What's new

The man who provided intel on Bin Laden returned back to Al Qaeda!

Oldman1

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Linchpin in hunt for bin Laden back with al-Qaida - Yahoo! News
WASHINGTON – A key al-Qaida operative returned to Pakistan by the CIA after he gave the U.S. information that eventually led to the location of Osama bin Laden has since rejoined al-Qaida, U.S. officials say.

The agency returned Hassan Ghul to Pakistan not long after the CIA closed its remaining secret prisons in Eastern Europe in 2006.

The CIA had been given assurances that Ghul, a native of Pakistan, would not go free. But Pakistan failed to keep its word. Ghul was let go and later rejoined al-Qaida, angering the CIA officers who worked so hard to take him off the battlefield, according to former and current U.S. intelligence officials.

Pakistan's decision to free Ghul is yet another troubling revelation at a time when the U.S. is rethinking its relationship with Pakistan and whether it can be a trusted ally in fighting terrorism. Members of Congress have talked about ending aid to Pakistan after bin Laden was found inside Pakistan, hiding out in an urban area not far from a military garrison. Last week, CIA Director Leon Panetta confronted Pakistan's intelligence service about tipping off militants running bomb factories aimed at killing U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.
When the CIA figured out that Ghul was traveling to meet with al-Qaida operatives who had gone to Iraq after the 2003 invasion to fight the U.S., the agency decided to act. In a joint operation with the Kurds, Ghul was nabbed in northern Iraq in January 2004, former CIA officials said. Pakistan was furious when it learned the CIA had Ghul and pressed the U.S. to return him.

Instead, Ghul was taken to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan but was later removed over questions about whether the transfer was legal, former CIA officials said. Ghul then was taken to a CIA "black site" — a secret prison — in Eastern Europe and provided crucial information about bin Laden's most trusted courier before he was exposed to harsh interrogation techniques. Ghul's information later allowed the CIA to realize that finding the courier probably would lead to bin Laden.

Ghul also provided key information about the whereabouts of terrorists in Pakistan's lawless tribal areas, the officials said. He provided other precise information as well.

"He was very useful," a former CIA officer said.

Former CIA officials said in the rush to close the secret prisons, the U.S. was looking for ways to get rid of some of the remaining two dozen or so detainees in the agency's now-defunct interrogation and detention program. With Pakistan offering to take Ghul, U.S. officials figured they could also build some good will by giving him back, and the CIA had the ISI's pledge that he wouldn't go free.

It's not clear why Pakistan wanted Ghul back so badly, but former CIA officers who targeted Ghul said he had ties to the Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, which had the backing of ISI.

Little is known about Ghul's movements after he was sent back to Pakistan. At an undisclosed location in Pakistan, Ghul talked with a British detainee named Rangzieb Ahmed who was held in an adjacent cell. Ghul told Ahmed that he had been held in a secret CIA location for 2 1/2 years and had also passed through Morocco.

[MOD EDIT]

LOL at CIA's attempt to get this guy Ghul or whoever get killed by AQ for being a collaborator. Nice one!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

[MOD EDIT]

LOL at CIA's attempt to get this guy Ghul or whoever get killed by AQ for being a collaborator. Nice one!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Like how the US officially backs the murderous Northern Alliance I guess.

So you think that the Pakistanis let him go to punish him for revealing the information that killed Osama Bin Laden? Sounds plausible. And what the heck of course we back the Northern Alliance, they are the enemies of AQ and the Taliban. No doubt the Pakistanis don't like them cause the NA are killing Taliban and AQ which are protected by Pakistan.

:rofl::rofl: what a and bull story

so lets read it again CIA handed over this man in 2006 after he gave information to CIA about OBL so it means CIA was knowing about OBL since 2006 but why CIA dint act then??

Are you really bad with reading comprehension? Read it again. We needed to find the courier that Hassan Ghul provided. Connect the dots. The courier led to Osama Bin Laden.

Are you really bad with reading comprehension? Read it again. We needed to find the courier that Hassan Ghul provided. Connect the dots. The courier led to Osama Bin Laden.

Your CIA knew from 1999 that terrorists are planning something very big to attack america, they even knew the concerned persons. KSM and the gang. but still 9/11 happened. Does it means CIA is a rouge agency and let this thing happen intentionally

:laugh: hhahahahahahahahahahahahaha lame excuse. if he provided you information about OBL in 2006 why you left him go.

You are really bad on reading.

Instead, Ghul was taken to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan but was later removed over questions about whether the transfer was legal, former CIA officials said. Ghul then was taken to a CIA "black site" — a secret prison — in Eastern Europe and provided crucial information about bin Laden's most trusted courier before he was exposed to harsh interrogation techniques. Ghul's information later allowed the CIA to realize that finding the courier probably would lead to bin Laden.

Former CIA officials said in the rush to close the secret prisons, the U.S. was looking for ways to get rid of some of the remaining two dozen or so detainees in the agency's now-defunct interrogation and detention program. With Pakistan offering to take Ghul, U.S. officials figured they could also build some good will by giving him back, and the CIA had the ISI's pledge that he wouldn't go free.

It's not clear why Pakistan wanted Ghul back so badly, but former CIA officers who targeted Ghul said he had ties to the Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, which had the backing of ISI.

You are really bad on reading.

What a load of horse crap. So your trying to tell me CIA nabbed such a high value target which it conveniently let go just because it was in a hurry to close down the secret prisons????? Then he provided CIA with OBL location back in 2005 yet US did not act. Yes Yahoo is yahooing alright. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What a load of horse crap. So your trying to tell me CIA nabbed such a high value target which it conveniently let go just because it was in a hurry to close down the secret prisons????? Then he provided CIA with OBL location back in 2005 yet US did not act. Yes Yahoo is yahooing alright. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes its true and I was shocked when Obama (didn't vote for him) wanted to bring the rest to trial on American soil!! Some countries did accept most of the detainees and Obama wants to close Gitmo but I don't support that decision and many in the U.S. don't either.

@oldman1:

2000 americans died in 911 and usa has killed over 200,000 people and 90% them are innocents.

35000 Pakistanis died and ISI backs al qaeda?, can u think little before posting any stupid comments?

Yes its true and I was shocked when Obama (didn't vote for him) wanted to bring the rest to trial on American soil!! Some countries did accept most of the detainees and Obama wants to close Gitmo but I don't support that decision and many in the U.S. don't either.

LOL, dude your actually more clueless than you realize, if at all. Read your own constitution, try to understand it. Why should any other country accept the detainees, it was America's problem, deal with it. Denying Gitmo detainees right wont solve problem of terrorism, besides that whole scaremongering was created when it was decided that Gitmo detainee trials would be held in US cities only. It only proved how hollow the US justice system had become. BUT we leave that for some other time.
Right now, I can safely say Americans are more clueless than any other nation on this planet when it comes to double talk and hypocrisy of media and the government.

@oldman1:

2000 americans died in 911 and usa has killed over 200,000 people and 90% them are innocents.

35000 Pakistanis died and ISI backs al qaeda?, can u think little before posting any stupid comments?

You mean roughly 3000 people died including different nationalities and religions including Muslims. And most of the casualties are inflicted by terrorists. You know that. Take a breathe before spouting something like that.

LOL, dude your actually more clueless than you realize, if at all. Read your own constitution, try to understand it. Why should any other country accept the detainees, it was America's problem, deal with it. Denying Gitmo detainees right wont solve problem of terrorism, besides that whole scaremongering was created when it was decided that Gitmo detainee trials would be held in US cities only. It only proved how hollow the US justice system had become. BUT we leave that for some other time.
Right now, I can safely say Americans are more clueless than any other nation on this planet when it comes to double talk and hypocrisy of media and the government.

The constitution says nothing about terrorists' rights since they are not American citizens so don't waste your time accusing me of clueless. Some countries have accepted the terrorists cause many of them are not American citizens but from foreign nations...common sense I know right?

I don't think it matters what you think - Pakistan is playing a dangerous game and fingering US of A (As far as i can tell - it is hurting)...So if you think you can do something go ahead - We'll take our bets.You are in our region and don't mistake our small country for weakness - We may be small but this is our region.

I just posted the article which is my proof. Pakistan promises not to release him but then suddenly doesn't and now hes back to AQ. What does that tell you? Unless its some rogue element in the ISI that sympathizes with AQ. But thats impossible right?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom