What's new

Thief strikes VIP box at R-Day parade

gpit

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: This security lapse has left many top officers red-faced. A Japanese diplomat watching the Republic Day parade from the VIP enclosure was quietly relieved of all his valuables — contained in a small bag — by a deft thief. And this was from the most sanitized area, very close from where the President was seated.

This year's Republic Day saw the tightest security arrangements ever as the event followed an encounter in Noida in which two alleged terrorists were gunned down in the morning. About 35,000 policemen were on duty armed with spotters and sophisticated anti-aircraft guns. But not all the republic's men and horses could prevent the theft.

The bag — actually a large wallet with a strap — contained a diplomatic passport and ID card, Rs 15,000 cash, keys, credit cards and several membership cards including that of the India International Centre (IIC). The diplomat was not at all amused and filed a complaint with the police.

On the complaint of Naoki Ito, a 'minister' in the Japanese embassy, the police have registered a case. But more than 24 hours after the theft was reported from the high security area, the cops have not been able to make any headway.

The diplomat, in his complaint to police, said, ''I was sitting in section 11 of the enclosure where arrangements for VIP and VVIPs were made. The area was filled with metal detectors and it was very crowded.''

Police said that they are trying to ascertain who all were sitting around Ito when the wallet was stolen and have drawn a list of all VVIP/VIP invitees. ''The security personnel in the inner cordon will also be examined and we are also planning to run through the CCTV footage of the venue for any vital leads,'' the investigating officer added.

A senior police officer said, ''The minister has reported to us that he last saw his wallet at 9.15am. But when he checked again around 11am, shortly before the celebration was about to get over, he could not find it.'' A troubled Ito reported the matter to the security personnel after which a thorough search was conducted at the venue. But the wallet could not be found.

The incident has left authorities embarrassed and a complete probe into the theft is being sought. ''As there were a large number of VVIP and VIP guests, including heads of states, attending the all-important function, the security personnel did not allow any cop to enter the enclosure where Ito was sitting,'' said an investigating officer.

Speaking to TOI over phone from Chennai, Ito said, ''I had lodged a complaint with the Delhi Police but haven't heard anything from them yet. I had gone to watch the parade on invitation.'' Ito said he works as a minister with the political wing of the Japanese embassy in New Delhi.

Meanwhile, a case under section 379 (theft) has been registered at the Tughlaq Road police station.
Pickpocketing is one of the major organized crimes in the Capital. Last year alone, there were 5,469 cases of pickpocketing and 1,318 snatchings in the city.

Thief strikes VIP box at R-Day parade-India-The Times of India

----

Don't think the removal of JUD or other orgnizations will make India safer. No, not at all, until the Indians really reform the biggest democracy.

It may sound harsh, but is true. Seriously.

Yep. And we need advice from a Chinese about how exactly to go about reforming a democracy.

Yep. And we need advice from a Chinese about how exactly to go about reforming a democracy.

As long as it is good for India, why the Indians would mind learning from the others, regardless who the "others” are.

For the same token, China should also learn good things from others, including India.

Surely, we have different standard as to what is good and what is bad.

Of course, as an outsider, I don’t have much to care as long as I don’t plan to travel in India.

As long as it is good for India, why the Indians would mind learning from the others, regardless who the "others” are.

For the same token, China should also learn good things from others, including India.

Surely, we have different standard as to what is good and what is bad.

Of course, as an outsider, I don’t have much to care as long as I don’t plan to travel in India.

Sorry buddy. You can preach only what you practice.

What India did learn from the Chinese-setting up of SEZ's, something China uses widely, among many other things. Im not discounting that. But you learn the best qualities of the other.

In this case democratic reforms arent quite what China is good at doing is it?

Sorry buddy. You can preach only what you practice.

What India did learn from the Chinese-setting up of SEZ's, something China uses widely, among many other things. Im not discounting that. But you learn the best qualities of the other.

In this case democratic reforms arent quite what China is good at doing is it?

No sorry is needed, friend. Preaching-wise, so can you.

I’m not sure about in creating SEZ, but in other land acquisition processes in China, no question that some conducts are criminal. One of my friends has actually been arrested recently in China, pending charge of corruption in related aspect.

While India tries to mimic SEZ to develop the economy, that doesn’t mean it should include those bad activities as well. Instead, it should guard against corruptions. I’m not encouraging learning bad things from China but good ones.

I believe in a kind of democracy, but I don’t believe democracy = tolerating/nurturing theft, especially in this case a theft conducted against invited foreign dignities/guests during India national holiday celebration. And, in this particular aspect, I probably wouldn’t be able to deny that China perhaps indeed has fewer thieves than India does.

No sorry is needed, friend. Preaching-wise, so can you.

I’m not sure about in creating SEZ, but in other land acquisition processes in China, no question that some conducts are criminal. One of my friends has actually been arrested recently in China, pending charge of corruption in related aspect.

While India tries to mimic SEZ to develop the economy, that doesn’t mean it should include those bad activities as well. Instead, it should guard against corruptions. I’m not encouraging learning bad things from China but good ones.
They learnt the concept-a good concept-SEZ's. They chose to copy the land acquisition process as well. Nandigram showed what a fiasco it can become, and by and large, govt is doubly wary of forcing farmers to sell their land for SEZ's. So something good has come off the the fiasco. Incidentally, the place where this issue really heated up is West Bengal, a state governed by the Communist Party of India. The irony!

I believe in a kind of democracy, but I don’t believe democracy = tolerating/nurturing theft, especially in this case a theft conducted against invited foreign dignities/guests during India national holiday celebration. And, in this particular aspect, I probably wouldn’t be able to deny that China perhaps indeed has fewer thieves than India does.
I really dont know or frankly care to know the number of theives in either of the country's. But i certainly agree that democracy doesnt equal tolerating/nurturing theft against anyone, let alone an invited foreign dignitary/guest. But where does it imply that it was because of democracy that this incident happened? It was a theft, one that occurred because of some lapse of attention of some security person present in the booth. IF he is caught, he will be sent to prison in accordance with the laws. Where does democracy come in? Its quite certain the thief will not be able to challenge his arrest if the police have proper evidence, so how is democracy giving that thief an advantage?

its a big sign that "WHITE MEN COMPLEX" India is suffering to be like Americans trying thier best to adopt western culture.

Last edited:
its a big sign that "WHITE MEN COMPLEX" India is suffering to be like Americans trying thier best to adopt western culture and be slave like once they were.

Wow! How'd you guess that hasang20? Must have taken you years of research and analysis to find out this fact?

I admire you for your courage to speak the truth. Please do carry on and enlighten me, if not us.

Wow! How'd you guess that hasang20? Must have taken you years of research and analysis to find out this fact?

I admire you for your courage to speak the truth. Please do carry on and enlighten me, if not us.

Truth is always is bitter...so swallow it...it is the need of the time.:coffee:

If 10 gunman with heavy bags full of weapons can enter high profile areas (Taj Hotel and cafe) then one can imagine the level of security check there.

somebody loses a bag, and it becomes an issue with our democracy. to be technically correct - ITS ILLEGAL TO STEAL UNDER OUR DEMOCRATIC LAWS.

Why the melamine factories not an issue with ur communism by ur own standards? how far fetched can u get to bash our democracy... must be really hurting eh :)

somebody loses a bag, and it becomes an issue with our democracy. to be technically correct - ITS ILLEGAL TO STEAL UNDER OUR DEMOCRATIC LAWS.

what if someone carried in a bag full of bomb? then what?

Back
Top Bottom