What's new

The F-35 Can't Beat The Plane It's Replacing In A Dogfight

C130

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
The F-35 Can't Beat The Plane It's Replacing In A Dogfight: Report

i'm not particularly fond of the F-35, but is this really a big deal??? can't advance short range missiles with HMC hit the enemy 90 degree off boresight?? F-35 has DAS that can see in 360 degree spherical. couldn't you just fire your Aim-9X with datalink and it can turn 180 degree and hit the enemy plane behind you??

i'm not particularly fond of the F-35, but is this really a big deal??? can't advance short range missiles with HMC hit the enemy 90 degree off boresight?? F-35 has DAS that can see in 360 degree spherical. couldn't you just fire your Aim-9X with datalink and it can turn 180 degree and hit the enemy plane behind you??

The missile will bleed-off a tremendous amount of energy if it tries to do that.

The missile will bleed-off tremendous amounts of energy if it tries to do that.
true, but Aim-9X block 3 is to have 60% longer range than previous Sidewinders, you only need to go so far within visual range.

i'm sure they can improve the kinematics.

You're right about the weapons beating the skill part. With the sophistication of weapons, pilot skill is becoming irrelevant now. With smart BVRs and agile smart WVR weapons, dogfighting will soon become a relic like skip bombing. The F-35 will be like a mini AWACS though, jamming and scrambling signals while scanning the battle field within another bandwidth.

F-35 has DAS that can see in 360 degree spherical. couldn't you just fire your Aim-9X with datalink and it can turn 180 degree and hit the enemy plane behind you??
Yes

"The AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder, also known as the AIM-9X Block II, is the next generation of the AIM-9X missile adding a lock-on-after-launch capability, redesigned fuze and a one-way forward-quarter datalink capability to the AIM-9X Block I air-to-air missile."

Lets face it, with tech like this dogfights are a thing of the past.

It was AF-2 from LRIP-1:

5qfhBR4.jpg

As u can see its performance is very very limited compare to standard F-35:

- Subsonic speed.
- 18 grad Alpha instead of 50 grad.
- 5 g instead of 9 g.
- No weapons.
- No Stealth coating.

Back
Top Bottom