What's new

The Scooter Looked Like a Warrior's Horse : Nostalgia

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
A way from the chaotic metro traffic, in a Tier-II city, as the bus I was travelling stopped at a traffic signal, I had chance to see a refurbished Bajaj scooter parked majestically on the portico of a house, with its front wheel above the ground. This cute automobile should have served its master at least for two decades now. It took me back to my days with one such scooter of my father’s.

Early in the ’80s, one had to wait for at least eight months to get one scooter and people tried even through an NRI quota to get it faster. The scooter, especially Bajaj Chetak and Super, was the king in its era. In the fag end of his career, my dad wanted to invest on a scooter through a vehicle loan. In my twenties, men of my age didn’t always like the scooter for its basic features. The trend was to put the legs over the bike and ride it unlike the scooter where one has to sneak through the opening in the front.

Reluctantly I started using it for around two years. It was the easiest way to start riding a tw0- wheeler with an easy hand gear. But it was heavy, not balanced like the bike, had smaller wheels and the weight always tilted towards one side. In plain words, I couldn’t vroom at top speed like a bike for the fear of skidding while braking. Due to the poor shock absorber, as it scans every pothole, the shock was usually absorbed by my neck and shoulders. The situation was worse when women rode pillion seated on one side. The result was cervical spondilitis. But by this time, it had become very dear to me. This made me wonder why my college professors, despite their abdomen belt, still preferred riding scooters.

I could comfortably keep a helmet in the helmet box and use the side tool box for storing small items, especially to keep slippers near temples where there were no chappal stands. The space near my legs, which first made me think the scooter was feminine, could be good enough even for a half-HP motor.

Leaving the scooter to rest on its straight stand, tilting it on one side for petrol flow and balancing it before a smooth kick, was a wonderful procedure. I could hold on to the handle bar with one hand while tilting and the whole weight was perfectly balanced on that side. Now I felt the scooter was truly masculine, sturdy and also most comfortable to travel in the worst gradient because the shaft system doesn’t loosen like the chain system while shifting gears.

As fuel prices sky-rocketed, having a scooter became economically unviable. Mechanics too didn’t know how to repair a geared scooter. I did not know what to do after getting rid of the scooter. It could fetch a very low price in exchange but the repairs that recurred were more than the value of the scooter itself. I had to give it to a friend of 18 years and that was also the end of an era of geared scooters. But the bike now didn’t suit a family man. The side hanger cannot bear much load and the modern day pillion is not comfortable for older women. Now there are scooters all over — fully automatic — no gears, have a side stand and a button start.

My flash back jerked a bit as the bus driver pressed the accelerator on a green signal. For me now, the scooter looked like a warrior’s horse, majestically standing on its hind legs with its front legs lifted and raring to go. Silently, I saluted the owner for relying on its soldier against all odds.

My View :

I know most of the members have not driven a geared scooter, ever. But those who have, can share some of their experience. I have driven Lamby, Priya, Super and Chetak and Lastly which was withdrawn from Market, Eterno. In 70s and 80s the Second Hand Bajaj Chetak was costlier than New Chetak!!

@Indischer @Dem!god @DRAY @levina @Skull and Bones @Armstrong @Peaceful Civilian (I do not know what kind of geared scooter was there in Pakistan) @halupridol @wolfschanzze @scorpionx @desert warrior @Dash @Robinhood Pandey and others

Wonderful post!! I have driven geared scooters, both Bajaj & Vespa, Vespa had better appeal among youngsters, Vespa also had better balance. I never got a chance to try Lamby though.

And how many here know about Yezdi and Rajdoot bikes? They were also popular along with Royal Enfield. And then came the era of Hero Honda and Yamaha 100 cc bikes. Bajaj had another gem, the great M80!! How many remember that little workhorse? :-)

Those were the days, people were really happy with little, things have changed so much now. :(

I used to ride a Bajaj Cub in my pre-university days, having inherited it from my dad. Remember falling off a number of times trying to do a wheelie on it. Neither was I very successful nor were the girls impressed by an idiot on a scooter. :lol:

Other than this, I've had the chance to drive a few icons of my childhood days like Chetak, Vespa, M80, Rajdoot, RD350, Shogun etc......Lambretta, Jawa, Yezdi and Shaolin have continued to be elusive though.

My dad had scooters during the whole of my school life with the side car (not good with names of those scooters). Every morning he would drop me and my brothers to school which was a good 9-10 bus stops away from my home. That 20 minute ride in the side car with the cold morning air blowing on my face was the best way to travel to school.

The only scooter that there is in Pakistan is one of those pretty darn old Vespas ! :unsure:

Scooters just don't sell in Pakistan, I suppose - Men here prefer bikes to scooters & women prefer public transport or personal cars ! :undecided:

I drove bajaj chetak which was my dads, and later on vespa of my friend.They were best for small streets.
Later on tried Shogun, pulsar,bullet.
For getting some groceries near home would use kinetic as its hard to find a parking spot for car nowadays.

I hated the chetak , ever time you wanted to start it you had to lean the bike over to the right . vespas were much better in those days.

Arey, there is a joke about this, probably all know it. "NASA's Rocket could not start though they found everything to be correct. So they asked for ISRO's help. ISRO send a Sardarji from their team. Sardarji took a look at the rocket, tilted the rocket and then straighten it again. Now the rocket's engine started. When asked by NASA how he did it, he said "It is simple. We do this regularly to start our Chetak Scooter, all over India the Chetak scooter's Owners do this."!!

I hated the chetak , ever time you wanted to start it you had to lean the bike over to the right . vespas were much better in those days.
There was a joke,
about that tilting the scooter and starting it again.

Once many country scientists gather to witness the launch of a rocket to moon,
after the countdown ends the rocket fails to take off.
Every scientists is aghast and tries to see what went wrong, then a indian scientist tells them to tilt the rocket 45 degrees and the restart it again, and behold the rocket takes off.:p:
Everyone congratulates him and asks how did he knew the rocket would start,The Indian Scientist replied that is how we start our scooter when it won't start or when the Petrol is over :rofl:

Arey, there is a joke about this, probably all know it. "NASA's Rocket could not start though they found everything to be correct. So they asked for ISRO's help. ISRO send a Sardarji from their team. Sardarji took a look at the rocket, tilted the rocket and then straighten it again. Now the rocket's engine started. When asked by NASA how he did it, he said "It is simple. We do this regularly to start our Chetak Scooter, all over India the Chetak scooter's Owners do this."!!
I said the same joke , great minds think alike :D

Last edited:
I drove bajaj chetak which was my dads, and later on vespa of my friend.They were best for small streets.
Later on tried Shogun, pulsar,bullet.
For getting some groceries near home would use kinetic as its hard to find a parking spot for car nowadays.
I remember the Kiney fondly, it was the one bike on which i could carry 3 cases of beer with out a problem:)

I remember the Kiney fondly, it was the one bike on which i could carry 3 cases of beer with out a problem:)
It is the easiest one to drive, but if the autostart faills, kickstarting it is a major problem :)
Thats when somebody had to push it to start it from behind until momentum is achieved to start it it :P

Back
Top Bottom