What's new

The Hard-Working Culture(aspects of the world’s most convincing success story)

Oh, sorry. You mean the movie. I watched that before, since you've mentioned it in English I didn't recognise it at first time. 当幸福来敲门(In China, it was translated into When happiness knocks the door)
Oh,, okey,, lol.

Or if you want to see playboy like work culture ( which I love :P), then watch Wolf of Wallstreet. ( I dont know what it call in Chinese). :undecided:

Culture dictates family structure, which in turn dictates how children grow up to be successful adults.
The impact on child's mental development is profound in a broken family.They grow up to imitate their parents and end up with Broken families, its a cycle.Unfortunately, some countries in the pursuit of Modernism and Liberalism have forgotten the basic things which keep their society and family values.

Even in modern societies like the U.S., there are communities with an incomplete family structure. Look for example some African American families that have predominantly single parent households. And then one wonders some social dis mobility , and social incongruity.

Even in modern societies like the U.S., there are communities with an incomplete family structure. Look for example some African American families that have predominantly single parent households. And then one wonders some social dis mobility , and social incongruity.
Exactly, While most Asian families in USA are in above average income bracket,because of the family structure and it's support to the children to get at least a College degree.That kind of support cannot happen if you are single parent,Two caring hands are better than one.

I hope our politicians and bureaucrats are reading this! But even if they do, nothing will change. It's like flogging a dead horse to get up and walk!

It might be hard to superimpose a foreign cultural paradigm like Confucianism on India, which is a civilization state in itself. Your politicians could (quite legitimately) argue that doing so is tantamount to cultural imperialism.

BTW, India, like China is not a cultural monolith. Some regional cultures in India indeed have a strong work ethic, and perhaps they can inspire the rest of the country. When I was in the UK, I found that my Indian colleagues from Gujarat were astoundingly disciplined.

It might be hard to superimpose a foreign cultural paradigm like Confucianism on India, which is a civilization state in itself. Your politicians could (quite legitimately) argue that doing so is tantamount to cultural imperialism.

BTW, India, like China is not a cultural monolith. Some regional cultures in India indeed have a strong work ethic, and perhaps they can inspire the rest of the country. When I was in the UK, I found that my Indian colleagues from Gujarat were astoundingly disciplined.

Not just Gujarati, but people from Kerala , the Malayali are extremely educated, pragmatic and industrious. They should be a role model for all Indians.

Lol sell newspapers eh? Yea that's not my forte. I'd see you in the next life lol

@AndrewJin remember death is light as a feather.... ;)
I watched some Japanese movies about the beauty of death, which is part of Japanese culture I think. Concerning attitude towards death, Chinese is different.

人固有一死,或重于泰山,或轻于鸿毛
(traditional Chinese, 人固有一死,或重於泰山,或輕於鴻毛
English translation Though death befalls all men alike, it may be weightier than Mount Tai or lighter than a feather.

Quoted from A Letter To Ren'an, from Records of the Grand Historian (史記)by Sima Qian 2000 years ago.

人固有一死,或重于泰山,或轻于鸿毛,用之所趋异也。太上不辱先,其次不辱身,其次不辱理色,其次不辱辞令,其次诎体受辱;其次易服受辱,其次关木索,被菙楚受辱,其次剔毛发,婴金铁受辱,其次毁肌肤,断肢体受辱,最下腐刑极矣。
The great historian Sima Qian wrote these words to his friend Ren'an who was in jail.

p.s. In middle school we had to recite the whole article of A Letter To Ren'an. I was not so into that article from Records of the Grand Historian. But now, these words are influencing me every single day. I just cannot believe I can still remember all these words and many other ideas from Classical Chinese lessons.

Last edited:
I watched some Japanese movies about the beauty of death, which is part of Japanese culture I think. Concerning attitude towards death, Chinese is different.

