What's new

The mystery of the "Bandpass Radome"

Bumpity Bumpity Bump :D

I need opinions on my new polarized microwave theory

Bumpity Bumpity Bump :D

I need opinions on my new polarized microwave theory
Sure. Polarization by itself is nothing new.

radar_ghosts_no_dopp.jpg

The problem with 'ghosts' in a multiple targets environment is nothing new. In meteorology, that problem is with 'hydrometeors', fancy word for water based solids...

Precipitation (meteorology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In meteorology, precipitation (also known as one of the classes of hydrometeors, which are atmospheric water phenomena) is any product of the condensation of atmospheric water vapor that falls under gravity.[1] The main forms of precipitation include drizzle, rain, sleet, snow, graupel and hail.
So to better estimate the mass in regards to density, we have 'polarimetric radars', which is a type of radar that transmit in both horizontal and vertical polarizations...

Polarimetric Radar Page
Polarimetric radars (also referred to as dual-polarization radars), transmit radio wave pulses that have both horizontal and vertical orientations.
The system then filters out the appropriate polarization of the return signals and this give meteorologists a better understanding of weather phenomenon regarding water based moving masses. So polarization filter by itself has been around for a long time.

What the Chinese paper attempted to do is a bit more ambitious but remains problematic and the authors admitted in the introduction...

In order to improve the quality of the received signals, prior information about jamming must be known.
Basically, the more we know about the characteristics of the jamming signals, the better we can build our polarization filter.

In fact, the polarization of jamming is usually obtained by estimation.
Estimation = Guessing.

As for jamming of high polarization degree, jamming suppression ratio can be very large (infinitude in theory). However if the receiving polarization isn’t orthogonal to that of interference strictly, the filtering performance will decrease rapidly. Hence, the estimation to interference polarization is a key in the filtering process.
In short, the less we know about the characteristics of the jamming signals, our filtering process will not be as effective as we like.

In ECCM, anytime you depend on 'estimation' about a signal's characteristics, you decrease your odds of success. That is why the US has EM reconnaissance missions and libraries of signals collected. We want any 'estimation' to be at the intelligence gathering level, not at the operational or combat level, in other words, we do not want to burden the pilots on trying to sort through the mess to accomplish their missions.

Back
Top Bottom