What's new

The Story of 300 In India You Probably Didn't know

tenor.gif

The bravery of Baji Prabhu is well documented and should be celebrated, however I take offense to the fact that this had anything to do with “Hindu” nationalism. It was Maratha Nationalism, which might be the precursor to Indian nationalism. It had nothing to do with protecting “Hindu culture or civilization”, but more to do with Swarajya.
Marathas were a secular force as was their leader Shivaji.
So this seems nothing more than a Shiv Sena type propaganda to use the good works of Shivaji and his leadership to portray “Hindu nationalism” as a concept when it did not exist.

The bravery of Baji Prabhu is well documented and should be celebrated, however I take offense to the fact that this had anything to do with “Hindu” nationalism. It was Maratha Nationalism, which might be the precursor to Indian nationalism. It had nothing to do with protecting “Hindu culture or civilization”, but more to do with Swarajya.
So this seems nothing more than a Shiv Sena type propaganda to use the good works of Shivaji and his leadership to portray “Hindu nationalism” as a concept when it did not exist.
Sure Shivaji was secular politician and then PM of secular Maratha empire .:what:o_O:(

Shivaji was secular politician and then PM of secular Maratha empire .
Sirji, Shivaji was Chhatrapati.

And @Peshwa I wouldn't call that secular either. Hindus never considered themselves under a name tag of Hindu. Shivaji never discriminated against Muslims nor advocated the killing of Muslim. Nor he took women as war bounty, a practice that was rampant among the Muslim conquerors at the time.

Almost as bad as Koreans claiming Confucius was born in Korea and was Korean :disagree:
What?:o:

You are in the wrong thread sunshine.

I like the deeds of Bahir ji Naik more then anyone in Maratha empire .... due to his intelligence Shivaji was able pull the surprises like in battle of Umberkhind...... @Peshwa what you say about his capabilities

Sirji, Shivaji was Chhatrapati.

And @Peshwa I wouldn't call that secular either. Hindus never considered themselves under a name tag of Hindu. Shivaji never discriminated against Muslims nor advocated the killing of Muslim. Nor he took women as war bounty, a practice that was rampant among the Muslim conquerors at the time.

I think you and I are saying the exact same thing.
The swarajya movement of Shivaji was secular in nature ie. He didn’t discriminate between Hindu or Muslim nor was his campaign directed against Islamic rulers. It could very well have been a Hindu ruler at the top and he would have revolted. It was a power struggle not uncommon during those times. The idea that he was a “hindu nationalist” is absolutely false. He believed in an independent kingdom for himself and his people, not because of any perceived revival of Hindu nation or trying to be a savior of hinduism. No such concept existed then.

I like the deeds of Bahir ji Naik more then anyone in Maratha empire .... due to his intelligence Shivaji was able pull the surprises like in battle of Umberkhind...... @Peshwa what you say about his capabilities

I’m not quite familiar with him or his actions as much TBH. So can’t comment on it.
A quick read says he was a spy?
I would love to read more about it if you can share any material.

Almost as bad as Koreans claiming Confucius was born in Korea and was Korean :disagree:

Are you saying Shivaji or Baji Prabhu weren’t Maratha or Indian?
Perhaps you can clarify your comment further.

Yes Shivaji is like Rahul Gandhi, secular.

While I do not question Shivaji's secular credentials - he didn't used the term "Hindutva" which was coined by Savarkar.
But Shivaji used the term "Hindavi Swaraj"
The debate between historians is whether it means "Indian" rule or "Hindu" rule.

Back
Top Bottom