What's new

The City Losing Its Children to H.I.V.

This is beyond tragic.

What the hell happened to lead to this? Is there no control on hygiene and basic use of syringes?

- Chronic low health spending going back decades by all political parties in Pakistan.

- A lack of affordable, safe medical clinics (we're not talking expensive multi-deparment hospitals here) with properly medically trained staff who know about basic hygiene and follow infection control procedures and use single use equipment once.

--------> Lead to a proliferation of cheap corrupt quack clinics, dentists, circumcisers , barbers and others who reuse needles, surgical instruments, and other equipment infecting the community.

- Low information and largely poor parents who seem to prefer hyperdermic injections for treatable childhood diarrhea over oral tablets.

- Spillover from Afghan war and heroin trade, which has led to an epidemic of heroin addiction in Pakistan and proliferation of discarded drug user equipment such as needles.

Now the latest estimate (2017) of people living with HIV (PLHIV) was 150,0002 . In 2018, 21,000 new PLHIV cases were recorded.

This so called 'local' epidemic is on the verge of tearing through all sectors of Pakistani society unless we all demand something is done now. Children aren't just dying, they are suffering and dying. EVEN IF PEOPLE HAVE TO GO VILLAGE TO VILLAGE EDUCATING PEOPLE about this we will save children's lives. We all have to do something practical now because the alternative is too upsetting .

Last edited:
Yes @Bilal. But this is a tragedy of epic proportions that cuts across all political and corrupt lines . The children that have been screen and diagnosed represent the tip of the ice berg. For every one child diagnosed we have to assume there are maybe 10 or more who haven't been and this isn't limited to Sindh. Personally I need to do something about this, so requesting information from longstanding friends on this forum about Zakat organisations (not scam artists) that are either setting up safe clinics or supporting the children or their familes with antiretroviral medication costs. @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Zarvan @Dr. Strangelove @Horus @HRK @The Eagle @The Accountant @Arsalan @Bilal. @Basel @The Deterrent @Galactic Penguin SST @A.Rafay

I am not aware of any specific charity organization working particularly on this matter. But as someone pointed out Indus Hospital is providing good medical service free of cost throughout Sindh.

thanks to covid 19 , what little focus the govt did have on other diseases is now GONE

------------

My best friend in punjab died of AIDS he was a injecting drug user once saw him and a few of his mates inject using the same syringe at his farmhouse . It is not a easy death and worse is how his family reacted instead of getting healthcare which was available and they were not short of cash they blamed it on black magic and followed a babas advice . But to lose a child or family member because of money saving is even worse

The negligence (or outright disdain) towards the issue is a crime, but our system doesn't recognize such things as crimes. Hence, the ones responsible aren't going to be held accountable unless the system changes.

felling is same but .... I have no words to express feeling

This is a natural consequence of the order of national priorities, where social services and human resource development must take a back seat to other higher priorities, and therefore should not be a surprise. It is also correctable, if national priorities can be re-defined.

Classic examples of bureaucratic apathy-turned-criminality, commercialization of health, breakdown of basic human decency and absolute zero sense of shame.

As I've said before,
'There's a point, far out there, where the structures fail you. Where the rules aren't weapons anymore, they are shackles.'

Our entire system of governance, justice and administration benefits the criminals and the corrupt. The laws, rules and regulations have been molded by a criminal elite to horde power and wealth.

No change can come from within this system. We need a Napolean Bonaparte. Nothing less will do.

Back
Top Bottom