人固有一死,或重于泰山,或轻于鸿毛
(traditional Chinese, 人固有一死,或重於泰山,或輕於鴻毛
Though death befalls all men alike, it may be weightier than Mount Tai or lighter than a feather.

Quoted from A Letter To Ren'an, from Records of the Grand Historian (史記)by Si Maqian 2000 years ago.

人固有一死,或重于泰山,或轻于鸿毛,用之所趋异也。太上不辱先,其次不辱身,其次不辱理色,其次不辱辞令,其次诎体受辱;其次易服受辱,其次关木索,被菙楚受辱,其次剔毛发,婴金铁受辱,其次毁肌肤,断肢体受辱,最下腐刑极矣。
The great writer Si Maqian wrote these words to his friend Ren'an who was in jail.

p.s. In middle school we had to recite the whole article of A Letter To Ren'an. I was not so into that article from Records of the Grand Historian. But now, these words are influencing me every single day. I just cannot believe I can still remember all these words and many other ideas from Classical Chinese lessons.

Death is part of life, for Japanese that still consider Bushido in their daily lives, the quality of ones' life is more preferable than the quantity , and perfection in one's duties is part of that overall qualitative aspect. There is nobility in death.

Death is part of life, for Japanese that still consider Bushido in their daily lives, the quality of ones' life is more preferable than the quantity , and perfection in one's duties is part of that overall qualitative aspect. There is nobility in death.
In 96 BC, on his release from prison, Sima chose to live on as a palace eunuch to complete his histories, rather than commit suicide as was expected of a gentleman-scholar. As Sima Qian himself explained in his Letter to Ren An:

“ If even the lowest slave and scullion maid can bear to commit suicide, why should not one like myself be able to do what has to be done? But the reason I have not refused to bear these ills and have continued to live, dwelling in vileness and disgrace without taking my leave, is that I grieve that I have things in my heart which I have not been able to express fully, and I am shamed to think that after I am gone my writings will not be known to posterity. Too numerous to record are the men of ancient times who were rich and noble and whose names have yet vanished away. It is only those who were masterful and sure, the truly extraordinary men, who are still remembered. ... I too have ventured not to be modest but have entrusted myself to my useless writings. I have gathered up and brought together the old traditions of the world which were scattered and lost. I have examined the deeds and events of the past and investigated the principles behind their success and failure, their rise and decay, in one hundred and thirty chapters. I wished to examine into all that concerns heaven and man, to penetrate the changes of the past and present, completing all as the work of one family. But before I had finished my rough manuscript, I met with this calamity. It is because I regretted that it had not been completed that I submitted to the extreme penalty without rancor. When I have truly completed this work, I shall deposit it in the Famous Mountain. If it may be handed down to men who will appreciate it, and penetrate to the villages and great cities, then though I should suffer a thousand mutilations, what regret should I have?

p.s. I check the original Chinese, i think the translator deleted most words and names, this translation should be only a keynote.

Oh,, okey,, lol.

Or if you want to see playboy like work culture ( which I love :P), then watch Wolf of Wallstreet. ( I dont know what it call in Chinese). :undecided:
LOL. In Chinese, that's literal translation.:-)

Last edited:
Chinese no doubt can be as workaholic as Japanese & Koreans. but we EA people sometimes take it to an unhealthy level which can also raise issues. anyway being addicted to work is much MUCH better than waiting for handouts on the streets. we should all thank Confucian values for shaping this mindset of the East Asians today.

the Chinese (EA) work ethic is deeply intertwined with our history and cultural traditions that although other countries can certainly learn from it, it's rather difficult to do a quick copy without having any significant impact on local cultures. in that respect it's probably more productive to dig into one's own history & traditions for further reference instead of just looking at seemingly successful West & EA.

i read somewhere that Japanese think death is the noble end for everyone including those who've committed crimes, while in contrast Chinese due to ancestral worship believe part of our life continues with our families and offspring even after death. is that somewhat an accurate description?

Last edited:
In our culture, there is a spirit called ..
4652985_161025049342_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom