What's new

That’s just not cricket

New Shivaji

BANNED
Reaction score
In the age of stump microphones, slow-motion lip reading, and ICC penal codes for racist slurs on the field, Pakistan’s pioneer sports channel has come up with an unbelievable series promo.

The private sports channel’s teaser for the upcoming India-Sri Lanka cricket series defies belief. As video clips showing Sri Lankan cricketers in action are screened, the soundtrack is provided by an old Hindi film song, the lyrics of which are: ‘Hum kaalay hain toh kya huwa dil walay hain.’ That roughly translates to, ‘so what if we are black, we are hearty sportsmen nonetheless.’

The promo pretty much leaves me speechless. In an age where tolerance, diversity, and respect are the grandest ideals, who in their right minds could go to such an extent? I wonder if the channel’s legal advisers (if there are any) or cricket experts (of which there are plenty) are aware of the marketing department’s latest feat.

For a moment, let’s forget about the ICC rules regarding racism. What impression will this blunder leave on the foreign viewers’ minds (let’s leave aside local viewers, who are probably enjoying it)? What will the Lankan team think if they ever have the misfortune of coming across this channel? Shouldn’t more sensitivity be on the cards given Pakistan’s tainted relationship with this team in particular?

We as a nation should be grateful for international channels such as Star Sports, ESPN, and Super Sport, for they give much less painful alternatives to sports fans in Pakistan. Not all of us are willing to overlook the audacity.

Hafsa Adil is a sports editor at Dawn.com.

Which channel is that - which is so insensitive to racism ? Pakistani members might help here.

I see this Video & i am very much against it ...

Total Racism by Geo Super ..

Hi,

Geo tv has been doing it for many years---they had picutres of west indian players in a jingle and monkey references or something like that----I was surprised that the west indian players didnot sue them---or maybe nobody told the west indian players what the jungle meant---the comments were made about the retd WI players.

Back
Top Bottom