What's new

The Philippines eyes tripartite security pact with US, Japan

Stranagor

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
TOKYO: The Philippines is considering a tripartite agreement with its two close allies, the United States and Japan, amid the "dangerous situations" the country faces, President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said.

Interviewed by Japan's Kyodo News Friday, the President said one of the "many other issues" raised by the Philippine delegation during his visit to Tokyo was creating alliances with its long-time partners.

"It is something that we certainly are going to be studying upon my return to the Philippines. I think just part of the continuing process of strengthening our alliances because in this rather confusing," he said.

Forging alliances is "a central element to ... providing some sort of stability in the face of all these problems that we are seeing us," Marcos said.

The President and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida earlier agreed to beef up Manila and Tokyo's defense and security relations.

"While this is not a Seato (Southeast Asia Treaty Organization)a-like structure, I support its genesis," he said in a statement, referring to the group created in 1955 to thwart communist gains in the region but was dissolved in 1977 due to withdrawals and waning interest of members.

Marcos and Kishida also welcomed the signing of the terms of reference concerning the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Activities of the Japan Self-Defense Forces in the Philippines, and agreed to continue finding ways to carry out joint exercises between their countries.

They also agreed to further advance cooperation in economic security, cybersecurity and other fields

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom