What's new

"That's just your Opinion!"

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I want to get somethings clear, all of us like to debate here and argue, and many of us here have read others dismissing a point or argument as "That's just your opinion!".

Let's get this clear, you don't have a right to an opinion, to have an opinion you must have experience and background knowledge (education, training) on that particular subject, and the degree of those two vary among members.

When you tell someone "that's just your opinion" you should make sure you have a better understanding, more knowledge, and training, than that person whose opinion you are dismissing because if you don't you don't have a valid right to have that opinion.

For example, if we have an Aeronautical engineering Professional stating his "OPINION" about avionics, radars, aerodynamics, flight, aerospace engineering, etc you cannot just dismiss that with "well that's just your opinion" because unless you have the same experience, training, and education that, that person has your own opinion means nothing.

Same thing if a person has years of training, experience, or practice with a certain subject, that's persons opinion means more than your own opinion unless your aforementioned factors are greater than theirs.

If you are a doctor, scientist, technician, engineer, computer scientist, you have a right to your professional or expert opinion, it's not "just an opinion". Just like if I or someone else is arguing with someone who is an aerospace engineer or professional medical doctor their opinions means more than my opinion in their respective profession.

Now I hope we all understand what "opinion" really means.

-A1

We got 'scientists' here with zero rational thinking and trying to confuse us with technical words of that profession.
Unless we know the calibre of the person, we will never know whether we are talking to an expert or just a guy who does not know what he is doing.
So just your opinion and I disagree with you here. :p:

LOL. What made you go on this rant, did somebody eat our goats with that common response of "Thats your opinion"?

But yes, I agree with what you are trying to say. Let me try to reformulate it:

Some things are a matter of personal opinion, but some things are a matter of fact. Whether Kadai chicken is tastier than Chicken Amritsari is a matter of opinion. Whether Aishwarya Rai is more beautiful than Preity Zinta is also a matter of personal opinion. But whether a delta winged aircraft has a better STR than a conventional winged aircraft is NOT a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact. Whether the radioactive decay of Plutonium produces Uranium or Gold is also a matter of fact, not of personal opinion.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but not to their own facts. Or to paraphrase CP Scott, "Comment is free, but facts are sacred."

LOL. What made you go on this rant, did somebody eat our goats with that common response of "Thats your opinion"?

But yes, I agree with what you are trying to say. Let me try to reformulate it:

Some things are a matter of personal opinion, but some things are a matter of fact. Whether Kadai chicken is tastier than Chicken Amritsari is a matter of opinion. Whether Aishwarya Rai is more beautiful than Preity Zinta is also a matter of personal opinion. But whether a delta winged aircraft has a better STR than a conventional winged aircraft is NOT a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact. Whether the radioactive decay of Plutonium produces Uranium or Gold is also a matter of fact, not of personal opinion.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but not to their own facts. Or to paraphrase CP Scott, "Comment is free, but facts are sacred."

It's just a common problem I am seeing on the forum.

Ahan ...!!! Recently someone said this to you ...? :whistle:

Ok we got it. Ar-15 is better than AK- 47.
This is just not my opinion btw I watched all Daniel defense videos.

Ok we got it. Ar-15 is better than AK- 47.
This is just not my opinion btw I watched all Daniel defense videos.

Don't try to simplify it, people were trying to argue the Ak-47 was practically flawless and the Ar-15 is inferior by all parameters. I argue on a factual basis about this myth that the AK-47 is not as flawless as others like to believe, and yes Daniel Defense torture test is one of the most rigorous tests for any firearm.

Don't try to simplify it, people were trying to argue the Ak-47 was practically flawless and the Ar-15 is inferior by all parameters. I argue on a factual basis about this myth that the AK-47 is not as flawless as others like to believe, and yes Daniel Defense torture test is one of the most rigorous tests for any firearm.
I saw how you maintained your point and explained your opinion and backed with evidence and videos of trusted sources. The other guys started abuses, they lacked the sensibility to carry on their opinion and present it as such.

You did good thing to open this thread, to prevent misbehaving in future.

We got 'scientists' here with zero rational thinking and trying to confuse us with technical words of that profession.
Unless we know the calibre of the person, we will never know whether we are talking to an expert or just a guy who does not know what he is doing.
So just your opinion and I disagree with you here. :p:

Hi,

For that very reason---I had always insisted that the age and background of the poster should be in his / hers introduction page----so the reader may know where the person is coming from.

Hi,

For that very reason---I had always insisted that the age and background of the poster should be in his / hers introduction page----so the reader may know where the person is coming from.

I don't look at a person's title, age, tenure, number of posts or claimed background.

I look at the content of the post.

If an argument is logical and supported by legitimate references, that's all that counts.

Hi,

I disagree, I dont mind age or background, if somebody is not making sense I will stop arguing instead of stopping him/her.
And in my observation(and to my surprise) quite a lot of young people are much more reasonable than older folks on pdf.

I want to get somethings clear, all of us like to debate here and argue, and many of us here have read others dismissing a point or argument as "That's just your opinion!".

Let's get this clear, you don't have a right to an opinion, to have an opinion you must have experience and background knowledge (education, training) on that particular subject, and the degree of those two vary among members.

When you tell someone "that's just your opinion" you should make sure you have a better understanding, more knowledge, and training, than that person whose opinion you are dismissing because if you don't you don't have a valid right to have that opinion.

For example, if we have an Aeronautical engineering Professional stating his "OPINION" about avionics, radars, aerodynamics, flight, aerospace engineering, etc you cannot just dismiss that with "well that's just your opinion" because unless you have the same experience, training, and education that, that person has your own opinion means nothing.

Same thing if a person has years of training, experience, or practice with a certain subject, that's persons opinion means more than your own opinion unless your aforementioned factors are greater than theirs.

If you are a doctor, scientist, technician, engineer, computer scientist, you have a right to your professional or expert opinion, it's not "just an opinion". Just like if I or someone else is arguing with someone who is an aerospace engineer or professional medical doctor their opinions means more than my opinion in their respective profession.

Now I hope we all understand what "opinion" really means.
-A1

Well, what you've just said is your opinion!!! :rofl:

Ok, just joking! But seriously, there are posters out here who are a dime a dozen who pretend to be the last word on most subjects. But then, it takes all types to make this world!

Hinduguy, developereo,

With the professionals that I have dealt with---in meetings, gathering, seminars and all thru the professional life----this is a norm that I have come across---your introduction needs to state who you are, where you are coming from and WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THAT YOU WANT TO SAY.

Your argument of 'making sense ' without a substantiated proof of how you came to that conclusion is not good enough---. That substantiated claim comes from your background history---you rjob---your education---your work experience---. If it is not accepted in professional life---in business---in court of law or otherwise---.

So----in 1982 or 1980 my uncle living in DG Khan buys a Datsun 120. It has fabric interior and fabric on the inside of the roof---windows have slight tint on it---has rear window defrost but it is a base model for datsun.

Here was a discussion going among my cousin and mechanics in DG khan and all had their 'reasoning---their comparison was to base model toyota and mazda which had plasctic seats and plastic lining inside of the roof---the interior on the datsun 120 was really nice, compartatively.

The discussion goes like this and every one agreed to it---datsun had produced more higher end cars---they were not able to sell them---so they put base model stickers on them and thus sold them as base model. Okay---. Now couple of years later I am in the u s for auto engr---now I learn that the base model of one manufacturer is not necessarily the same as that of the other manufacturer. Some even came with standard rear window defrost at that time and had nice fabric interiors rather than plastic.

So---when both of you say "I decide"----my question is where does your experience come from to say yeah or nay to what you are reading----or listening to. Indeed young people have a lots of intelligent things to say---but then they utter a lots of garbage as well---when all of their info comes from wiki---when they understand the maximum range of an air to air missile is to be its maximum effective range as well----when they don't know at what distance the kill ratio drops from 96% to below 50 %----when they cannot differentiate between the importance of a weather proven system to a brand new system---actually they don't even know about it that such a thing exists---so talk all they may---.

Remember---not all talk that makes sense is right---.

Back
Top Bottom