What's new

The Food Ranger 'What Makes Pakistan So AMAZING'

You know I noticed a pattern. Foreigners on arriving will say "wow that was amazing Pakistani food". After week or so "wow that was amazing Desi food", Few months later abroad "wow that amazing Indian food".

You know I noticed a pattern. Foreigners on arriving will say "wow that was amazing Pakistani food". After week or so "wow that was amazing Desi food", Few months later abroad "wow that amazing Indian food".
No that's not true at all. I visited Pakistan in 2017 with a dozen of Eurpeans (mostly Swedes) and even today, they miss Pakistani food and tell everyone about and three of them have visited Pakistan again with their friends & family.

I think you seriously need to either change your company of friends or broaden your circle....

Everyone I know has first asked me the difference between Pakistani and indian food...And even after taking them to an indian restaurant followed by feeding them home cooked Pakistani food...BELIEVE ME, they were less confused and NEVER made a mistake of confused labeling! Then again my circle of friends include people in university [working and students] ...so maybe they needed to prove they are not ignorant and have high observation skills....but I have never faced what you claim...

Sure, I myself sometimes call our food desi but they always called it Pakistani coz I took them to indian restaurant and they noticed the difference AND remember it/ kept it in mind...

My American neighbours ALWAYS differentiated the 2 from the start coz they had experienced both types in California as they had friends from both groups...So, I guess it really depends on what kind of "people" you are surrounded with...

I think you seriously need to either change your company of friends or broaden your circle....
I know your a moderator here but that does not add one bit of credence to what your saying, because it is bollocks. It's not nice to live in delusions. I have travelled the world and I know there is almost zero footprint or identity of something called 'Pakistani food'. Almost without fail what is Pakistan food is branded as Indian. That is a fact and pretending otherwise is not only dumb but will do nothing resolve the issue.

I know your a moderator here but that does not add one bit of credence to what your saying, because it is bollocks. It's not nice to live in delusions. I have travelled the world and I know there is almost zero footprint or identity of something called 'Pakistani food'. Almost without fail what is Pakistan food is branded as Indian. That is a fact and pretending otherwise is not only dumb but will do nothing resolve the issue.
1) Read again what I wrote in context of what I wrote
2)
BELIEVE ME, they were less confused and NEVER made a mistake of confused labeling!
So, what I am saying is I "trained" them...

To sum it up, I took it upon myself to be the brand ambassador for Pakistani food and culture..

So kindly watch your language ...JUST because I do not sing to your tunes does not mean you lose the capability of reading within context!

1) Read again what I wrote in context of what I wrote
I read what you said and I arrive at trhe same meaning I did the first time. To test my hypothesis I just googled 'Pakistan restaurent Birmingham' a city which has huge Pakistani derived population. Here is what I get.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...d52.47296842370212!2d-1.8676628413086291!5i12

On the left bar almost all are using 'Indian. Halal, Desi', Kashmiri branding.

bookmark_05811f36-ef2d-4a17-91b0-4c2941f9db43.png

94310a92-074e-43e6-987f-d34ff3476a48-medium16x9_Clip0113.MXF.20_25_16_30.Still001.jpg

@Dubious If you can find me one Indian owned restaurent flogging itself as 'Pakistani' or hyphenating 'Indian' with 'Pakistani' I will be ready to do a puja to Lord Ganesh. On the contrary most Pak owned establishments go as Desi, Halal, Indian, Asian and most ignore 'Pakistan' and or if they do use it hypenate it.

I read what you said and I arrive at trhe same meaning I did the first time. To test my hypothesis I just googled 'Pakistan restaurent Birmingham' a city which has huge Pakistani derived population. Here is what I get.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...d52.47296842370212!2d-1.8676628413086291!5i12

On the left bar almost all are using 'Indian. Halal, Desi', Kashmiri branding.

Well, to be honest, British "Pakistanis" - some actually came from British Raj [My landlady's parents did] so SUCH people use word DESI...as for others...they followed suit.

And like I said...I took it upon myself to "fix" the problem and it was appreciated ....If British "Pakistanis" dont wish to "fix" the "problem" , then let them be happy about it....

If you are totally honest with yourself, SOMETIMES Pakistani food is also thrown in with "middle eastern" [ https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d15659697-Reviews-Shahi_tandoori-Brussels.html ] and many a times...indian food is devoid of South indian food....Soo does this mean india or indianess has nothing to do with South india?

@Dubious If you can find me one Indian owned restaurent flogging itself as 'Pakistani' or hyphenating 'Indian' with 'Pakistani'

Get your Ganesh ready:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Reviews-SWAAD_Indian_Restaurant-Istanbul.html

New Indian restaurant by Chef Hermon Norman in Centennial, Colorado offering fresh and delicious Indian, Pakistani, and middle eastern cuisine.
http://lahorecolorado.com/

you can get some of the best Indian-Pakistani cuisine in Seattle.

perfecting family recipes that have been used for centuries, and creating new recipes that are bold and original like his famous Chicken Tikka Sandwich and Jaipuri Curry.

http://eatatshalimar.com/

I just been up big road in midlands with alot of Pak business. None labelled as Indian. I don't think its that common, although I have seen alot of Bengali restaurants labelled as indian, the ones you get in outer areas especially.

I just been up big road in midlands with alot of Pak business. None labelled as Indian. I don't think its that common, although I have seen alot of Bengali restaurants labelled as indian, the ones you get in outer areas especially.
Approximately nine in 10 curry restaurants in the UK are Bangladeshi owned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-feeling-heat-owners-arent-innovative-enough/

I guess after 1970s ...They would rather call themselves indian than Pakistani!

Everyone I know has first asked me the difference between Pakistani and indian food...And even after taking them to an indian restaurant followed by feeding them home cooked Pakistani food...BELIEVE ME, they were less confused and NEVER made a mistake of confused labeling! Then again my circle of friends include people in university [working and students] ...so maybe they needed to prove they are not ignorant and have high observation skills....but I have never faced what you claim...

Sure, I myself sometimes call our food desi but they always called it Pakistani coz I took them to indian restaurant and they noticed the difference AND remember it/ kept it in mind...

My American neighbours ALWAYS differentiated the 2 from the start coz they had experienced both types in California as they had friends from both groups...So, I guess it really depends on what kind of "people" you are surrounded with...
Until and unless, they interact with overseas-Pakistanis or visit Pakistan, they do not get to know about the differences in Indian and Pakistani cuisines but once they have done it, they do not make this mistake. However, it depends on their Pakistani friends as well that how much they explain to them.
Pakistani food contains a lot more meat though even Indians restaurants use meat as well for marketing but the taste and quantity of meat based recipes is much higher in Pakistani cuisine. Furthermore, our spices are different even the garam masala taste different... by Shaan, National, Laziza or any other Pakistani brand vs any Indian brand...the taste, texture and smell are different. And then simply there are a lot recipes which are exclusive like dam-pukht, chapali kebab, takatak, bakra mussalalam.. Lahore Naan, chikkar cholay, siri payeee in Pakistani cuisine while dhokla, dossa etc. And generally, Indians use stronger spices especially more chilli.

Last edited:
even the garam masala taste different
THIS I can def agree to...I have nearly choked on the indian blend....and an indian colleague literally put that shit in everything!

by Shaan, National, Laziza
I have introduced these to my indian colleagues...GIFTED them a box or 2 so that they dont kill me with their spices!

And generally, Indians use stronger spices especially more chilli
They use haldi like my dadi would give us phakki!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom