What's new

The myth of the Precision bombing

I remember my time in Kosovo as a Norbat rep to KFOR, the equipment back then is very dreadful. Most of the designator are not even weather proof back then...

When soldier on the ground calling out target to pilot up there, they would have to call out the constant movement of the enemy so the pilot can fix their approach to drop bomb on target, it is supposedly for the job of professional, not anyone can hold a laser det and call out for target

That was 15 years ago, today guided bomb have come to a new age, a lot can be done on the remote end of the radio, the FLIR can even Identify the target by the infrared signature, you cannot compare what it is so new and so sophisticate 15 or 20 odd year to the mature technology now

Technology is more advanced now, but still you have to be on the ground if you wish to defeat your enemy. Radar, infrared, radio, laser, GPS and TV guided missiles were in use during the bombing of Yugoslavia. But if you know what your enemy is using against you, you can always find more or less effective countermeasures. And technology advances on both ends. Decoys, jammers, modern uniforms and camuflage nets with reduced IR signature .... are not the same as before 15 years ago. And again i repeat, natural environment is important thing, it's hard to hide your forces when your country is one big desert.

For example in Afghanistan large areas were not under control of the coalition forces, and that wasn't 15 or 20 years ago, NATO simply does not have the interest to send the infantry in those areas, and drones, precision strikes... won't defeat the talibans.

And today armed UAV's are killing civilians in Pakistan and many other countries.

Around 750 civilians died from NATO bombing in Yugoslavia, and at the same time some 250 soldiers died from NATO bombs. But NATO did bomb civilian train, civilian bus, albanian refugees column(two times), chinese embassy,....

Don't get me wrong precision weapons are great, but they are not almighty as some would like them to be.

Back
Top Bottom