What's new

The web is eating your brain, log off now.

Vassnti

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
This is your brain on technology

The human brain is wired to crave the instant gratification, fast pace, and unpredictability of technology, Cash says.

"I never know what the next tweet is going to be. Who's sent me an e-mail? What will I find with the next click of the mouse? What's waiting for me?" says Cash, who practices in Redmond, Washington. "But I know what's waiting for me in my garden."

Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, admits she, too, has a hard time resisting the call of her BlackBerry. "On vacation, I look at it even though I don't need to," she says. "Or I take a walk with my husband and I can't resist the urge to check my e-mail. I feel guilty, but I do it."

She explains that constant stimulation can activate dopamine cells in the nucleus accumbens, a main pleasure center of the brain.

Over time, and with enough Internet usage, the structure of our brains can actually physically change, according to a new study. Researchers in China did MRIs on the brains of 18 college students who spent about 10 hours a day online.

Compared with a control group who spent less than two hours a day online, these students had less gray matter, the thinking part of the brain. The study was published in the June issue of PLoS ONE, an online journal.

Does life online give you 'popcorn brain'? - CNN.com

Spending to long on line may make you stupid log off get out play with your kids walk with your girlfriend, ( cringe) visit you mother if you have 5000+ posts you may have popcorn brain ;)

you know, in South Korea they actually have "internet rehab" facilities and programs?

I saw a documentary about it on Al Jazeera.....

OMG..., lonliness is the most fast growing epidimic of the 20th century and Virtual online Worlds like E-Dating,Facebook, and stuff has realy pissed off ordinary man... This whole concept is well emphasized in Cyberpunk book written by a novelist cum computer scientist Neal Stephenson.

200px-Snowcrash.jpg

And

The_Diamond_Age.jpg

Too Much Time Spent Online severely damages a person's Brain and his psychological behavior towards his her environment.People Might call that person crazy

you know, in South Korea they actually have "internet rehab" facilities and programs?

I saw a documentary about it on Al Jazeera.....

I think the first hospital for computer victims made operational was in China, I am not sure if we are talking about the same rehabilitation facility

Personally I think the media is just sensationalizing, once again. I'm sure every one knows about the b.s. they levelled against television when it first came out.

The TV and those cartoon channels realy have bad effect on kids. I feel irritating seeing them infront of the TV. Sometimes I have to throw them out to play...

Addiction to computer might have similar , especially you are addicted too much....

Personally I think the media is just sensationalizing, once again. I'm sure every one knows about the b.s. they levelled against television when it first came out.

Lol now half of the US uses the TV as a baby sitter and the kids are all on rittalin i would say the evils of too much TV turned out to be right.

Back
Top Bottom