What's new

Thermal assisted friction stir welding machine established at NMRL

mehboobkz

Reaction score
Country
India
etc45675.png

A 100 kN thermal assisted Friction Stir Welding Machine was inaugurated by Dr SB Singh, OS and Director, Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL), Ambernath. The machine is a Make in India initiative and is jointly designed and developed by NMRL and RV Machine Tools, Coimbatore, under development contract.

The facility will be used for welding wide range of both ferrous and non-ferrous alloys for Naval, Aerospace and Defence applications like torpedo shell, rocket motor casing, missile nose cone and body, ship, aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicle structural portions

Salient Features
• Load Capacity: 100 kN (z axis), 50 kN (Y & X axis)
• X-axis Travel: 1500 mm (weld length)
• Spindle Speed: 100-3000 rpm
• Induction Heater: 10 kW
• Tool Holder: Liquid cooled with temperature telemetry system (Megastir ®)
• Induction Heater: 10 kW Joint Configurations: Circumferential Seam and Longitudinal Seam, T Joint, Lapp Joint, Fillet Joint, Butt Joint
• Alloy Group and Thickness: Aluminium (2-50 mm), Magnesium (2-50 mm), Titanium (2-12 mm), Steel (2-25 mm)

friction-stirwelding-2-6-638.jpg

friction-stirwelding-by-shaikh-mohd-aslam-18-638.jpg

mission-critical-metal-fabrication-3.jpg

Ahan nice tech induction still needs Inert gas some time for accurate cutting ,just my two cents

Depends what metal is being welded (more correctly forged given nothing is melted per se). Aluminium you can get away with no shield gas in this technique given the much higher contact temp/impulse time required for it to react with O2 in any appreciable way. For long time the majority of FSW dealt with Aluminium and such "softer" non-Ferrous metals exclusively where thermal generation was much too low for shielding gas to be needed.

Steel for long time couldn't be done given the temperatures generated at the tool. But with advanced materials now (PCBN with PCD tip) it can be done, but the tool tip/metal contact needs to be shielded so inert gas is used.

But generally this is a last case method for steel welding given there are potentially better methods depending on the geometry and Quality control in question.

You can read some points here:

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/friction-stir-weldingit39s-not-just-for-aluminum

The machine is a Make in India initiative and is jointly designed and developed by NMRL and RV Machine Tools, Coimbatore, under development contract.

Coimbatore, my home town :)

Depends what metal is being welded (more correctly forged given nothing is melted per se). Aluminium you can get away with no shield gas in this technique given the much higher contact temp/impulse time required for it to react with O2 in any appreciable way. For long time the majority of FSW dealt with Aluminium and such "softer" non-Ferrous metals exclusively where thermal generation was much too low for shielding gas to be needed.

Steel for long time couldn't be done given the temperatures generated at the tool. But with advanced materials now (PCBN with PCD tip) it can be done, but the tool tip/metal contact needs to be shielded so inert gas is used.

But generally this is a last case method for steel welding given there are potentially better methods depending on the geometry and Quality control in question.

You can read some points here:
Just to share i have shared some solution for Al cutting for N2 base and it worked well for accurate cutting infact desired accuracy and no slag requirement was less then 0.5 micron

Just to share i have shared some solution for Al cutting for N2 base and it worked well for accurate cutting infact desired accuracy and no slag requirement was less then 0.5 micron

Whats your line of work if I may ask?

Whats your line of work if I may ask?
I am Consultant /Engineer i devised solution using various Industrial gases and other applications for welding/plasma/laser cutting machines most recently started some work with Food Ind as well

I am Consultant /Engineer i devised solution using various Industrial gases and other applications for welding/plasma/laser cutting machines most recently started some work with Food Ind as well

OK coz you sounded like someone that knows his beans on the subject :)

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom