What's new

Tiger loses fight to cow in Valparai

fallstuff

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Tiger loses fight to cow in Valparai

COIMBATORE: Tension prevailed in Valparai, a tea-growing town on the slopes of Western Ghats near Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, after a 10-year-old male tiger sneaked into a cowshed in a thickly-populated locality early Friday morning.

However, the lone cow in the shed not only resisted the tiger's attack but also severely injured the big cat. Unable to walk, the tiger was confined to the cowshed till late evening, when a veterinarian tranquilized it.

Valparai is ringed by forests including the Anamalai Tiger Reserve and frequent attacks by leopards and elephants have been reported from here in the past. However, this is the first time in recent years that a tiger had entered a homestead.

The tiger was first seen by R Gnanasekaran, a resident of Periyar Nagar locality in Valaparai, who noticed the animal in his cowshed at around 6.30am. His cow was taking on the tiger that had entered the shed expecting an easy prey. The tiger had killed a calf owned by Gnanasekaran two days ago and left the half-eaten carcass behind. Forest officials said the animal may have returned to retrieve the kill. Angry at not finding the carcass, the tiger attacked the cow, which, however, fought back. The big cat sustained gashes in its thigh and abdomen whereas the cow suffered only minor injuries.

Gnanasekaran had thought the calf was killed by a leopard, common in the area, and buried the carcass. Forest officials have since confirmed that the tiger that appeared on Friday morning had killed the calf two days earlier.

Though the tiger couldn't move, its periodic growls and snarls left the crowd that had gathered at Gnansekaran's house guessing whether the animal would attack. Forest officials led by Manampally range officer Arokiaraj Xavier and Valparai range officer Krishnaswami had a tough time controlling the rush of people to watch the tiger. At noon, they tried to trap the tiger in a net and shift it to a cage. That, however, failed.

The wait lasted until forest veterinary assistant surgeon Dr N Kalaivanan arrived from Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary in the Nilgiris by 6.30pm. Though Valaparai is prone to frequent attacks by wild animals, veterinarians with expertise in the use of tranquilizers were not available in the town or in neighbouring areas. By sunset, Kalaivanan tranquilized the tiger and the animal was shifted to a cage after treating it for the injuries. Forest officials will keep the cat in captivity in Manampally forest range office under the observation of Kalaivanan until it recovers from the injuries.

link:

Tiger loses fight to cow in Valparai - The Times of India

Oh, wait..it's an Indian Tiger...:D

The Indian/Bengal tiger is now the largest tiger in the world, because the loss of habitat in the Russian Far East, the Siberian tiger can no longer be the largest tiger without a decent prey base. :coffee:

The Indian/Bengal tiger is now the largest tiger in the world, because the loss of habitat in the Russian Far East, the Siberian tiger can no longer be the largest tiger without a decent prey base. :coffee:

So, in essence, you're saying that the Siberian Tiger will get smaller because it doesn't have a decent prey base? The Siberian Tiger is and will remain the largest tiger in the world -- unless it becomes extinct in the future. How the Bengal Tiger overtook the Siberian Tiger in size -- that part of your logic I do not understand.

So, in essence, you're saying that the Siberian Tiger will get smaller because it doesn't have a decent prey base? The Siberian Tiger is and will remain the largest tiger in the world -- unless it becomes extinct in the future. How the Bengal Tiger overtook the Siberian Tiger in size -- that part of your logic I do not understand.

For now, the Bengal tiger and the Siberian tiger are still about the same size (length X height), but the Siberian tiger usually weighs less because the lack of food.

But in the captivity, the Siberian tiger is still the king of felines. :coffee:

Leopards are more common attackers in India. even surviving in suburban regions in big metro cities.

leopard mumbai - Google Search

Leopard enters Mumbai school, captured after being lured by a hen :lol:
Subroto Sarkar 4 days ago
I think leopard population understood that they have a basic right to be educated. So he came to attend the school. But poor thing after seeing the discrimination quietly walked back to the cage meant to transfer him to the jungle. But must be happy that at least he is carrying a chip to show his fellows that hey see the prize I have got for attending school for a day. So we may expect more of them turning up in near future.

One time, when I was backpacking in the Australian outback, my friend and I went for an early morning stroll around our campsite. We decided to take a shortcut across a field where some cows were grazing. However, upon seeing us, some of the cows formed a defensive line facing us.

Now, as a couple of dyed-in-the-wool city dwellers, neither of us thought of cows as anything more than steak-to-be, but there was something menacing in the way they faced us and stared us down. Due to some sixth sense, we decided not to risk it and took the long way round the field...

The tiger had killed a calf owned by Gnanasekaran two days ago and left the half-eaten carcass behind. Forest officials said the animal may have returned to retrieve the kill. Angry at not finding the carcass, the tiger attacked the cow, which, however, fought back. The big cat sustained gashes in its thigh and abdomen whereas the cow suffered only minor injuries.

Moral of the story : Tiger or Liger, don't mess with an angry mom...:disagree:

Beef eating is legal in Tamil Nadu, so the tiger doesn't have legal issues to worry about !!

He can get sued for the calf though by the owner.

Actually it is not.

For now, the Bengal tiger and the Siberian tiger are still about the same size (length X height), but the Siberian tiger usually weighs less because the lack of food.

But in the captivity, the Siberian tiger is still the king of felines. :coffee:

owwpoor poor tiger, it needs to keep eating to remain the biggest tiger i guess

Back
Top Bottom