What's new

The Throne Room of Mountain Gods.

Random pics from Concordia:

tc-concordia.jpg

tc-concordia-clear.jpg

t-crevasse-pete.jpg

1296043592_161188889_2-Fixed-departures-for-baltoro-glacier-k2-base-cmp-gasherbrum-base-camp-gondogoro-la-Trek-Skardu.jpg

11294497506water-stream-on-the-glacier.jpg

trek-of-the-white-glacier.jpg

Heading up from camp 1 on the Gasherbrum I:

c1-heading-up.jpg

Paiju Peak (6610 meters):

This is the view from Concordia towards the valley of the Baltoro Glacier at dawn. On the left [Paiju peaks], middle ,[Trango towers] & on the right [Grand Cathedral]:

ThisistheviewfromConcordiatowardsthevalleyoftheBaltoroGlacieratdawnOntheleftPaijupeaksmiddleTrangotowersontherightGrandCathedra.jpg

PaujuPeak6010andUliBiafotower6110M.jpg

PaujuPeak6010M.jpg

Grand Cathedral:

BaltoroCathederals.jpg

grandd.jpg

grand.jpg

gramddd.jpg

Concordia from Gondogorola:

conc.jpg

Marble Peak:

MarblePeak.jpg

Baltoro Kangri (Golden Throne):

GoldenThronePeak7265M.jpg

The popular route to Concordia starting from Askole and then coming back over the Gondogorola:

11294497506map-of-baltoro-gondogoro-pass.jpg

Satellite view of the Baltoro region detailing the locations of the major peaks and the glaciers:

NasaBaltoroGlacierK2BroadPeakGasherbrumIIIandIVMasherbrumISS001-343-26and27.jpg

**more later**

Guys im off to Aling glacier. Its right beneath Masherbrum. Pray me luck. Ill hopefully bring back some awesome pictures.

There is extremely sad news today:

Summit team comprising famous Austrian climber Gerfried Goschl, Swiss Cedric Larcher and famous Pakistani mountaineer Nisar Hussain Sadpara is missing near the summit of 8,068 metre high Mt Gasherbrum I since noon Friday 8th March 2012. The trio were part of the Austrian Expedition led by Mr Gerfried Goschl attempting the First Winter Ascent of the mountain, also known as Hidden Peak, situated in the upper reaches of the Baltoro glacier in District Skardu of Gilgit Batistan. Earlier the summit team had left Camp I on 6 March on the new route from South side which was established by the Expedition during last one month and was also attempted by Gerfried Goschl during his last winter attempt on the peak in January 2011. They started for Gasherbrum I summit from its South side carrying all its gear and climbed throughout Thursday night, but had to bivouc enroute above 7000 metres.

On Friday 8th March at 10:30 am Mr Gerfried informed back home in Austria that he was 450 metres below the summit. Another expedition member Alex Txikon from Camp 2 saw them heading towards the summit around 2:00 pm. The team used Thuraya telephone set.

Today the Alpine Club of Pakistan stated in their press release that,
Alpine Club of Pakistan
Press Release - 15th March 2012
Helicopter flies on Gasherbrum I - No signs of Missing Mountaineers Expedition decides to abandon further Search efforts.

Nisar Hussain Sadpara is one of the only three Pakistani mountaineers who have successfully summited all five of the Pakistani 8000 meter peaks. He is not to be confused with Hussan Sadpara who recently summited Mt.Everest, becoming the second ever Pakistani to do so. Nisar, a brilliant mountaineer in his own right, has remained overshadowed by Hussan Sadpara mostly due to politics, as is the case with everything in Pakistan, and partially due to the little coverage that this sport receives in our country (In fact Nisar climbed K2 before Hussan). He is as great hero of Pakistan, as is Hassan Sadpara, but has been ignored by not only local administration but also the Government and today we fear, in all probability, that he might not be among us anymore. The only hope that remains is of a miracle. He was a par excellence mountaineer and the international mountaineering community acknowledged him as such. Ironically and sadly, while he was famous internationally, no one even knew his name in Pakistan before he went missing and he might soon be forgotten. I heard about Nisar a few years back from one of my regular mountain guides in Skardu and as he recalled "Nisar was void of any arrogance or pride that is befitting and the right of a man who has stepped foot on top of K2, he was genuinely very humble and nice". Sadly every time I tried to get a hold of him I couldn't due to unforgiving circumstances.

A deserved salute for these three brave mountaineers who went missing on last Friday. They belonged to one of the two summit teams this year attempting to summit Gasherbrum I for the first time ever in the winter season.

Nisar Hussain Sadpar:

nisa.jpg

images-1.jpg

images1.jpg

images2.jpg

Gerfried Goschl:

GG.jpg

Cedric Larcher:

ced.jpg

There is extremely sad news today:

Today the Alpine Club of Pakistan stated in their press release that,

Nisar Hussain Sadpara is one of the only three Pakistani mountaineers who have successfully summited all five of the Pakistani 8000 meter peaks. He is not to be confused with Hussan Sadpara who recently summited Mt.Everest, becoming the second ever Pakistani to do so. Nisar, a brilliant mountaineer in his own right, has remained overshadowed by Hussan Sadpara mostly due to politics, as is the case with everything in Pakistan, and partially due to the little coverage that this sport receives in our country (In fact Nisar climbed K2 before Hussan). He is as great hero of Pakistan, as is Hassan Sadpara, but has been ignored by not only local administration but also the Government and today we fear, in all probability, that he might not be among us anymore. The only hope that remains is of a miracle. He was a par excellence mountaineer and the international mountaineering community acknowledged him as such. Ironically and sadly, while he was famous internationally, no one even knew his name in Pakistan before he went missing and he might soon be forgotten. I heard about Nisar a few years back from one of my regular mountain guides in Skardu and as he recalled "Nisar was void of any arrogance or pride that is befitting and the right of a man who has stepped foot on top of K2, he was genuinely very humble and nice". Sadly every time I tried to get a hold of him I couldn't due to unforgiving circumstances.

A deserved salute for these three brave mountaineers who went missing on last Friday. They belonged to one of the two summit teams this year attempting to summit Gasherbrum I for the first time ever in the winter season.

Nisar Hussain Sadpar:

nisa.jpg

images-1.jpg

images1.jpg

images2.jpg

Gerfried Goschl:

GG.jpg

Cedric Larcher:

ced.jpg

yeah Sad News RIP all the climbers

428242_10151395252580472_681605471_23178259_393600079_n.jpg

Climbing History of Nisar Hussain Satpara - Tribute to this great mountaineer !!!

Nisar Hussain Sadpara Climbed 8000 meters mountains 9 times

^^^ Speaking of the bottle neck on K2 check out this video. While watching the video notice how the sky is completely black untill the camera pans over to the horizon. We all know that its the earth's atmosphere which makes the sky look blue ;)

K2 "Bottleneck" 8350 meters - YouTube

Also the huge ice-walls (called seracs) which you see hanging over above the climbers broke off the side of the mountain and killed 11 people on the day this video was made. You can read all about it here: 2008 K2 disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and check this out. The band HipdeBop composed a musical number in tribute to K2. Goes to show the stature K2 possesses:

Tribute to The Savage Mountain [K2] - YouTube

Well done Krash. Must have to admit that I love this thread. Many of the pics in this thread seem to be out of this world. Out of this planet. Baltoro, Concordia are truly amazing places to say the least. Unbelievable stuff. Pakistan is definitely gifted with a huge beauty.

*I do not own the following photographs. They belong to the person who's signature can be seen on them*

Muztagh Tower (6109 m) at dusk:

muztaghsunset.jpg

baltoroulibiafo.jpg

baltorouff.jpg

baltorodusk1.jpg

baltoroulibiafo1.jpg

Chogolisa (left), Khumul Giri (right):

baltoroooooo.jpg

Baltoro Glacier (foreground), Broad Peak (background):

baltorolalala.jpg

baltorodunno.jpg

It is not without reason that they call it the 'Third Pole'. See if you can make out the silhouette of the Mitre peak in the background:

baltoromitremuztagh.jpg

baltoromuztaghclouds.jpg

Crossing a glacial stream:

baltoro.jpg

Other awesome shots from the area:

unknownclouds.jpg

baltorolotr.jpg

baltorolanch.jpg

unknown.jpg

Baltoro Glacier (foreground), The Grand Cathedral (background):

baltoroglacierandcathedral.jpg

Back