and sometimes even faint dead away in Parliament when giving speeches about the suffering of the Iranian people. When he embraced the national cause of that period, which was the nationalization of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, he set himself on a collision course with the great powers in the world. And that collision has produced effects which we’re still living with today.

As far as I know Queen of England ain't a symbolic position and base on constitution cabinet should be approved by her, wars must be initiated by her or the fact that she is immune from prosecution ...
When the British government declares war, or regulates the civil service, or signs a treaty, it is doing so only on her authority.
She is the only person in the United Kingdom who doesn't legally need a license to drive or a number plate on her cars, according to Time. :lol:
The Queen's consent is necessary to turn any bill into an actual law. Once a proposed law has passed both houses of Parliament, it makes its way to the Palace for approval, which is called "Royal Assent."
All information about the royal family is exempt from Freedom of Information requests.
Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Church of England, Britain's state religion first established after King Henry VIII split away from the Catholic Church in Rome in the 16th century.
Salam
Thanks for a comprehensive reply Brother.
Reza Shah (Father of Muhammad Reza Shah) was ruler of Iran from 1921 coup when Qajar Dynasty was overthrown and he was declared shah of Iran by the Majlis itself.
Shah Discouraged the colonial British and the Bolshevics of Sovient union from Iran and Welcomed Germany to invest in Irani Industry.
Iran was Invaded by Allied forces of Britain France and Soviet Union and Shah was deposed. His son Muhammad Reza remained the monarch ruler and many PMs came and went. Mussadiq was just on of the PMs who was removed by the monarch installing a new one. And it kept on till 1979 when Reza shah was replaced by an Almighty Supreme Leader Khomeini who was only replaced on his death by Ali Khamnei who will also be replaced at his death.
Iran have been like this for more then a century.
Vest Powers with Parliament and Elected Prime Minister Not Some Shah, Raja or Supreme Leader. These long lasting unelected figures are good only as a symbol of national unity and not as a position of Power.
Just like we and India have a President, China have a Premier, Japan have an Emperor, I would not comment on UK as it will derail the the main topic.
Power should be in hand of those who are elected by people.

Salam
Thanks for a comprehensive reply Brother.
Reza Shah (Father of Muhammad Reza Shah) was ruler of Iran from 1921 coup when Qajar Dynasty was overthrown and he was declared shah of Iran by the Majlis itself.
Shah Discouraged the colonial British and the Bolshevics of Sovient union from Iran and Welcomed Germany to invest in Irani Industry.
Iran was Invaded by Allied forces of Britain France and Soviet Union and Shah was deposed. His son Muhammad Reza remained the monarch ruler and many PMs came and went. Mussadiq was just on of the PMs who was removed by the monarch installing a new one. And it kept on till 1979 when Reza shah was replaced by an Almighty Supreme Leader Khomeini who was only replaced on his death by Ali Khamnei who will also be replaced at his death.
Iran have been like this for more then a century.
Vest Powers with Parliament and Elected Prime Minister Not Some Shah, Raja or Supreme Leader. These long lasting unelected figures are good only as a symbol of national unity and not as a position of Power.
Just like we and India have a President, China have a Premier, Japan have an Emperor, I would not comment on UK as it will derail the the main topic.
Power should be in hand of those who are elected by people.
Still I can not get how having supreme leader "democratic or dictatorship" is connected to the topic which is American policy of regime change in other countries in this context "Iran" , as I said other side cares about values like democracy or human right as far as they serve their interests otherwise they are number one dictators of all ages .... and unlike Chinese Premier or Japaneses Emperor Iran supreme leader ain't a lifetime position and his behavior is observed and monitor through council of expert whom directly are chosen by people and if the so-called leader is no longer qualified or fit into this position he would be removed ..

.... and unlike Chinese Premier or Japaneses Emperor Iran supreme leader ain't a lifetime position and his behavior is observed and monitor through council of expert whom directly are chosen by people and if the so-called leader is no longer qualified or fit into this position he would be removed ..

Small correction, the Chinese leader can only stay in power for two 5-year terms (10 years maximum).

Xi Jinping took over from Hu Jintao in 2013. And Hu Jintao took over from Jiang Zemin in 2003.

Rouhani has no any power in Iran. Iran is ruled by Khamenai and Assembly of experts. President and Parliament are just bunch of clowns for show.
Then why people voted him? if people thought that the election and president have no word in Iran policy they wouldn't vote him in first place ....

Regime change is already underway for Trump regime (ongoing investigation), Tillerson forgot to mention that.
"Iran regime change" is flopped 40 years old US project, never seen light of the day. Besides, US "regime change" game chiefly orchestrate by its central spook agency challenged and failed almost everywhere; in Syria, in Turkey and latest in Qatar. "Regime change" game has become an old school tool and will not see as much success as it was in the past.

Iran shouldn't be disturbed ! They are doing well for themselves ! The arabs I might say needs some change !

Then why people voted him? if people thought that the election and president have no word in Iran policy they wouldn't vote him in first place ....
Thats the purpose of this charade: let people vote, let them think that they decide something.

Also all president candidatures must be approved by Assembly of Experts.

Still I can not get how having supreme leader "democratic or dictatorship" is connected to the topic which is American policy of regime change in other countries in this context "Iran" , as I said other side cares about values like democracy or human right as far as they serve their interests otherwise they are number one dictators of all ages .... and unlike Chinese Premier or Japaneses Emperor Iran supreme leader ain't a lifetime position and his behavior is observed and monitor through council of expert whom directly are chosen by people and if the so-called leader is no longer qualified or fit into this position he would be removed ..
Who cares what uncle Sam does or says i am giving my 2 cents for Iran Mate.
But he have been there for 28 years no change in Supreme leader except death from the inception of this office in 1979. Just like previous offices of Shah of Iran

Small correction, the Chinese leader can only stay in power for two 5-year terms (10 years maximum).

Xi Jinping took over from Hu Jintao in 2013. And Hu Jintao took over from Jiang Zemin in 2003.
Bro we are talking about Premier of china not president of China.
That is Le KeQiang and previously Wen Jiabao.

Although Premier is also not permanent in PRC as well.

Thats the purpose of this charade: let people vote, let them think that they decide something.

Also all president candidatures must be approved by Assembly of Experts.

You understand this charade in Iran but ignore it in places like Egypt.

1*lgIDBOsFuJ5I-yISenBvuQ.jpeg

The new U.S. policy towards Iran includes regime change, according to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

Tillerson was asked on Wednesday whether the United States supports regime change inside Iran. He replied in the affirmative, saying that U.S. policy is driven by relying on “elements inside of Iran” to bring about “peaceful transition of that government.”

He made the comments in a hearing on the 2018 State Department budget before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX) asked Tillerson about U.S. policy towards Iran, including whether the U.S. government would sanction the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and whether the U.S. supported “a philosophy of regime change.”

“They are doing bad things throughout the world, on behalf of terrorism and destroying human rights of many people,” Poe said, referring to the IRGC. “I’d like to know what the policy is of the U.S. toward Iran. Do we support the current regime? Do we support a philosophy of regime change, peaceful regime change? There are Iranians in exile all over the world. Some are here. And then there’s Iranians in Iran who don’t support the totalitarian state. So is the U.S. position to leave things as they are or set up a peaceful long-term regime change?”

“Well our Iranian policy is under development,” Tillerson replied. “It’s not yet been delivered to the president, but I would tell you that we certainly recognize Iran’s continued destabilizing presence in the region, their payment of foreign fighters, their export of militia forces in Syria, in Iraq, in Yemen, their support for Hezbollah. And we are taking action to respond to Iran’s hegemony. Additional sanctions actions have been put in place against individuals and others.”

“We continually review the merits both from the standpoint of diplomatic but also international consequences of designating the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in its entirety as a terrorist organization,” he added. “As you know, we have designated the Quds [Force]. Our policy towards Iran is to push back on this hegemony, contain their ability to develop obviously nuclear weapons, and to work toward support of those elements inside of Iran that would lead to a peaceful transition of that government. Those elements are there, certainly as we know.”

Trump’s foreign policy team is filled with hawks on Iran, but Tillerson is the first administration official to advocate for regime change in his official capacity.

The Iranian government was quick to condemn Tillerson’s remarks. On Thursday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi calledTillerson’s comments “interventionist, in gross violation of the compelling rules of international law, unacceptable and strongly condemned.”

“Since the 1950s, the United States tried to meddle in Iranian affairs by different strategies such as coup d’état, regime change, and military intervention.” Qassemi said, referring to U.S. involvement in the 1953 coup in Iran, dubbed Operation AJAX by the CIA. These efforts have all failed, Qassemi said, adding that the new U.S. government was “confused” and could be “easily manipulated by wrong information.”

Tillerson’s focus on nuclear weapons in his comments on Wednesday are notable, given that he has previously acknowledged that Iran is in full compliance with the Iranian nuclear agreement (as has the International Atomic Energy Agency).

Last week, Iran suffered an attack claimed by the Islamic State that killed at least 17 people and injured dozens. The White House response implied that Iran deserved the attack. “We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times,” the statement read. “We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote.”

The next day, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), a vocal Trump supporter, praised the attack in Tehran and suggested that the United States should work with the Islamic State to counter Iran.

On Thursday, the Senate passed an Iran sanctions bill, despite former Secretary of State John Kerry’s warning that new sanctions could threaten the Iranian nuclear agreement.

ThinkProgress

I still remember that many Iranians were cheering up for Trump and his campaign during the election, I'm wondering do they still like Trump?
Like that ever worked

A regime change in Iran or Saudia will be a disaster for the region

Rouhani has no any power in Iran. Iran is ruled by Khamenai and Assembly of experts. President and Parliament are just bunch of clowns for show.

I would call someone a clown who doesn't know even smallest things about internal politics of a country, yet think they are qualified to have a lecture on it.

Last edited:
Its the first time I hear assembly of expert have any ruling power.
I wonder how you managed to make such discovery ?

I would call someone a clown who doesn't know even smallest things about internal politics of a country, yet think they are qualified to have a lecture on it.
From wiki:

Unlike the executive in other countries, the President of Iran does not have full control over anything, as these are ultimately under the control of the Supreme Leader.[4][5]

The President functions as the executive of the decrees and wishes of the Supreme Leader.

the Supreme Leader who can dismiss or reinstate any of the ministers at any time, regardless of the president or parliament's decision.[17][18][19]

So called "President of Iran" is nothing but a lackey of Supreme Leader.

You understand this charade in Iran but ignore it in places like Egypt.
Egypt does not commit genocide and support terror.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom