What's new

The Largest Country Without Medals in Rio: Pakistan

Well I didn't want rub it against the face of many laughing at AF in olympics so I didn't mention this guy winning a medal last time but still this year AF had a poor showing and in greater scheme we can do better.

The listen here is that we as a region have our priorities in the wrong place and need to think pan region.

We are currently number 1 in Cricket test and Number 10 in Hockey . How awful is that? :D .

Different way of defining access I suppose compared to IEA. Anyways its 2012 data....things have changed a lot for India now....India will be at 100% in next 1 -2 years.

But without knowing more I personally be skeptical just from the standpoint of turning an organization around. It's very difficult to turn around a fortune 500 company much less a lethargic third world bureaucracy -- just changing the top is not sufficient.

Modi agrees with you 100%

Thats's why the absolute first thing Modi did when he took power was this:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/transfer-posting-raj-ends/1/531599.html

Something that completely slipped under the radar of 99% of the media out there (because they are affected negatively by it in many instances since all the time and effort they put into developing concrete vested interests in power circles inside Delhi pretty much vanished into thin air - its the reason why most media groups in India are anti-Modi for the most part now).

This is how there has been much unparalled success in India today in infrastructure based ministries (like power, transport, energy etc reflected in the massive jump India saw in the world logistics index released recently*)....its not because of the top leadership/ministers only (though that is a big part of it too) but all the middle men bureaucrats who are being told to be shipshape or given the boot and replaced by proper technocrats. All performance appraisals/appointments are strictly merit based now compared to before when it mattered who you knew and whether you could grease their fingers enough.

Of course there is a long way to go still (probably the complete term is needed to get a huge chunk of the bureaucracy cleaned and rinsed), but the results of this new system of bureaucracy are already showing up....and quickly expanding to areas such as education, health and sanitation from what I have seen and read. The Indian juggernaut is finally gathering real momentum from its govt being more of an enabler rather than hindrance.....through bureaucratic efficiency, competence and streamlining.

*http://lpi.worldbank.org/international/global

India rank in LPI 2016: 35

India rank in LPI 2014: 54

Different way of defining access I suppose compared to IEA. Anyways its 2012 data....things have changed a lot for India now....India will be at 100% in next 1 -2 years.

Modi agrees with you 100%

Thats's why the absolute first thing Modi did when he took power was this:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/transfer-posting-raj-ends/1/531599.html

Something that completely slipped under the radar of 99% of the media out there (because they are affected negatively by it in many instances since all the time and effort they put into developing concrete vested interests in power circles inside Delhi pretty much vanished into thin air - its the reason why most media groups in India are anti-Modi for the most part now).

This is how there has been much unparalled success in India today in infrastructure based ministries (like power, transport, energy etc reflected in the massive jump India saw in the world logistics index released recently*)....its not because of the top leadership/ministers only (though that is a big part of it too) but all the middle men bureaucrats who are being told to be shipshape or given the boot and replaced by proper technocrats. All performance appraisals/appointments are strictly merit based now compared to before when it mattered who you knew and whether you could grease their fingers enough.

Of course there is a long way to go still (probably the complete term is needed to get a huge chunk of the bureaucracy cleaned and rinsed), but the results of this new system of bureaucracy are already showing up....and quickly expanding to areas such as education, health and sanitation from what I have seen and read. The Indian juggernaut is finally gathering real momentum from its govt being more of an enabler rather than hindrance.....through bureaucratic efficiency, competence and streamlining.

*http://lpi.worldbank.org/international/global

India rank in LPI 2016: 35

India rank in LPI 2014: 54

mmm again even in a fortune 500 company in the US -- transforming an enterprise is sometimes a decades long process in an organization that is profit motivated -- can fire people on the spot.

Hey -- maybe miracles can happen -- I guess we can have coffee in 2019 ... but all of this defies gravity.

As a corollary -- there are a lot of schools in Pakistan but the staff simply does not show up -- the same thing goes for Afghanistan -- a lot of kids are in school but that's on paper.

Yes teacher absenteeism is a problem in India too (not so much according to UNESCO but still significant esp in underdeveloped areas that need teachers the most). Again Modi govt has made this a lynchpin of the new education policy that has been drafted and is being peer reviewed now....while implementing the monitoring and accreditation program for the time being now (not waiting idly for the whole policy to be vetted like a previous admin would have done).

Yes teacher absenteeism is a problem in India too (not so much according to UNESCO but still significant esp in underdeveloped areas that need teachers the most). Again Modi govt has made this a lynchpin of the new education policy that has been drafted and is being peer reviewed now....while implementing the monitoring and accreditation program for the time being now (not waiting idly for the whole policy to be vetted like a previous admin would have done).

I'll take my leave from this conversation -- I know nothing about this area so I should keep my mouth shut.

Hey -- maybe miracles can happen -- I guess we can have coffee in 2019 ... but all of this defies gravity.

I judge purely by the results on the ground. Never have I seen 1000's of villages being electrified in such a short span of time before....that too verified by the actual people and local NGOs on the ground. Thats a big first....and it cannot be happening at this rate if there was just a changing of the guard at the top only. The top has been instrumental in changing what the competence and quality of the "middle" is like....and actively wants it to keep improving its performance (and monitoring if this is the case)....which has never happened before.

Honestly this is so sad on the part of Pakistan Government, Sports Board and Pakistani Olympic Association, very perturbed that no medals in Olympics. :(:(:(

We don't have any professional Olympians, among other issues including cultural ones, and economic. Olympians just aren't recognised in Pakistan, nor are they assisted by the government, I bet a lot of our team that participates in the Olympics have day jobs, part time jobs to make ends meet. People like that can't compete and win on this level.

The lack of success is hardly surprising. Same goes for India, once both countries develop, this should improve.

And run a successful doping program. No one wins gold in athletics and weightlifting without doping. Just be smart and use designer drugs, rather than tradition ones which can be detected.

And you need trannies for women olympice. In Olympic 800m race, real women has came 5th. Top 4 are trannies which have been allowed to compete as women from this year.

Unless Pakistan import full blooded negros, it has exactly zero chance to win a track and field medal. Same goes for all South Asian countries.

Person of Indian origin had won it in 1994.

+Awards like Nobel and Turing are heavily politicized.

Thats exactly why God gifted us with the Makran Coast.no need to import anyone

(((Uri Friedman's))) country has won only two bronze medals , what is going on about Pakistan ?

Notice how he mentions cricket ... lol ... loser knows Pakistan is one of the best team in cricket so he made only a glancing mention of it

I am astonished no Indian has won this award as they investing heavily in the field of IT.

Well the IT investment has 99.9% been "following" (already developed stuff) rather than "trend-setting" (i.e top level RnD). The latter has only somewhat started now and will take 10+ years or so to produce real results at the highest tiers that turing award and others concern.

There has been an Indian-American co-awardee: Raj Reddy in 1994 for A.I developments.

Frankly speaking, the two medals that India won should be celebrated by all in the subcontinent/SAARC.

At the end of the day we all have the same culture, problems and attitude...

Back
Top Bottom