What's new

Featured The Rise and Decline of Tanks in the Battlefield: A Perspective

TANKS have come to say. There is no current system capable of substituting tanks in the offensive role. If the countries stop using tanks due the threats posed by atgms or other systems than the situation will be like the killing fields of ww1. If the anti tank systems are evolving but so are the tanks. The most important step is the Active Protection System which may in turn render atgm systems useless. Then comes the drones and attack aircrafts, for that purpose we have air defence units operating with armoured divs and we are also using different equipment for lowering the tanks profile and visibility from air. It was this lack of creativity which led to the deaths in ww1. If we stop sending men and tanks into battle for the fear of their lives than u can its consequences."the price of Victory is always high but the price of Cowardice is higher.

TANKS have come to say. There is no current system capable of substituting tanks in the offensive role. If the countries stop using tanks due the threats posed by atgms or other systems than the situation will be like the killing fields of ww1. If the anti tank systems are evolving but so are the tanks. The most important step is the Active Protection System which may in turn render atgm systems useless. Then comes the drones and attack aircrafts, for that purpose we have air defence units operating with armoured divs and we are also using different equipment for lowering the tanks profile and visibility from air. It was this lack of creativity which led to the deaths in ww1. If we stop sending men and tanks into battle for the fear of their lives than u can its consequences."the price of Victory is always high but the price of Cowardice is higher.
good post. tanks must not be seen in isolation., they come with contingent of infantry to look after their flanks and other support vehicles. they can call in air support

Certainly the future of tanks took a hit when Saddam's wall of tanks got wiped out from the air.

It seems the future definitely lies with a swarm of almost suicidal robot tanks overwhelming enemy forces
I doubt age of manned operated machine will end , a tank with crew and plane with pilot will remain exist in future.Cyber attack and electronic warfare is getting more and more common. Quoting a US army officer serving in Iraq ..he said , at the end of day we still using the baseline weapon , we used in second world war.
I remember A10 thunderbolt in desert war.
upload_2020-5-20_18-34-23.png

upload_2020-5-20_18-34-54.png

Last edited:
I doubt age of manned operated machine will end , a tank with crew and plane with pilot will remain exist in future.Cyber attack and electronic warfare is getting more and more common. Quoting a US army officer serving in Iraq ..he said , at the end of day we still using the baseline weapon , we used in second world war.
I remember A10 thunderbolt in desert war.
View attachment 634205
View attachment 634206

It will simply be too dangerous. What are you going to do in a sky full of fearless robots tossing ballbearings all over the place trying to crack your windshield or foul your engines.

Boss, because non of your neighbours had large armoured divisions. If they did trust me SA would have a large armoured force.
Really.... when you do not know much i suggest you keep quiet. I do not engage with ridiculous answers for the sake of it. think before you write anything and see overall picture.
Just take a drive across the namib where you have boulders of size of 1m-1.5m and they will take any track apart within 100km. we are not taking of flat lands where you are wanting these to be used. Let us now even speak about mines etc.
A similarity... US armour was useless in vietnam or even in SriLanka against LTTE.
cheers.

Really.... when you do not know much i suggest you keep quiet. I do not engage with ridiculous answers for the sake of it. think before you write anything and see overall picture.
Just take a drive across the namib where you have boulders of size of 1m-1.5m and they will take any track apart within 100km. we are not taking of flat lands where you are wanting these to be used. Let us now even speak about mines etc.
A similarity... US armour was useless in vietnam or even in SriLanka against LTTE.
cheers.

seriously which African military had the force to conventionally attack South Africa ?

Interesting thoughts. just a few bits I wish to discuss. At the end of WWI, a lot of technology was developed. This technology revolutionized the WWI tank and made it into something truly decisive. However, as time went on, technologies developed that decreased the effectiveness of tanks.

Now, whenever new technologies develop, a pressure develops to develop new superior systems. On the other hand, there is a pressure to keep the same platforms and modify them. At some point, countries and military leaders become brave enough to adopt a new way of warfare based on these stresses.

We may have now reached a point where tanks need a major rethink. For countries like Pakistan this needs to be different than for countries of the West. The requirements are very different.

Neither Pakistan nor India has ever had the will or the capacity or perhaps even the capability to engage in large scale blitzkreig maneuver warfare. They have largely fought attrition fights at or near the border. This may be because indigenous military science has not developed to the extent needed for effective employment.

What we have largely seen are borrowed tanks, borrowed ideologies and borrowed doctrines, doing sparring. Making small shows of West vs Russia mini-battles. We are yet to see either militaries breed military strategists and thinkers that can develop a basic form of combat optimal for the Subcontinent.

Back
Top Bottom