What's new

The new war epic film is a masterpiece ''The battle at lake Changjin''

China has proven to be spectacularly bad when it comes to soft power, communication and image building. There is a massive gap in understanding the messaging tone and story telling that would appeal to foreign audiences. Even among audiences in the developing world, where China could easily build strong bonds and gain sympathy, it fails spectacularly.

I think there are two parts to this, one is that China is a very large, insular nation so it is difficult for them to understand how foreign cultures operate. However, this is not an insurmountable challenge. The second part is the major thing holding China back, is the over-regulation of the entertainment industry, control of content, over-censorship and the constant focus on a domestic audience, all being pushed by the Chinese government that is preventing the evolution of an effective and globally successful entertainment industry and the utilization of the right talent that can create content that would appeal to a foreign audience.

China is a massive and great nation with one of the world's richest civilizations, histories, and some of the world's most impressive cities and scenery. It has some of the world's most impressive cutting edge tech and is a great center of innovation.

It can easily become a great soft power but only if it allows the best talent to flourish and that will require both understanding how to develop such talent and the reversal of recent clamp downs on the freedom of expression.

NO IT ISN'T. What proof do you have of this? It is literally unknown whereas Pokemon and Naruto are staples.
Buddy, you're sounding more and more like a CIA agent. The purpose of movies like this epic is to entertainment Chinese. The fook cares if an outsider gets a stomach ache from just reading the movie's synopsis.

Buddy, you're sounding more and more like a CIA agent. The purpose of movies like this epic is to entertainment Chinese. The fook cares if an outsider gets a stomach ache from just reading the movie's synopsis.

Are you dumb? Having a powerful entertainment industry that has global appeal is one of the greatest levers of power that one can have. Why do you think the Jews are always obsessed about controlling all forms of media? Because that is one of the most effective ways to get people on your side.

Currently, China is suffering from an incredible deficit in this regards. Your mentality is a perfect example of this. Because of this, the US media has been able to turn entire societies anti-China even when it goes against their own interest to be so fervently anti-China, take Australia for example. China's media has no global presence and no global appeal and this has made China defenseless against all sorts of allegations and attacks, even those that are fabricated.

China has proven to be spectacularly bad when it comes to soft power, communication and image building. There is a massive gap in understanding the messaging tone and story telling that would appeal to foreign audiences. Even among audiences in the developing world, where China could easily build strong bonds and gain sympathy, it fails spectacularly.

I think there are two parts to this, one is that China is a very large, insular nation so it is difficult for them to understand how foreign cultures operate. However, this is not an insurmountable challenge. The second part is the major thing holding China back, is the over-regulation of the entertainment industry, control of content, over-censorship and the constant focus on a domestic audience, all being pushed by the Chinese government that is preventing the evolution of an effective and globally successful entertainment industry and the utilization of the right talent that can create content that would appeal to a foreign audience.

China is a massive and great nation with one of the world's richest civilizations, histories, and some of the world's most impressive cities and scenery. It has some of the world's most impressive cutting edge tech and is a great center of innovation.

It can easily become a great soft power but only if it allows the best talent to flourish and that will require both understanding how to develop such talent and the reversal of recent clamp downs on the freedom of expression.

NO IT ISN'T. What proof do you have of this? It is literally unknown whereas Pokemon and Naruto are staples.
Soft power is rule, standard, not the bullshit entertainment.

If Indians even have the slightest aspiration to fight PLA in the future, they should watch this Chinese movie and learn about Battle of Changjin/Chosin. If Indians learn how Chinese fought in dire situation and caused 15000 casualty on UN X Corps and drove them out of North Korea for good, they would tune down their arrogance.

Chinese fought and won against USA in -40°C in North Korea 70 years, they can definitly fight against poorly equipped and malnourished Indians in Himalaya today.

I dont know what this south korean "domination" is. I dont think anyone really cares in west.

I think you're exaggerating the level of influence that Tencent has. Yes, they have become quite successful in the gaming field but most of the game content is not China oriented so as far as Chinese influence is concerned, it's minimal.

China's government is exerting way too much influence over the entertainment industry and over private industry in general. This has been exacerbated over the last 3 years. It needs to loosen up.

South Korea set out 20 years ago to build its entertainment industry and has been extremely successful. China needs to stop controlling its immense film making talent pool and allow for freer expression which will include exploring subjects that the Chinese govt may not like, such as greater sexuality, social critiques, horror and even dark/nihilistic themes. These are themes that universally peak human interest.

