What's new

Thyssenkrupp keen to bid for P75i to build diesel submarines

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
German conglomerate Thyssenkrupp is keen to build its Type 214 submarines for the Navy under the Project 75i or P75i, which seeks to build six new-generation diesel electric submarines as and when the Defence Ministry calls in the bids.

Thyssenkrupp Group's marine systems division will be bidding for the USD8-billion project.

"We are very keen to offer our HDW Class 214 submarines for the Navy. We will be bidding for the P75i, having already delivered four non-nuclear submarines to the Navy in the late 1980s and early 1990s," ThyssenkruppIndia managing director and chief executive Ravi Kirpalani told reporters.

Kirpalani joined the regional headquarters of ThyssenkruppIndia as MD and chief executive in March 2016 after spending over 16 years at lubes major Castrol India.

While the current Scorpene class of submarines are being built at the Mazagaon Docks in Mumbai, no decision has been taken where the more advanced diesel electric submarines will be built, under the P75i project.

When asked whether his company is comfortable working with a local partner, Kirpalani said, "We will be happy to collaborate with any local partner to build the submarines," adding the bidding conditions make it mandatory.

Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems is one of the leading system providers for non-nuclear submarines and high-end naval vessels across the globe. It stands for marine competence, innovative technologies and comprehensive and reliable service.

P751 is an extension of the ongoing Project75 where the French defence major DCNS is the technology collaborator and is building six Scorpene class of submarines at the Mazagaon Docks, while the P75i, wherein 'i' stands for India, is aimed at building a new generation of more advanced class of diesel electric non-nuke submarines.

Project75 was originally conceived in the early 1990s under the 30-year submarine building programme and was cleared in 1999. The first project was the P75, under which six Scorpene submarines are being built in Mumbai with collaboration of French major DCNS.

The Project 75i was first announced in 2010 under which the winning bidder will have to enter into a tripartite agreement with one of the government-run docks, a local private partner.

Since nothing progressed, the Modi government last December expedited the move and decided to call for RFQs. It has also in June 2016 allowed 100 per cent FDI in defence production including submarine building. But the P75i is out of this.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/thyssenkrupp-keen-to-bid-for-p75i-to-build-diesel-submarines-116091800304_1.html

HDW Class 214
On the basis of the proven design principles of the HDW Class 209 family with
additional incorporation of innovative features of HDW Class 212A,
ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems developed the HDW Class 214 submarine.

It is well equipped to undertake a wide scope of missions ranging from operations in littoral waters to ocean-going patrols. The modular weapon and sensor mix, in combination with the submarine's air-independent features, makes the HDW Class 214 predestined for

• anti-surface ship and anti-submarine operations
  • intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance tasks
  • Special Forces operations.
Much of the input data for this new concept result from analysing modern naval warfare scenarios as well as information granted by friendly submarine flotillas.

The HDW Class 214 design is characterised by the following features:

• increased underwater endurance and low detection risk using the proven Fuel Cell system for air-independent propulsion
  • increased diving depth
  • low revolution, permanently excited PERMASYN® motor for maximum speed without transient switching noises
  • optimised signature management
  • sonar development within the ISUS 90 for increased low-frequency detection ranges (flank array)
  • large weapon payload for a mix of torpedoes, missiles and mines
  • integration of Torpedo Countermeasures (TCM) system.
Thanks to its modular design and high degree of automation, this submarine is a very cost-effective weapon system, extremely difficult to detect and thus the unbeatable solution for future-orientated navies.

Technical Data
LOA ~ 65 m
Pressure hull ~ 6,3 m
Surface displ. ~ 1.700 t
Height incl. sail ~ 13 m
Weapon tubes 8
Crew 27

https://www.thyssenkrupp-marinesystems.com/en/hdw-class-214.html

A South Korean class U214 submarine
Key_Resolve_-_Foal_Eagle_2008.jpg

Last edited:
German conglomerate Thyssenkrupp is keen to build its Type 214 submarines for the Navy under the Project 75i or P75i, which seeks to build six new-generation diesel electric submarines as and when the Defence Ministry calls in the bids.

Thyssenkrupp Group's marine systems division will be bidding for the USD8-billion project.

"We are very keen to offer our HDW Class 214 submarines for the Navy. We will be bidding for the P75i, having already delivered four non-nuclear submarines to the Navy in the late 1980s and early 1990s," ThyssenkruppIndia managing director and chief executive Ravi Kirpalani told reporters.

Kirpalani joined the regional headquarters of ThyssenkruppIndia as MD and chief executive in March 2016 after spending over 16 years at lubes major Castrol India.

While the current Scorpene class of submarines are being built at the Mazagaon Docks in Mumbai, no decision has been taken where the more advanced diesel electric submarines will be built, under the P75i project.

When asked whether his company is comfortable working with a local partner, Kirpalani said, "We will be happy to collaborate with any local partner to build the submarines," adding the bidding conditions make it mandatory.

Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems is one of the leading system providers for non-nuclear submarines and high-end naval vessels across the globe. It stands for marine competence, innovative technologies and comprehensive and reliable service.

P751 is an extension of the ongoing Project75 where the French defence major DCNS is the technology collaborator and is building six Scorpene class of submarines at the Mazagaon Docks, while the P75i, wherein 'i' stands for India, is aimed at building a new generation of more advanced class of diesel electric non-nuke submarines.

Project75 was originally conceived in the early 1990s under the 30-year submarine building programme and was cleared in 1999. The first project was the P75, under which six Scorpene submarines are being built in Mumbai with collaboration of French major DCNS.

The Project 75i was first announced in 2010 under which the winning bidder will have to enter into a tripartite agreement with one of the government-run docks, a local private partner.

Since nothing progressed, the Modi government last December expedited the move and decided to call for RFQs. It has also in June 2016 allowed 100 per cent FDI in defence production including submarine building. But the P75i is out of this.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/thyssenkrupp-keen-to-bid-for-p75i-to-build-diesel-submarines-116091800304_1.html

Finally Mr Kirpalani gave this sound byte bcz of this
Scorpene row won't affect building submarines with foreign support: Navy chief Sunil Lanba
By PTI | Sep 17, 2016, 05.43 PM IST

MUMBAI: The Scorpene data leak controversy won't affect the ambitious project of building submarines in the Indian dockyards with the help of foreign shipyards, Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba said today.

He was speaking to reporters after the launch of new warship Mormugao from Mumbai-based Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd.

Under Project 75 I, Indian and foreign shipyards are supposed to construct submarines in Indian dockyards. The project for building six submarines is estimated to be worth $6 billion.

"Defence ministry has decided that it (Project 75 I) is to be part of a strategic partnership, where you have an overseas technology partner. A committee formed last year has identified which Indian shipyards can participate in the building and once the ministry decides on the state partnership model, project 75 I model would move forward," he said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ETTWMain

Small note on Air Independent Propulsion used on U212/214 class boats

Fuel cell principle. Gaseous Hydrogen and Liquid oxygen is used in a fuel cell to generate power.
upload_2016-9-18_16-44-9.png

Siemens Fuel Cell Module
upload_2016-9-18_16-45-9.png

& Porous membrane in Fuel Cell
upload_2016-9-18_16-45-46.png

Power Module
upload_2016-9-18_16-46-37.png

Layout of Oxygen & Hydrogen Tanks inside Submarine
upload_2016-9-18_16-47-15.png

Oxygen Tank
upload_2016-9-18_16-47-54.png

Hydrogen Storage
upload_2016-9-18_16-48-32.png

Hydrogen and Oxygen are supplied to submarine from a supply charge tanker at port
1.PNG

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @nair @Vergennes @hellfire @Penguin

Last edited:
Another ToT laddo from a foreign country?

What we learned from ToT of Scorpene?

Definitely a class apart. Hope they will offersteady magnetic hull too as tot for our SSN or SSK programs

Non Magnetic hull ? Its pure Soft Steel, vs regular submarine grade one.

Because they needed a stealth submarine for shallow waters , they used soft steel , which has one advantage of having very low magnetic signature.

But with it , the submarine won't be able to dive much deeper.

@Penguin @PARIKRAMA Corrections or necessary details about non magnetic hull please.

On the topic , @HDW if you all don't change yourself , then the result will repeat itself.

Is HDW 214 better than Scorpene and is it wise to have subs from different countries given the variance in tech, logistical nightmare and absorbing different types of tech that goes into it.

why buy foreign mall ? give DRDO 50 year and a blank cheque ! they may come up with a submarine with 50% capabilities of U 214 !!

What will learn from P-75I?

We will learn to build submarine again. and again. :P

Exactly.

That's why I believe it might be a waste of time & money to select a new submarine under P-75I. It would be far wiser (economically & logistically) to cancel the P-75i and just procure 6 additional Scorpenes.

Exactly.

That's why I believe it might be a waste of time & money to select a new submarine under P-75I. It would be far wiser (economically & logistically) to cancel the P-75i and just procure 6 additional Scorpenes.

Better lets buy Chinese submarines. lol

This P-75I should be scrapped and money should be used in SSN project. If necessary, couple of more scorpenes should be bought.

This P-75I should be scrapped and money should be used in SSN project. If necessary, couple of more scorpenes should be bought.

Strategic value of Scorpenes has been potential compromised. Better go with french barracuda for P-75I.

Back
Top Bottom