See Genshin Impact and pro eSports like league of legends and DOTA 2.

Millions of white, black, etc. gamers look up to Chinese pro gamers like Uzi, ClearLove and Doublelift (even though he's playing in NA, nobody would think a guy named Peng Yiliang is white). They think about Chinese teams like EDG, RNG, etc. All the time.

Millions of gamers spend literal billions in Genshin Impact playing in settings with unmistakably Chinese names like Liyue. They are listening to Chinese music.

I dont know what this south korean "domination" is. I dont think anyone really cares in west.

Google "chosin reservoir battle", you will be surprised by the sheer amount of reflection.

when chinese box-office grows even more ,and can produce highest grossing movies in the history on regular basis,the clout will increase a lot.
Currently,there are gap still in the entertainment industry,whole world talks about squid games,bts dominates hot100,PARIS FAshion week is buzzing with Blackpink members,oscars is being won by korean movies.
China don't need to appease the west but despite that, China has some catch up to do in for mainstream global standard quality..Chinese story line and direction has to improve,right now china produces drama at a breakneck pace,may be due to the seer volume of works that are churned out but Chinese show plots are less coherent and hard to keep up with for foreigners,in comparison,korean or Japanese drama are much more easy to get into without feeling lost.The movie quality seems lacking in many works even compared to Hongkong movies.Chinese drama and movie have some really brilliant scenes but they tend to fall behind in some other parts with the asinine script and lackluster direction.Of course, there's some really good directors but those are very few. The Chinese movie makers has to improve their quality.Lack of freehand is no excuse for poor script and direction..
East asian nations has advantage in culture and physiognomy to command more appeal and softpower than the more crude west,and the rest of the world,china has to utilize that.

Are you kidding me? Advantage in culture and physiognomy? 🤣😂
But that's not what I'm saying. What I said was because Tencent owns games like LoL with minimum China contents, they're more likely to attract Westerners to the Tencent brand. And boom pretty soon all those Westerners are exposed to Tencent related contents like Chinese dramas. I kid u not Weiwuxian is now as popular as Pokemon or Naruto in the West because of companies like Tencent. China soft power building up slowly and steadily.

That is rubbish. Nobody knows Weiwuxian over here and never heared about Tencent before.

That actor that pops up at 0:56 mark is such a comedic actor and his always a mood. I believe have seen that guy in couple of other big Chinese Wuxia series I am not sure whether I have seen him in ''The swordsman or the romance of the condor hero'' His an actor I have seen multiple times. I have also seen Elvis Han whos in this project as well in couple of other projects his a good actor....

Edit: Now I remember where and this is hilarious The comedic actor was playing Elvis Han's father in Paladin 5. The Comedic actor's character was playing a raod robber in ancient times and his the leader of this road robber gang or road pirates but he somehow finds a little kid he decides to raise him and this kid is raised by the road robbers and the comedic actor as his father

Last edited:

That is rubbish. Nobody knows Weiwuxian over here and never heared about Tencent before.

Exactly, I have no idea what that that guy is talking about.

I think there are two parts to this, one is that China is a very large, insular nation so it is difficult for them to understand how foreign cultures operate. However, this is not an insurmountable challenge. The second part is the major thing holding China back, is the over-regulation of the entertainment industry, control of content, over-censoorship and the constant focus on a domestic audience, all being pushed by the Chinese government that is preventing the evolution of an effective and globally successful entertainment industry and the utilization of the right talent that can create content that would appeal to a foreign audience.

China falls behind when you stack it up against korea or Japan in the mentioned "soft power, communication and image building" but always China naturally had influential soft-power simply for being China,due to it's ancient culture and history ,challenge is to keep presenting the appeal to the world from one generation to the next.China is still developing nation Korea & Japan are developed,may be Chinese soft power will peak when it also gets developed ,which is a some time still considering the humongous 1.4b population and ageing on top of that.

Focus on a domestic audience isn't a negative,as long as the quality is improved,people will consume chinese content because it's chinese ,they already have American content at home. Quality products always have its appeal whether in China or any nation in the earth. But they have to also let the world know that quality stuff is being produced therein,otherwise, people wouldn't notice.Considering global audience is good imo ,in the context that it will make the involved staff strive for higher quality fit for global standard and dual-income from local and abroad.Censorship is indeed a burden but may be china considers ,it's worth the social effect in maintaining order.

China is indeed improving ,drama-animation-comics-games.
For example :meteor garden is easily in top 10 most popular drama on any site .

In animes you have Click Link ranking 23 in MAL, the cult favourite.
1633982988893.png

In illustration works Tales of Demons & Gods is always in the top sections of any free/paid website.

Genshin impact being one of most popular game globally,is standardizing chinese aspect in where japan was the sole representative.

China has more promise in anime & games ,since they have more experiece in this regard due to collaboration with japanese and western experts.Japan has long outsourced anime production to China,that has created a fair crop of talents.
China should find its own color and improve quality of their contents.

Do you know korean drama? anime? or even martial arts movie? the selling point is the culture .

Unless you live under a rock and out of loop,one should realize, unlike 20 years ago when the backstreet boys were the posterboys ,now it's BTS. Them being non-English, their core attraction is physiognomy,their visual, and of course the inherent personality.They are not a stand-alone.While Hollywood enjoys significant global clout due to history,expertise and English being global medium,the korean ,Chinese,Japanese celebs has the biggest fandom . People might watch Hollywood celebs like breathing but most of them actually stans Korean,Japanese or even Chinese celebs. East asian face is scientifically more amiable,it invokes the protective desires,while Hollywood actors /actress looks handsome and beautifu,Korean celebs looks ethereal and close to perfection, no unnecessary angles on face ,like a character cut out of an anime or manga .None ever superimposed such pure physiognomic appeal on that scale in competition.

Exactly, I have no idea what that that guy is talking about.

You might not have any idea ,but as we type it's no.1 in MAL currently airing animes

1633982139779.png

So,it's not like that's nothing, the live action drama is equally popular if not more , it's a yaoi,so I have no interest personally,but"the untamed" is very popular among females,any female that has a thing for BL (which is like hundreds of millions,are probably is into this .

Last edited:
China already building up its soft power steadily. No need to appease any Westerners in any of its home grown movies. Ask any nerd on the street in the West. They already know who Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan are. It's thanks to companies like Tencent. Acquiring League of Legends probably the smartest move Tencent ever made on behalf of China soft power. Thru LoL Westerners get to know Tencent, and thru Tencent they gradually become influenced and mind-washed by Chinese characters like WWX, Lan Zhan, and even Tang San.

No idea who these people are. KPop is more influential then these online games. Although TikTok is very influential Chinese platform. If Chinese made a CPop industry marketed to the world, it would probably take off, especially with all the talent they could find on TikTok.

Chinese movie industry is investing heavily in Hollywood, and we can see what happened to John Cena, so that speaks for itself.

Do you live under a rock?

Do you do any gaming? If so, you have probably played some of the games they own or have invested in.

Tencent is the world's biggest gaming company.

It is also one of the world's biggest social media companies and tech companies with a market cap of $606 billion as of this October. It ranks along the Silicon Valley giants of Google, Facebook and Apple as one of the world's largest tech companies.

Also, Kpop has made the East Asian look very popular within the last 5-8 years. Many non-Asian women are now open to or interested in dating Asian men where they weren't before. BTS and Korean actors have a lot of non-Asian women swooning over them so the East Asian male look is now more popular than ever before.

That's a lot of kung-fu movie style zoom-in and zoom-outs o_O

See Genshin Impact and pro eSports like league of legends and DOTA 2.

Millions of white, black, etc. gamers look up to Chinese pro gamers like Uzi, ClearLove and Doublelift (even though he's playing in NA, nobody would think a guy named Peng Yiliang is white). They think about Chinese teams like EDG, RNG, etc. All the time.

Millions of gamers spend literal billions in Genshin Impact playing in settings with unmistakably Chinese names like Liyue. They are listening to Chinese music.

The gaming industry is one area where Chinese soft power has made some headway. But IMO, it is not influential enough. Maybe only among nerdy gamers and weebs, but nowhere near the immense power of Korean pop culture which has created a huge fan base where people are actually interested in the individuals and personalities unlike in gaming and anime, where you just have a bunch of creepy weebs and dorks who want a waifu pillow. This is why I don't consider Japan's influential very helpful to the Asian cause while Korea has advanced the attractiveness of Asian people and Asian men in particular by leaps and bounds. If China wants its people humanized and wants foreigners to be interested in its society, it should follow Korea's example with a powerful movie industry, pop music industry and drama industry.

Back
Top Bottom